Headphones for mp3 players (what's the upper limit)
Dec 14, 2006 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Poetic dreamer

New Head-Fier
I've tried searching, but threads on this issue have been sadly inadequate.

However, I have a Creative Zen mp3 player, and have been trying to find a pair of headphones that would give me optimum sound quality.

After doing a lot of research, I've gotten the Sennheiser PX100's. Which I do enjoy and are excellent for mp3 players.

But being human, I keep wondering if there is a better one out there (for mp3 players). I've been doing research, and the GRADO's have caught my attention.

However, many people say that high-quality headphones like GRADO's are best when used with high quality equipment, so I would be wasting my money if I get one and only use it with an mp3 player.

This suggests some kind of upper limit to the quality of sound that you can get from mp3 players.

Well, my question is:

What headphone(s) would give *SIGNIFICANTLY* better quality sound than the PX100's if you use it only with MP3 PLAYERS. Considering that there is (apparently) some upper limit to the sound quality that mp3 players can produce.

Dec 14, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 25
go for low end of good grados, like i have. I use grado sr60 with my mp3 player and it's perfect. If i was using a massively more expensive headphones with my mp3 player, i'd think it was perhaps not being used to maximum potential,a nd also i wouldn't use expensive headphones outdoors myself. Sr60 is an excellent headphone for the price, many would say there isn;t a better headphone for the price, so it's a perfect compromise.

Dec 14, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 25
Which Creative Zen do you have? I have experience with a few of them, and all of them sounded fairly different, imo.

Anyway, there's no real "roof" on how much you can spend on a portable audio rig. I'm not sure how much you're looking to spend, but I'd say going with a pair of custom fitted IEM's would do the trick. Westone has the ES2 which is said to be pretty good, and Ultimate Ears has a slew of models that you could use with portables.

That said, Grado's definitely have the ability to be driven by mp3 players. I wouldn't recommend going too far up the food chain in the Grado/Allesandro line up simply because unamped, you won't be feeding them exactly what they crave (lots of current), and they start getting into bulkier wood driver housings which arent exactly portable. I think if you wanted to try a more "fun" sounding can, the SR60 or SR80 would be a great place to start.

Good luck.

Dec 14, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure how much you're looking to spend.

Good luck.

Thanks for your responses. I have a Creative Zen touch. My budget is $100. I might go up a tiny bit more if necessary.

I was considering the Grado Sr-60 but in my research, I read that you have to bore a hole in the earpads or something. I'm afraid of doing this and damaging them.

Dec 14, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 25
What are your music preferences? I'd suggest the MS-1 if you have a lot of different rock genres you like (it's exactly $100 and is a balanced SR60). IMHO, SR60s are only good for hard rock and heavy metal. If you like trance, they don't have enough bass.

Dec 14, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are your music preferences? I'd suggest the MS-1 if you have a lot of different rock genres you like (it's exactly $100 and is a balanced SR60). IMHO, SR60s are only good for hard rock and heavy metal. If you like trance, they don't have enough bass.

I listen mostly to jazz and classical. So, while bass is important, I don't think I need too much bass.

(BTW, I've heard about these MS-1's in my research but I couldn't find them on amazon)

Dec 14, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sadly, you're not gonna be anywhere near the upper limit with only a $100 budget.

Even though I'll only be using an mp3-player? What do you have in mind, then?

Dec 14, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #9 of 25
You can only get MS-1s directly through Alessandro's site. I definitely wouldn't recommend Grados for jazz or classical. Think Sony MDR-V6, MS-1, HD555, or HD485. You do need a headphone that's well balanced. SR60s are too tin can sounding for jazz and classical. The Ms-1s and MDR-V6s will offer the tonality that's right for classical and jazz (the Sonys are the cheapest at $64). The HD555 would be ideal (better still, if you can afford it, get a HD595 used or something).

Dec 14, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poetic dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even though I'll only be using an mp3-player? What do you have in mind, then?

Well take the Shure E500s for example which are great with portables. They cost $399. Custom IEMs like the UE10 Pro and ES2 take the price and quality even higher. Yes, a mp3 player is not an ideal source by any means but these higher end IEMs still show significant improvements with them. Usually the only thing holding you back is the build in amp but IEMs are typically much easier to drive directly out of a portable's headphone socket than full size headphones.

Dec 14, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #11 of 25
Check out the V-Moda Vibes (comfy canal phones, nice clear sound) or the UM1s (deeper bass, great comfort for IEM), which are both $100 or so. I have/had both, and both are fine headphones for DAPs. I also have the Creative Vision M, and the Zen V. I like the V-Modas for listening when I don't need isolation. Otherwise, raise you ceiling $50 and try and get a pair of Etymotic ER4Ps (Amazon recently had them for $156 shipped). I think they are amazing, and my go-to IEMs. Great sound, great isolation. I also have SR80s, and I like them (I use SR-60 pads with a hole in them, but no big deal making a quarter sized hole). Not for moving around the streets, though. Much too bulky.

Dec 14, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can only get MS-1s directly through Alessandro's site. I definitely wouldn't recommend Grados for jazz or classical. Think Sony MDR-V6, MS-1, HD555, or HD485. You do need a headphone that's well balanced. SR60s are too tin can sounding for jazz and classical. The Ms-1s and MDR-V6s will offer the tonality that's right for classical and jazz (the Sonys are the cheapest at $64). The HD555 would be ideal (better still, if you can afford it, get a HD595 used or something).

Thanks for your recommendations
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well take the Shure E500s for example which are great with portables. They cost $399. Custom IEMs like the UE10 Pro and ES2 take the price and quality even higher. Yes, a mp3 player is not an ideal source by any means but these higher end IEMs still show significant improvements with them. Usually the only thing holding you back is the build in amp but IEMs are typically much easier to drive directly out of a portable's headphone socket than full size headphones.

Hmm...interesting. Perhaps after I win the lottery
wink.gif

Dec 15, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x2

If you really wanna shoot the moon, you're gonna need $600+ to go with customs...not even counting if you want an amp, which makes a huge difference.

My portable setup is already close to $1200 and I haven't even gone custom yet.

Dec 15, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #14 of 25
i think u guys are misunderstanding him... i think hes saying - when does the performance increase level off when the source is an un (externaly) amped mp3 player.

would any of those super expensive iems be far superior to an sr125 (or such) without an amp?

Dec 15, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseD13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think u guys are misunderstanding him... i think hes saying - when does the performance increase level off when the source is an un (externaly) amped mp3 player.

would any of those super expensive iems be far superior to an sr125 (or such) without an amp?

Well I would take any IEM over the SR125 for classical music!!! Grados stink for classical music. They're great for hard rock, but not jazz or classical. The OP should look at the headphones I mentioned if they want headphones (they're all low sensitivity so they would be driven alright by an ipod). I don't know anything about IEMs, so I'll leave it to anyone else to recommend them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back