Headphones in physycal store in Shanghai?
Jun 9, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #16 of 22
  yeah - I think a LOT of folks in China just taobao their shizz and use the return policy if they hate it. I used the heck outta taobao when I lived there :)

how does singapore compare to japan in terms of headphone shopping? I never looked @headphone stuff there but there are so many darn good shops in Tokyo...

i've been to Japan, but not Tokyo...so i don't know how things are there..but i've been dozens of times in China and many times in Singapore..the latter is the place to be in my opinion if you want to shop for headphones..in Funan Digital mall there are lots of shops that have almost every brand and model, there's one shop called Headphone Gallery which has it all. from cheapest to most expensive ones and most are available to try. opposite that mall there's one other shopping mall which is full of shops only for hi-fi/ high-end audio. speakers, players, amps, you name it. there's also few shops with headphones and also Jaben and a couple more. even at the airport duty free there's a large selection..

last time i bought from there my E12 amp and the IM-02

next time..my wife will divorce me :p

Jun 9, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #17 of 22

i've been to Japan, but not Tokyo...so i don't know how things are there..but i've been dozens of times in China and many times in Singapore..the latter is the place to be in my opinion if you want to shop for headphones..in Funan Digital mall there are lots of shops that have almost every brand and model, there's one shop called Headphone Gallery which has it all. from cheapest to most expensive ones and most are available to try. opposite that mall there's one other shopping mall which is full of shops only for hi-fi/ high-end audio. speakers, players, amps, you name it. there's also few shops with headphones and also Jaben and a couple more. even at the airport duty free there's a large selection..

last time i bought from there my E12 amp and the IM-02

next time..my wife will divorce me :p

Ooh, good to know! Though I'll need a properly good excuse to get to Singapore.

I've found the prices in Japan to be pretty fair (especially with the weak yen vs USD) - how about prices in Singapore?

Jun 9, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #18 of 22
I leave in EU, I went to Shanghai & Beijing couple of months ago for business trip. 
In Shanghai there are 2 main shops close to people square (city center) : 1 being Jaben & the other one is close to Howard Johson hotel (with all the restaurants around the place).

But I found nothing interesting to buy since prices are quite high (same or even more expensive than online shops)

Jun 9, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #19 of 22
  Ooh, good to know! Though I'll need a properly good excuse to get to Singapore.

I've found the prices in Japan to be pretty fair (especially with the weak yen vs USD) - how about prices in Singapore?

prices are good/very good in some cases, mainly for asian brands (for example, i got my IM02 with a spare original cable gift, for SGD 279 which is abt eur185, where in amazon UK they start from gbp 197, which is abt eur 270)
EU stuff there is a bit more expensive. also the USA brands were priced reasonable (at least for me, since it's way more expensive to order from USA with all customs duties etc)

May 25, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #20 of 22
Getting ready to head over to Shanghai for a week on business and thought I might visit some shops. I've been to the Jaben store but wanted to see if there are any other places?

May 26, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #21 of 22
Are you looking for chi-fi gear? If so lots of selection and good prices. Anything in particular?

If your looking for non-China made gear, then things can get tough finding deals. VAT is 17% and China has high import duties on electronics. Hong Kong is by far the best place to buy anything (no import duties and no VAT), with exception of Chinese companies equipment (Cayin for example) made in China.

Two stores I've had success with, and they deal only with legit stuff (at least what I've seen):

圆声带门店地址:

上海市黄浦区浙江中路160号(靠近福州路口)

电话021-63224944

营业时间10:00-20:30

地铁1、2、8号线人民广场站14号出口步行10分钟可到

上海慧音数码科技有限公司(上海知音堂)

上海市徐汇区南丹东路300弄9号亚都商务楼1008

You'd probably need to be able to speak some Chinese. The first store had usually very aggressive discounts but they're not authorized seller. The second store is one of Chord's official dealer, and they are authorized seller of many other brands (so full warranty at least).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back