Headphones for my guitar - help me
Nov 23, 2012 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Foggy

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Looking for some advice as am looking for a decent pair of headphones for guitar practice. When I have asked online retailers am getting different brands and models. Akg seem to be mentioned a lot but I haven't got a clue and looking for guidance.

Nov 23, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 19
Quote:
Hi,
Looking for some advice as am looking for a decent pair of headphones for guitar practice. When I have asked online retailers am getting different brands and models. Akg seem to be mentioned a lot but I haven't got a clue and looking for guidance.

Heya,

AKG K271 MKII
KRK KNS 8400
AudioTechnica A700X

Very best,

Nov 24, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #4 of 19
A good pair of cans for guitar practice is one with rolled off highs and lots of midbass. The reason is that when you play through your amplifier, it's through a guitar cab which are terrible speakers from a hi-fi perspective - lots of harmonic distortion and are not full-range.

IMO/E, what works best is a pair of cans that kind of follow that response. I got a pair of AKG K28 noise-cancelling on clearance a while back that just happened to be perfect (as possible) for this purpose. However, they're discontinued.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #7 of 19
Shure SRH440's 
Sony MDR-V6
Sennheiser HD280

have brutalised my guitar with all of these at ridiculous volumes, none of them have any unwanted distortion and are cheap enough to replace (kinda) if you burn them out. 

all are fairly comfy although the cords might get in the way if you're not careful. 
I know I suggest these a lot, not only because they're great value workhorses but because I love the individual tones each one produces. 

good luck! 

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #9 of 19
I have a line 6 pod hd 500 which requires cans of 100 ohm impedance or higher .
I bought the beyerdynamic Dt 770 pro 250 ohm version .
It sounds brilliant .
Using an Ibanez Rg guitar > pod hd 500 > Dt 770 = good sound.
I then added a headphone amp/dac into the mix which brought out more depth and detail to the sound , especially with effects like delays and pitch shifters , but didn't make the overall distortion sound that much better it just coloured it in my opinion.

So foggy what type of setup are you using ?

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #10 of 19
Hi,

This is all new to me am a beginner. At the moment I have a kustom 16w amp which I have sennheiser hd202 plug in my getting terrible buzzing. I use a vintage paradise guitar.

Thinking of a new amp but that's another story.

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #11 of 19
no, it's all personal preference, you need to try some out before you commit really! 

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #12 of 19
Not sure where you're located, but if you have something like a "Guitar Center" shop, then give them a ring 
give them your price range and ask they'll let you come in for a test listen.

I did this (at Guitar Center) when I was looking for a closed headphone and they let me try out the 
Sennheisers, Ultrasone, and Audio Technical.  To my taste, I loved how guitar sounds on the ATH M50.

They won't, probably, have the cheapest price but way better to walk out of the shop with something
that feels comfortable and sounds good to you.

Sound isolation was key for me... which is why I went with closed back 'phones.

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #14 of 19
Hi,

Very confused I was thinking about AKG K271 MKii but am being advised that they not very comfortable and not bulit as wekk at the Audio Technica M50 series.

Any should I do?

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #15 of 19
Guitar amp's headphone output sucks (at least from all the solid state amps I tried). You should buy a modeller (Line 6 HD300 for example) for silent practice or get a low watt amp (but it's another story)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back