Headphones for the office
Jan 27, 2011 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Builder

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm sorry to start a new thread on this topic, but I tried some of the advice in the other threads and it didn't work out for me.

I'm looking for a decent set of headphones for the office that don't leak sound (my boss doesn't like that :)) and are comfortable for long periods. I currently use a set of apple in-ear buds (the ones with the rubber tips, not the ones that ship with their players) with an iPhone.

I tried a set of Sennheiser HD 228s based on some research. These did not sound at all good on the iPhone. I'm not sure how to describe it, but they sounded quite muffled and low. On a hi-fi amp they were much better, but I can't bring my hi-fi to work :D

Ideally I don't want to spend more than about GBP100 but I can go to GBP140 if I have to for something that is going to work long-term.

I don't know of anywhere to try a decent range of headphones out other than the Currys megastore at Lakeside (east of London) and they won't allow you to test with your own player.

Any advice would really be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Wayne

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #2 of 9
In case you haven't yet, you should really take a look at this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-65-portable-headphones-reviewed-tdk-wr700-akg-k430-added-01-08

If you have just ignore.

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #3 of 9
For office use, I would personally choose IEMs over headphones.

They have nice isolation

Their light and portable enough to keep in your pocket, bag/briefcase, or work drawers

You can also easily put them on/remove them in case the boss or some coworker walks by your spot

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #4 of 9
Do you need/want total isolation?  Then I'd suggest an IEM/canalphone like the Sennheiser MM50 IP -- you could investigate on Amazon.co.uk in your price range.

Do you need to hear your surroundings some?  Then I would suggest earbuds like the Sennheiser MX-880 -- great sound, plenty of power in your iPhone to drive them.  The HD228 needs a bit more power than your iPhone has -- canalphones and earbuds do not.  You might have to buy an iPhone adaptor for "normal" earbuds that has a mic, etc., like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Griffin-Smarttalk-Headphone-Adapter-Control/dp/B0014AVAPO/ref=sr_1_33?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1296146871&sr=1-33

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #5 of 9
I prefer IEMs for music listening in office - a good pair will block a lot of external noise and leak nothing. The problem with them at my current job is that I frequently have to answer phones and talk with coworkers, and popping the IEMs in and out a couple times an hour becomes literally painful. Full-size headphones don't block external noise as well, but they don't leak and more importantly they're very easy to put on and take off.

Jan 27, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 9
I currently use apple in ear buds, but I can't really use them for long periods of time - they become uncomfortable to the point of causing pain.

Unfortunately, headphones are becoming a requirement for the job. I spend 6 - 8 hours a day in an open plan office (desk farm, not even cube farm) with around 50 other people and I need to focus. Beyond this, the headphones act as the modern equivalent of an office door. If people see them on, they leave me alone. With earbuds, I find that people miss them until they've already disturbed me and I've switched contexts.

Jan 27, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Do you need/want total isolation?  Then I'd suggest an IEM/canalphone like the Sennheiser MM50 IP -- you could investigate on Amazon.co.uk in your price range.

Do you need to hear your surroundings some?  Then I would suggest earbuds like the Sennheiser MX-880 -- great sound, plenty of power in your iPhone to drive them.  The HD228 needs a bit more power than your iPhone has -- canalphones and earbuds do not.  You might have to buy an iPhone adaptor for "normal" earbuds that has a mic, etc., like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Griffin-Smarttalk-Headphone-Adapter-Control/dp/B0014AVAPO/ref=sr_1_33?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1296146871&sr=1-33

I don't really need or want total isolation - it's more important that other people _can't_ hear what I'm listening to than whether or not I can hear them.

I don't really care about the mic / remote control functions on the iPhone when using it at work. I run the phone in airplane mode a lot of time time to reduce unwanted calls anyway, so that's less of an issue.

The issue I have with earbuds and canalphones is long-term comfort. I can't use the apple ones or the Sony's I have for more than about 2 hours at a time without getting discomfort in my ears. That then leaves me with up to a 6 hour stretch of trying to write code and do concentration-heavy work in an environment where sales people are chatting to potential clients and support staff are trying to deal with customers :)

Jan 27, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #8 of 9
An inexpensive choice may be the JVC HA-S700. It is very comfortable and looks quite nice if that is a factor. It drives the iPhone quite easily and has decent sound for the price.

Jan 27, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #9 of 9
Klipsch image one, Pioneer MJ51, Monster HD Solo, JVC M750, S650 and NC120.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back