Headphones for under $100 for gaming/music
Jul 25, 2010 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

mralexosborn

Headphoneus Supremus
Well an evil dachshund gnawed away at my Shure SE110s so it seems I am buying a pair of UE SuperFi 5. But that is not the issue. Now I need something on my wishlist...
atsmile.gif

Needs: Full size, comfortable, a little bass (not bass heavy), sound quality, and soundstage.

I hear the AD700 is good but is (from what I hear) bass light. And also (not to sound like an idiot but...) the color is not to my taste. I want(ed) the Shure SRH440, how are they as far as comfort goes? Also how does the HD555 weigh into this?

I don't mind if they are open although it would be nice if they were closed. I don't mind about the size either. I would be listening to music more but also gaming (because I would hate to spend money on speakers with sub-par SQ).

Thank you!

Jul 25, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #2 of 31
I would go with either the SRH440 or the ATH-M50's or Denon D1001's

IDK how good they are for gaming..
Are you looking for headphones that sound good during games or will be a benefit during sessions? Cause I am sure they'd sound nice.

M50's are supposedly on the heavy side bass wise though, keep in mind.

Jul 25, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #3 of 31
I'd recommend the Sony XB700(very good quality bass/impact and make fps extremely fun), but since you said not bass heavy, i guess Shure440 or a used 840.

Jul 25, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #4 of 31
Well, the reason I was doubting the SRH440s was comfort in long gaming sessions. Maybe 6+ hours (just in case). I would like to benefit from the headphones in gaming session (AD700) but it is not really necessary if the price is right. As far as music goes though, I listen to everything from NWA to Jimi Hendrix to Mozart to Miles Davis to Metallica. So I need comfortable headphones that are good all around.

Jul 25, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #9 of 31

Quote:
Aren't the Denon 1001 and the Creative Aurvana Live the same thing? How comfortable is the Shure SRH440 and Senn HD555?

The Shure SRH440 may or may not be comfortable for you, but if decide to get them you can put the SRH840 earpads and modify the headband with the Sennheiser HD600 headband cushion (see: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/458545/shure-srh440-impression/180) and you'll find them to be very comfortable (I wear mine 8 hours a day for movies, music, and light gaming).  In addition, I have tried the Sennheiser HD555 for gaming and I find them to be very comfortable, but most people here will agree at the price of the HD555, you can get something better.

Jul 25, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #10 of 31
Grah! This is frustrating! I want to spend about $80 (don't mind if it would be open box). What appears to be in this price range is the AD700, SRH440, SR60i, and then the suspiciously cheap Aurvana Live! I just want something comfortable with better bass than the SE110s I have, and better SQ then my future UE SuperFi 5vi. Is this so much to ask for? 
basshead.gif

Jul 25, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #12 of 31
If you want something that you can wear comfortably, the Sennheiser 555's are the way to go (For an extra 20 dollars. It's worth it!). I can wear it for hours on end without adjusting it. With the foam mod, you can make it sound like a 595 (subjective, but I think so). 

Do not go for Grado's if you want comfort. You have been warned. 

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #13 of 31
I would suggest the AD700, I have used them my self . They have a huge sound stage, also there padding is velvour and is like some ear muffs on your head. Tho they can fall off you if you bob your head too much. They have little bass. I have used them for gaming when I had them. They did a very good job for gaming.  amazon has them for 70-90ish dollars new. They fit what your looking for.

I have seen some Ultrasone HFI450s for under 100 on amazon but I dont know how that model sounds.

Jul 26, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #15 of 31
Modded RX900s FTW. I have a pair of modded AD700s and they are amazing but Ive been recently using my new RX900s and they are starting to take over. I havent modded them yet and they sound just as good and I anticipate them being a lot better when Im done. You can get them for under 60 and the materials needed combined should put you at your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back