Headphones in the 200.00 price range
Apr 15, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ3810
I agree. I like these better than the 225s. No amp/re-cabling required. I believe these are the best you can do with a $200 budget. Please audition the 595s before you make your final purchase.

Seconded!!
icon10.gif
cool.gif

Apr 15, 2005 at 4:12 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalManCPA
Audio Technica ATH-A900 from Audio Cubes for $200.

Great all-around performer. No amping necessary. Closed, so minimal sound leakage.

Of course, most people will tell you whatever they own is the best. And yes, I own the A900's.

Second, A900, A700, or A500 are great cans for the $200 and below range and don't require an amp. They comfortable and provides a good level of detail. Some may say that the Audio Technica cans sound nasaly or the mids are recessed but to my ears I don't find it so.

Apr 21, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #18 of 31
thanks guys! Well I'll tell you what. I do need cans.. That's for sure. I do not want any sound leakage. I would not mind re-wiring the phones or amping them however I do not know what that entails. I need to be able to bring the phones to different computers, and different sound studios. If re-wiring the phones takes a lot of work I really don't want to do that. As far as sound goes, I really listen to bands such as Finch, The Used, Motion City Soundtrack, Lucky Boys Confusion. I need the phones for that purpose, but I also need them for the studio, listening to vocals and editing sound. Hope that helps. I think the Sennie's and the Grados are out of the question... So that narrows it down a tid bit.

Apr 21, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #19 of 31
Yes, the Grados and Senn 595s are out if you wanted no leakage. Closed headphones under $200 that you might want to consider (besides the A900 already mentioned): The Senn 280 and Beyer 250-80

Apr 22, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #20 of 31
Sounds like you're going to be travelling with these, right? The A900s and AKG 271s may sound great but I think they would be too fragile if you're throwing them in a bag a lot. You might want to add "durable" and "foldable" to your criteria. Senn HD280 Pro's fold. Ultrasones use the same headband, maybe someone can offer an opinion on those. Sony V6/7506. There are others.

Like some other people have said, Best Buy has nothing good for headphones. Do you have a Guitar Center in your area? A music store might actually be a better place to look than a regular retail place. Best prices are going to be online though. Take a look at the sponsors at the top of the page, they're all very reputable dealers.

Apr 22, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by resevil83
thanks guys! Well I'll tell you what. I do need cans.. That's for sure. I do not want any sound leakage. I would not mind re-wiring the phones or amping them however I do not know what that entails. I need to be able to bring the phones to different computers, and different sound studios. If re-wiring the phones takes a lot of work I really don't want to do that. As far as sound goes, I really listen to bands such as Finch, The Used, Motion City Soundtrack, Lucky Boys Confusion. I need the phones for that purpose, but I also need them for the studio, listening to vocals and editing sound. Hope that helps. I think the Sennie's and the Grados are out of the question... So that narrows it down a tid bit.

Recabling can take alot of work, depending on the headphone. On some, you can just order the cable, unplug the other one, and snap in the new one. Others are harder, requiring surgery on your headphone. Unless you are good with those things, you should send it out to have it done. Amping the headphone would require you to buy a headphone amp, and it sounds like you need a portable one. Depending on your price range, you can look into Headroom amps, or something along the lines of a Supermacro or a SR-71.

Apr 22, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #22 of 31
Best Buy carries mostly Sony, Maxell and some crappy Koss. They don't even carry the passable Sony and Koss headphones (Sony V6 and up, Koss KSC75, portapros, sportapros).

Utterly worthless for headphones, though I still like the place.

Apr 22, 2005 at 9:43 AM Post #23 of 31
I want cans for sure. and for me traveling around... it's no big deal, I was planning on buying some sort of case to keep my headphones in. I'm going to carry them with me and hold on tight. I don't really want to re-cable unless it's going to be really easy, and for amping.. how big are they? what kind of connections do they use? Best buy is out of the question! I do have a guitar center probabally about 25 minutes away. So I should look at the akg's for sure? I mean If I went with akg's would I be able to tell the difference between their 200 brand and there 150 or 100?

So there are also Shures, etymotics, Audio Technica ATH-A900, and senns 595's.. isn't sennhesier or whatever senns?? I Thought those were out of the question. I have heard about sony, akg, and shure. I know shures are good at producing microphones!
tongue.gif
I am going to go to guitar center and tell you guys my opinion. I wish something would just pop out at me.

Apr 22, 2005 at 10:23 AM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by resevil83
isn't sennhesier or whatever senns??

Yep, and Ety is short for Etymotic, and Beyer is short for Beyerdynamic. I don't know what other brands get nicknames...
\
etysmile.gif
Abe

Apr 25, 2005 at 6:40 AM Post #26 of 31
ok... before I hit up guitar center... based on what I've said... I don't want to hear much noise, something that has a bit of power that doesn't necc. need to be amped or cabled... CANS - I should look through what models? AKG 271... etc?

Apr 25, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #27 of 31
If you're going to check out Guitar Center you may also want to give the Beyer DT 770/80ohm a look. They don't require an amp, doesn't have much sound leakage, and if you love bass in your rock and punk the DT 770 has tons of it.

Apr 25, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
If you're going to check out Guitar Center you may also want to give the Beyer DT 770/80ohm a look. They don't require an amp, doesn't have much sound leakage, and if you love bass in your rock and punk the DT 770 has tons of it.

and be sure to tryout the Beyer 250-80 if avail at your GC shop. They're pretty low profile like Sony V6/7506's. And they carry the Sonys too. Cheaper alternative, but no harm in trying.

Apr 25, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #29 of 31
no one's mentioned the sennheiser hd25-1 yet... these seem like they'd be the perfect choice.

they don't need an amp, they're tank tough and portable, they're forward (good for rock)... they're generally about $150... perfect!

Apr 25, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #30 of 31
So, it seems to me you need cans that are

1. Closed with decent isolation
2. Somewhat portable and durable
3. You want "the best"

Given these considerations, there are many to choose from. BUT, you will be using these for monitoring?

Two choices- Sony V6 or Senn HD280's. You will be unbearably frustrated if you try to monitor with anything else that meets the above criteria.

Very few of the folks on this forum are familiar with pro audio applications. If you want the best performance you can possibly get out of cans for your audio class, you can't beat the HD280's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back