Headphones for overtones
Dec 22, 2010 at 8:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

edvardd

100+ Head-Fier
Which headphones are best at reproducing overtones in your experience?

I new to the world of head-fi but I read in the forum that for example Audeze LCD 2 could produce rich overtones. I would like to hear it to judge myself, whenever my wallet allows...

Read more about overtones here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtone

here is a copypaste from a website about overtone singing

"The human voice is the musical instrument richest in overtones, due to our ability to make the tiniest of adjustments at will, thus fine-tuning the voice beyond the capacity of most musical instruments.

Most music students and musicians learn about the theory of overtones, and some are even able to produce overtones with their instruments. The guitar will produce overtones when the strings are strummed while the finger of the other hand dampens the strings along one of the frets. A flute, saxophone or other wind instrument will often produce an overtone when over-blown, that is, when too much air pressure is applied, the sound will jump a whole octave higher. The bass guitar is perhaps the best-known producer of overtones in modern music. Jaco Pastorius, who played bass for avant-garde jazz group Weather Report, played whole melodies using just the high-pitched harmonics of his bass, as in the song “Portrait of Tracy”.

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 6
I devote almost all my energies to overtones, as the guitar is all about overtones. First, is the source, where I prefer (to the extreme) a tubed output.

Then, you need speed to get all the overtones, where nothing but an electrostat will produce the waves IN SEQUENCE. Some dynamics  (hd800) and orthodynamics (lcd-2 and he-6) will, but just a tad lagged, albeint in sequence where everyting lags behind - I think it like one missfired synapse. Still spectacular, just an eye twitch lagging. And, that is sweet in it's own way, just not to my liking.

So, I am back to either Sennheiser he-60 or Stax OII. I have my preference (or distinct dislike), but this is absolutely subjective.

Oh, and a hybrid amp, with more tubes - which oddly in our topology, is faster than the SS variant.

Now, we await the Schiit-storm.

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #4 of 6
overtones are continually interacting with you all the time how one balances the sound in turn effects those overtones. there are many things one can do just as there are many things (headphones) do.  some important aspects  are; open, semi open,  closed as this aspect of the headphones design is fundamental regarding the said overtones.  

Jan 8, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #5 of 6
So in sum, you are saying that speed is a factor that determines the richness of overtones. I havn't tried any, but my guess is that HE-6 would be more richer in overtones than LCD2?

Quote:
I devote almost all my energies to overtones, as the guitar is all about overtones. First, is the source, where I prefer (to the extreme) a tubed output.

Then, you need speed to get all the overtones, where nothing but an electrostat will produce the waves IN SEQUENCE. Some dynamics  (hd800) and orthodynamics (lcd-2 and he-6) will, but just a tad lagged, albeint in sequence where everyting lags behind - I think it like one missfired synapse. Still spectacular, just an eye twitch lagging. And, that is sweet in it's own way, just not to my liking.

So, I am back to either Sennheiser he-60 or Stax OII. I have my preference (or distinct dislike), but this is absolutely subjective.

Oh, and a hybrid amp, with more tubes - which oddly in our topology, is faster than the SS variant.

Now, we await the Schiit-storm.

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #6 of 6
bump for interesting thread, and awesome song recommendation(portrait of tracy).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back