headphones for LOUD listening - what if not GS1000????
Sep 6, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #31 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamgdansk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
unfortunately only isupply ;-(((.... but I do not want to go into anything more expensive from Naim as I do not think that would change sound THAT dramatically - or am I wrong?
wink.gif
)

sorry... i have a Flatcap2 and Hicap, and at one time had a NAPSC2 - each is an improvement as you scale up. i've not heard the i-supply, but i think with the $$$ you spent on your source and HPs you should flip for another $500-600 for a new NAPSC2 (can be hard to find s/h) or a used FC2 (easy to find)to ensure your getting the most out of your Headline. the Hicap ($2000) is really nice, but i only have one and prefer it on my nait5.

PACE

Sep 6, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #32 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you serious?
blink.gif

Yes, very! I do not listen to music very loud and always monitor my SPL with a meter. With speaker I only listen from 65-70 db but with headphones I find I need at least another 5 db (some times 10) to get the same enjoyment out of them.

I also find that the soft highs and tight voice coils of the 650s do not open up untill around 80db. At this sound pressure level I find them extremely enjoyable but never listen for more than 1/2 hour. At 80db (would not even dream of it with Gados) my MS2i would be very painful. I think it has a lot to do with the 4k spike in most Grados. Human ears are most sensitive at 4k.

Unfortunatly this has led me to use headphones less and less. Even at low levels for music (70db) leave my ears ringing. I have hearing test at work every 8 months or so, my test do not show any hearing damage (nor have I noticed any). I am a Process Engineer so I am in and out of the production floor through out the day (I wear ear-plugs when ever on the floor).

To each their own and be carefull with your ears......

Sep 6, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #33 of 36
Bose, so you'll hate them and stop listening to loud music, thus saving your ears.

Sep 8, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #36 of 36
I have GS1000's and I would agree that they are really designed for lower volume listening, which is great as too much volume can very easily damage your hearing.
I have found other Grados in the range more suitable to high volume listening if you want to go down this route, but you must be very careful as its so easy to get tinitus from prolonged high volumes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back