Headphones in the 200.00 price range
Apr 15, 2005 at 6:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

resevil83

New Head-Fier
I need a pair of "cover your ear" headphones. I will be using the headphones for my audio class in school and I will most likely be using them to chill and listen to music. I don't know where to buy headphones. My friends tell me best buy, yet I have read to get akg's or grado's. Well heres the deal. I don't want to spend more than 250. I want to get the nicest headphones for around 200. I like to listen to rock, punk, that sorta deal. I don't listen to rap at all. I love bass but, I'm thinking I wouldn't really want that in a headphone. I was wondering what were the nicest headphones with the best midtone, range I could get. I don't want a pair of headphones that has highs that will tear my eardrums apart.

Apr 15, 2005 at 7:05 AM Post #2 of 31
Grados are open headphones, so if you're looking for over the ears for their isolation quality, you will not find grados to be suitable.

Apr 15, 2005 at 8:27 AM Post #3 of 31
HD600 or HD650. Then save up for a cable upgrade. Dont go to BestBuy. Search through the forum to find comments on cans you are interested in. then keep an eye on the "for sale" part of this site, and wait for the one you want. That way you'll get more bang for your buck...

Apr 15, 2005 at 8:55 AM Post #4 of 31
Welcome to HeadFi, sorry about your wallet... (don't blame us if it doesn't want to talk to you after coming to this forum
tongue.gif
)

Used HD600's or HD650's(maybe?) would be in the ~$200 range, and the SR225's are a great suggestion as well. Or you could save up a total of $270 or so and get the TTVJ Etymotic ER4P with the S adaptor package, it's a great deal if you can get into the idea of canalphones. These are among the best, IMHO.

Hmmm... can't really think of much else to consider within that budget, except maybe HD595's used or HD580's. You've got alot of good options in this range. I'll continue looking.
Happy listening
etysmile.gif
Abe

Apr 15, 2005 at 9:34 AM Post #5 of 31
There are also the Beyerdynamic DT 880.

Apr 15, 2005 at 9:58 AM Post #6 of 31
Oh yeah, I should've mentioned them. The AKG K271 Studio is also a nice choice from what I hear, and you can get that recabled too.

Apr 15, 2005 at 10:15 AM Post #7 of 31
HD595: very very comfy, and feels 'fresh'; 'full open'; and sounds great.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2005 at 10:23 AM Post #8 of 31
I should say that some of the 'phones we've suggested require a headphone amp to drive them, so that might be a problem for you if you get certain Sennheisers. Ohm ratings in this case might be important to take note of.

etysmile.gif
Abe

Apr 15, 2005 at 12:50 PM Post #10 of 31
If you consider used, I'd check for the AKG 501s, Alessandro MS-2s, and Sennheiser HD600.

The Alessandros are very foward but maintain a good amount of detail. Very good rock, hip hop, etc. The AKGs are best for acoustic, jazz, etc. They are very articulate and fast paced. Detail is amazing considering the price and soundstage is accurate. They do lack bass impact. The Senns are very balanced phones but its signature is not for everyone. Pretty good with a lot of different genre.

Quick little summary with no overbearing words,lol.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2005 at 1:19 PM Post #11 of 31
AKG K271 Studio and Beyerdynamic DT770-80, if you're looking to not to share your music with the rest of the class. Sennheiser HD595 or Grado SR-225 if that's not much of a concern.

Never buy headphones from a big retail outlet like best buy. You will most likely get ripped off (and this is assuming they carry what you're looking for, which is somewhat unlikely). Shop around online. Amazon frequently has some good deals.

Grados are a bit different in that no matter where you buy them, they'll generally be the same price (aside from shipping costs or tax, of course).

Apr 15, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #12 of 31
As Seeberg says, many of these 'phones really need a headphone amp, including the Sennheiser HD600 and HD650, and the Beyerdynamics DT880. However, I have the Senn HD595 and it sounds great plugged into my receiver's headphone output. The mids are nice, but some people find the treble to be a bit too pronounced. I turn it down by 2db and that's all the taming of the high end I need. The mids are very good and there's good bass, but it doesn't overwhelm the rest of the range. I got them for $204 (including shipping) at http://shop.vendio.com/inetdistribut...125/index.html.

It appears they've now dropped to $200 even.

And as Helter Skelter says. Other people will hear what you're listening to with these.

Apr 15, 2005 at 3:21 PM Post #13 of 31
Audio Technica ATH-A900 from Audio Cubes for $200.

Great all-around performer. No amping necessary. Closed, so minimal sound leakage.

Of course, most people will tell you whatever they own is the best. And yes, I own the A900's.

Apr 15, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #14 of 31
I am not familiar with all of the phones mentiond so far, but all of the Senns and Grados are open back meaning sound leaks out. If others hearing your music is an issue, these will not do. If that is okay, these and I am sure the others mentioned here are very good.

Also on the Senns, 595 is good but the others need an amp which will cost more. The Grados are detailed, good bass slam but lots of treble engergy. I am not sure if that is what you want so you should try them.

If you do need to keep the sound to yourself and/or isolation is a factor, I strongly suggest eithe Etymotics or Shures. I cannot speak for Shures but the Etys are very detailed and provide excellent seperation. If you audio class is about analyzing the music, these could be very good for that application. You can get a high level of this with just the ER6is at ~100ish.

Drawback of canal phones is that they do not have a large soundstage.

Anyways, with $200, you can get some very nice phones! Good luck!

Apr 15, 2005 at 3:37 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
HD595: very very comfy, and feels 'fresh'; 'full open'; and sounds great.
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree. I like these better than the 225s. No amp/re-cabling required. I believe these are the best you can do with a $200 budget. Please audition the 595s before you make your final purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back