Headphones for Studio Production/Mixing and Engineering
Nov 10, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People need to STOP shilling for Beyer DT48's.

For your vocalists, during tracking: Sony MDR-7506 Professional
For the engineer (mixing, editing): AKG K-701, Beyer DT-880
For tracking drummers: Sennheiser HD-280

Thats three different sets and loads of money! Just go for the DT48 E 25ohms and be very happy
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #32 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gladstone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Peter,

Please keep in mind I do not currently own a PRO 750 (but have had quite a while with them). Ofcourse the 3D surround marketing of Ultrasone is bullcrap, like I said in another topic, it's just more "stereo like". I have never ever had the idea music was played behind (at-the-back-of) my head with an Ultrasone headphone so I lost you right there. I do not perceive Ultrasones as producing 3-dimensional sound (why would you want to have stereo projected as surround in the first place?) at all. I'm not saying they very accurately present the stereo image either just much more accurate than any other headphone simply because of how the drivers are placed. Again, I advice a good pair of monitors or speakers in an acoustically treated room for this. I track, mix and master bands daily (I am a mastering engineer btw).

The 3D surround effect is not "marketing bullcrap" because I do hear it but I know that it is what might be called a "sound illusion". With the Pro 750's I hear various points of sound (such as instruments in an Orchestra), in front, in back, to the sides in various positions, above and below my head. However, I am aware that, in actuality, it is not true surround sound but only, once again, a "sound illusion". And, how people perceive this "illusion" varies with the individual.
In the past, I have been criticized for writing I am able to hear the surround effect by those who, for whatever reason, are unable to hear it. But, I most definitely am able to hear it.
Take a look at "The Sound of the Ultrasone Pro (Proline) 750 Headphones" via the link in my signature area.
I agree with you that studio monitors are generally better for mixing than headphones.

Nov 11, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #33 of 47
For Mixing,

M-Audio Studiophile Q-40

Nov 11, 2008 at 12:09 PM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

the 50mW is what matters

alright!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

SPL Phonitor

Sure i can get that, but the frequencies will still be cutoff because of the soundcard out.

Thank you everyone for the information and tips.
Im gonna get me the k702 and try them on the EMU-1616m headphone amp and see how that works out.

By all means, lets keep the discussion going about studio cans.
I see alot of usefull tips and challenging opinions in this thread for anybody looking for studio/mixing headphones.

Nov 12, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #36 of 47
for those who think HD600 aint for Studios..see this:

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Nov 12, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #37 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by nakata /img/forum/go_quote.gif
alright!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sure i can get that, but the frequencies will still be cutoff because of the soundcard out.

Thank you everyone for the information and tips.
Im gonna get me the k702 and try them on the EMU-1616m headphone amp and see how that works out.

By all means, lets keep the discussion going about studio cans.
I see alot of usefull tips and challenging opinions in this thread for anybody looking for studio/mixing headphones.

Yep, the EMU and the Kontrol 1, look like they have the same converters.
The Kontrol is for DJ's. and have a stronger headphones amp.

About the K702, they need burn in time, check the forum...
beerchug.gif

Nov 12, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #40 of 47
I think you're best off with some good monitors, not headphones. You can measure the FR of a good pair of speakers to the letter and know that it's neutral, but you can't do that nearly as well with a pair of headphones. If you want imaging, then your choices are few and far between since not that many headphones actually combine neutrality and accurate tone (like the HD600) with good detail and imaging (like the bass-light K340) in the price range. If you're going to be doing any mixing, you will always want to mix on speakers rather than headphones anyway.

Nov 12, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #41 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you're best off with some good monitors, not headphones. You can measure the FR of a good pair of speakers to the letter and know that it's neutral, but you can't do that nearly as well with a pair of headphones. If you want imaging, then your choices are few and far between since not that many headphones actually combine neutrality and accurate tone (like the HD600) with good detail and imaging (like the bass-light K340) in the price range. If you're going to be doing any mixing, you will always want to mix on speakers rather than headphones anyway.

you're absolutely right.

im aware of that you should do the trick with some proper monitors but 'cause i have genelec 6010s(which wont go low enough to monitor bass) and im still little short on money to get bigger ones i have read i should do this low-monitoring with some good studio headphones.

sorry, my repeat but i need your professional approval - so are k701/k702 and duet any reasonable option.

Nov 12, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #42 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for those who think HD600 aint for Studios..see this:

B9Pefg0XDO8

Nocturnal,
I believe I wouldn't show this video as a promotion for the HD 600 because the singer is singing somewhat flat while wearing the headphones and, in, in the control room, it appears as though one guy is trying to have sex with another guy.
confused_face(1).gif

Nov 12, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nocturnal,
I believe I wouldn't show this video as a promotion for the HD 600 because the singer is singing somewhat flat while wearing the headphones and, in, in the control room, it appears as though one guy is trying to have sex with another guy.
confused_face(1).gif

i have to agree - a singer using headphones to hear the music he has to sing to is very different from critical listening when mastering/mixing - the application is a lot more crude...i would've just hander him a pair of hd202's or sth...

Nov 12, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #44 of 47
Definitely the 701 or 702. They are very neutral, but a little lacking in bass. Super clear. I would say that for sound mixing and the such, a solid state amp is the way to go. There are a lot of decent ones under $300. Just make sure that it delivers A LOT of current for the 701/2 to shine.

Nov 12, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you're best off with some good monitors, not headphones.

You need good monitors and a good headphones for the best performances in the studio. You need a lot experience too... But good equipment definitely help.

About the Genelec 6010A, they are 3" (78mm) Cone.
With Frequency Range 74-18,000Hz. the bass sub 32-80, 80-120 start the mid bass. The Genelec 8040A are 48 Hz.... So your Genelec are cool. Maybe you can put them more like eye level. I love the Genelec they are my 3D Monitors...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back