Headphones for TV set
Nov 29, 2009 at 6:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

RickEC

100+ Head-Fier
Head-fi'ers,

Can someone pls point out a good closed headphones set for TV, so that baby sleeping beside won't be disturb?

What can I get for a budget of $100?

Porta Koss would be great, but unfortunately they are opened. How are Senn PX100?

Thanks in advanced!

Nov 29, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 13
Thanks for the offer, but I'm thinking of buying local.

Advice anyone?

Nov 29, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 13
The PX100's are even more open.

The SRH240, V6, SRH440, and the HD280 first comes to mind.

Is the cord length an issue?

Nov 29, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #5 of 13
Low-impedence headphones are a good idea. These run easily off of all kinds of devices and don't need any additional amp to sound right. I'm a big fan of Grados, which are open-air. The sound is crystal clear and the openness gives me the benefit of feeling connected with my environment. There are times when you want isolation (such as while riding in cars or on buses). Other times, it's good to feel connected. When I have my Grados on, I can get great sound while being responsive to a variety of other issues. I prefer them when keeping one ear out for my youngest.

The top Grados are atrociously expensive ($1,700) but the SR-60 is $79 and it has much of the same sound as the most expensive models. With Grados you pay a lot for incremental improvements, so a $79 SR-60 is a great deal.

Nov 29, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #8 of 13
Someone posted a "heads-up" on Senn wireless phones/transmitter sale within the past few days. Price was reasonable and deeply discounted. Search for it...

Nov 30, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take a look at the Sennhieser wireless, I have the RS-140s for TV listening.

Amazon.com: sennhieser wireless Headphones

The RS120's @ <$60 are the ones I was referring to. For TV, worth taking a shot IMO.

Dec 1, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by iHelp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PX100's are even more open.

The SRH240, V6, SRH440, and the HD280 first comes to mind.

Is the cord length an issue?

Cord length should be at least 3 m or so, without which, I shall use extension (since audiophile quality is not as important as the rest of my headphones).

Thanks for the list (SRH240, V6, SRH440, and the HD280)! I shall do some studies on them. Any more suggestions pls keep coming.
k701smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Low-impedence headphones are a good idea. These run easily off of all kinds of devices and don't need any additional amp to sound right. I'm a big fan of Grados, which are open-air. The sound is crystal clear and the openness gives me the benefit of feeling connected with my environment. There are times when you want isolation (such as while riding in cars or on buses). Other times, it's good to feel connected. When I have my Grados on, I can get great sound while being responsive to a variety of other issues. I prefer them when keeping one ear out for my youngest.

The top Grados are atrociously expensive ($1,700) but the SR-60 is $79 and it has much of the same sound as the most expensive models. With Grados you pay a lot for incremental improvements, so a $79 SR-60 is a great deal.

Hey, really appreciate your advices! I do agree with your take on Grado, and on the cost-effectiveness of the SR60. I am still enjoying my Grado everyday. But I really need something closed for the particular reason of not waking the baby (light sleeper).

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take a look at the Sennhieser wireless, I have the RS-140s for TV listening.

Amazon.com: sennhieser wireless Headphones

Quote:

Originally Posted by Il Mostro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RS120's @ <$60 are the ones I was referring to. For TV, worth taking a shot IMO.

I am hungry for wireless in this case. Are those reliable in terms of transmission (any intermittent break?) and for some years for usage? Are the batteries worn out fast?

Dec 1, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #12 of 13
I'm using my JVC RX-900 for laptop movie watching and they do a great job. They are very efficient, comfortable and best of all, cheap.

They are a semi-open design, but many closed designs leak out some. Unless you are listening at very high volumes I wouldn't worry about leakage much. A tired baby is going to sleep regardless.

Dec 9, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #13 of 13
Thanks guys... will be going shopping soon.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back