headphones freq response question
Jul 25, 2011 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

cccc

New Head-Fier
Hello , i have used small in ear headphones for about year and listened trough them at night , i also had stereo system with big old 60-70s 90w high quality speakers and modern 150w din amp speakers had freq response from 25hz to 25khz and that was almost true , it was possible to hear from 15 to about 27khz at higher volumes when i tested with frequency generator, now i have shure srh 840 headphones and they were very big improvment from small sennheiser headphones in bass and clearity. 840 had written 5hz-25khz but i cannot feel no loudness in sound at about 16khz area , 8-10khz response is much better but it seems to have hole at 16khz how can it go up to 25khz at same loudness?
How is freq response written on headphone specs different from floor speakers? Because on floor speakers loundess seems to be almost same trough all spectrum,at least on 40+years old 3-way floor speakers that were rated 90w 40+years ago played trough 90s stereo amp with 150w din per channel without problems when watching movies and sound on explosions was very loud thanks to 97db/w/m sensitivity.
I dont have amp for my headphones but they are powered by laptop integrated sound card what has 60mw output at 40 ohms.
If someone is using headphone amp or better sound card with shr 840 phones please confirm if you also get lower loudness at 16khz area , it can be tested with winamp eq.
Listening trough laptop and mobilephone i personaly like 840s midbass and vocal very much and i think they are good for listening audio books and radio ,music what includes strong drum beats comes much sharper trough stereo system.

Jul 26, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #5 of 15
Wait, you heard sounds at 27KHz? I call ********. And as for 15Hz, you might feel it if you have good speakers, but I don't think it's audible.
As for the 840, of course there is a trade-off with headphones compared to speakers: you get privacy and portability at the expense of frequency extension and neutrality. Just enjoy your headphones if you like them with your music, otherwise sell them and get other ones. It's just no use comparing headphones with speakers.. I know I do and it can distract from an otherwise fine listening experience. (I prefer speakers but can still enjoy headphones and even IEMs)

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #6 of 15
yes i was able to hear up to 27 khz at high output level using sound generator and 2x150w amp connected to 3way stereo speakers, it was possible to hear , it may have been sound reflection but still 27khz.
i sold my speakers becuase those headphones were nicer for radio listening and vocals.

Jul 26, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #8 of 15
Hmm, then you could look into other headphones or decide that headphones are just not for you. And normal hearing range is generally considered 20Hz to 20KHz: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_range with the range at the high end dropping after adolescence. Hell, I can't hear above 18KHz at normal listening levels and I'm under 20 years old.. What you could have been hearing is a slight hissing from your speakers, which may be the sound card or the amplifier's floor noise and has nothing to do with the actual frequency showing.
If you want the real answer on whether your headphones are capable of producing sounds over 16KHz, then get an SPL metre (I think it's called that). Otherwise just enjoy the headphones.

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #9 of 15
problably just sond card noise , i am 17 years old , tested few years ago and with headphones on normal levels i hear also about 18khz i think.
i like those headphones , best i have listened and i tested many sennhesiers also in store before deciding.
i chose those because of very nice midbass.

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
i listen to flac and songs are from 80s-2000 , mostly music where peoples punch drums not techno.

Yes, but again.  What exactly from them are you missing when you say you want more sound from 16khz and up?  Unless it's a digitally synthesized super high frequency tone, there's hardly any case of natural sound going that high, unless it's harmonics or air in a recording.

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
http://www.bestfreewaredownload.com/download/t-free-two-channels-frequency-generator-freeware-pssmbugu.html
used this soft.

Huh, this software only let me choose up to 20kHz (using the slider/buttons, yes you can manually specify a figure but that wouldn't change the fact the limit probably goes at 20kHz if the slider don't allow going higher) and sounded VERY distorted for me. I should hear up to around 17.5kHz or so but this software produced noise that was much lower pitched at 20kHz even.

Try this software, it produces clean as can be signals http://www.esseraudio.com/test-tone-generator-windows-software-generate-test-signal-sine-pink-noise-crest-factor.html

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #12 of 15
i rember testing headphones vs stereo system when listening to dire straits - so far away , dire straits - money for nothing also has high quality i think.
tweeters on stereo gave bit better result for drums but midbass and vocals on headphone is much better than 40+ years old speakers.
drums seem to be high quality when listening dire straits  , havent found better music with drums.

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
yes i was able to hear up to 27 khz at high output level using sound generator and 2x150w amp connected to 3way stereo speakers, it was possible to hear , it may have been sound reflection but still 27khz.
i sold my speakers becuase those headphones were nicer for radio listening and vocals.

I doubt you were hearing 27kHz.  What you were hearing, in all likelihood, was aliasing distortion from the DAC.  For lack of a simpler explanation, sort of like a beat frequency oscillation or difference tone.  A digitally generated tone above 22kHz is physically impossible to reproduce through a standard 44.1kHz sample rate DAC.  If the tone was from an analog tone generator, you were still probably hearing harmonic distortion products rather than the fundamental.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back