Headphones FS But Only If You Buy Amp
May 17, 2007 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

vcoheda

High-End Forum Volunteer
What's the deal with these combo FS listings, where the seller will only sell the headphones if you also purchase the amp or will only sell the headphones after the amp has been sold. Now I understand that some phones/amps are special combos, such as the HE60/HEV70 or some AT products, but I see people doing this for all sorts of seemingly unrelated products.

What's the deal? Are amps that bad of an investment that that is the only way to get rid of them.

May 17, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #2 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the deal with these combo FS listings, where the seller will only sell the headphones if you also purchase the amp or will only sell the headphones after the amp has been sold. Now I understand that some phones/amps are special combos, such as the HE60/HEV60 or some AT products, but I see people doing this for all sorts of seemingly unrelated products.

What's the deal? Are amps that bad of an investment that that is the only way to get rid of them.

That could be, or they may have other reasons. I often sell combo deals because I eat shipping costs on my sales, so if I could unload a combo, it saves me shipping costs on multiple items, and clears the inventory sooner.

May 17, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That could be, or they may have other reasons. I often sell combo deals because I eat shipping costs on my sales, so if I could unload a combo, it saves me shipping costs on multiple items, and clears the inventory sooner.

QFT

I won't require combo deals but I will give preference to those who go for it.

May 17, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

what inventory? these are people I am talking about, not businesses.

It's not that difficult to understand. If I'm selling a combo, and this has been said before in this very thread, it's because it's a pain to keep track of two or more transactions. For instance, let's say I sell the amp first. I pack it up, which boxes at the post office aren't free here, go to the post office, ship it out, wait on pins and needles for it to arrive safely... then someone buys the headphones - lather, rinse, repeat.

And if I sold both together, that's one transaction, one trip to the post office, one chance for things to go wrong, and those headphones sound best with that amp anyway.

Now come on, you had to know the answer already.
wink.gif

My pet peeve are buyers who don't understand this, and don't get why you wouldn't want to sell that cable seperately from those headphones.

May 17, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... those headphones sound best with that amp anyway.

Bingo. No reason to hold onto an RA-1 if I'm selling off my Grados.

Quote:

you can't track of two packages. two trips to the PO is a huge burden.

i give up. forget i asked.

When you work from 8 to 6 on weekdays and sleep in on Saturdays, yeah, two trips to the Post Office is a pain in the ass. The fact that the place is 20 minutes away and takes at least 30 minutes to get through the line doesn't make things any better.

May 17, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #9 of 28
then why are they always willing to break up the combo if it is to sell the amp. that pretty rules out the convenience argument.

May 17, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #10 of 28
Headphones sell more readily than amps and the seller doesnt want to be left sitting with an amp thats going nowhere.

May 17, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphones sell more readily than amps and the seller doesnt want to be left sitting with an amp thats going nowhere.

Sellers may have a myriad of reasons why they want to sell bundles, but I feel the most compelling or most common reason is what Duggeh said.

May 17, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #13 of 28
That's an easy one. My VTGs are a way bigger draw than my toaster. They go well together, but I don't have a need for it if I don't have the vtgs. The toaster is a great, versatile amp, but people like the shiny black ones. So I won't sell the vtgs unless the toaster sells first.

May 18, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sellers may have a myriad of reasons why they want to sell bundles, but I feel the most compelling or most common reason is what Duggeh said.

That and you can still use the headphones with or without the amp while offloading this stuff, so if the headphone goes (and it's your only headphone) and you still have the amp, it'll again be sitting around solo.

May 18, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

you can't keep track of two packages. two trips to the PO is a huge burden.

i give up. forget i asked.

Its called excuses.. I find that sellers sell combo's to get rid of a hard to sell item..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back