Headphones for mp3 players (what's the upper limit)
Dec 15, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseD13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think u guys are misunderstanding him... i think hes saying - when does the performance increase level off when the source is an un (externaly) amped mp3 player.

would any of those super expensive iems be far superior to an sr125 (or such) without an amp?

Point still stands. All unamped, there is a huge increase in performance level from:

Budget phones @ $100 and under (e3c, um1, er6, etc) --> ~$180 (e4c, SF5P, etc) (I'd say the most noticeable jump in performance is at this level)

then there's another big increase going to ~$300-400 level (ER4, UM2, triple.fi, E500s, etc)

then yet another huge increase in performance going to $600+ (customs).

I don't think it ever "levels off"...you can definitely tell the difference apart. Its just the whole thing with diminishing returns, but by no means is the performance jump from each level subtle (even without an amp).

Dec 15, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseD13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think u guys are misunderstanding him... i think hes saying - when does the performance increase level off when the source is an un (externaly) amped mp3 player.

would any of those super expensive iems be far superior to an sr125 (or such) without an amp?

I don't know about the SR125 but to me the Shure E500s and to a lesser extent my Shure E5Cs are far superior to my SR-80s across the board with or without an amp. In my experience IEMs scale better without an amp than most full size headphones making them ideal for use with a portable. As far as the sound quality/price radio goes though, it may be another matter, IEMs can be expensive for the sound quality you get.

Dec 15, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #19 of 25
Though the Sony MDR-V6 has a very high sensitivity (106db/mw), so they wouldn't have any problems with an ipod. Just bringing this up in case the OP doesn't want IEMs. Again, I would pick anything other then Grados for classical and jazz......Grados are not suitable for these genres!

Dec 15, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #21 of 25
For DAP with MP3s with bitrates between 128kbps to 320kbps, you could always go for Grado SR60 or Alessandro MS-1. But for MS-1 I recommend to use at least 256kbps because anything lower you will hear MP3 artefacts. MS-1 is a good headphone for details so better source will do them justice.

If you are going for earbuds, Sony MDR-E888LP would be the best choice, I called them "Mini MS-1" because they do sound like MS-1 at smaller scale and they can tolerate lower bitrate MP3s perfectly. I had no problem at all downgrading to 128kbps with E888LP.

Having owned a ZEN Neeon before (which is considered to be bright & sharp source), I knew that a "darker sounding" cans like the KOSS PortaPro will suit nicely if you love bass

Dec 15, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #22 of 25
GRADOS NOT GOOD FOR CLASSICAL OR JAZZ
eggosmile.gif
MS-1 maybe, as well as Sony MDR-V6

Dec 15, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Point still stands. All unamped, there is a huge increase in performance level from:

Budget phones @ $100 and under (e3c, um1, er6, etc) --> ~$180 (e4c, SF5P, etc) (I'd say the most noticeable jump in performance is at this level)

then there's another big increase going to ~$300-400 level (ER4, UM2, triple.fi, E500s, etc)

then yet another huge increase in performance going to $600+ (customs).

I don't think it ever "levels off"...you can definitely tell the difference apart. Its just the whole thing with diminishing returns, but by no means is the performance jump from each level subtle (even without an amp).

The ER4Ps were available for $155 on Amazon recently. Now, they are $199.

Dec 15, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ER4Ps were available for $155 on Amazon recently. Now, they are $199.

Yeah...I put them in the wrong group. I never searched for those things online cause personally I hate triflange (can't make them seal) and I don't want to keep switching out foams...so I went off of their retail price.

Plus I didn't want to start a debate as to which IEM is better with the Ety fanboys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back