headphones for LOUD listening - what if not GS1000????
Sep 4, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #16 of 36
HD580 + M^3... a very good sounding tandem IMHO, that can rock out when cranked UP. I love listening to Yngwie and Symphony-X LOUD on my HD580

Sep 4, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #17 of 36
Grado and loud listening levels = hearing loss

Senn 650s and loud listening levels (80-90 db) =
biggrin.gif

Really though I felt like my MS2i hurt my hearing. My ears would ring when I was done. My db meter only read 70-75 db too!

Sep 4, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #18 of 36
Actually, you misinterpreted my thoughts here maybe. The fact that the Ed9 has no audible distortion at low and high volumes (which is great for rock) does not mean it does not work well for jazz or classical or is boring at low volumes!

It's now been a month I have mine and I logged enough hours on it to hear it at its best and by far this is my favorite headphones (c.f. my profile), regardless of music style.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamgdansk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well - not that I am only rock fan - Grado suit 80% of my listening choices (jazz, classic, folk) therefore spending BIG money on Ultrasone seems too far... would not even a chance to listen to them....

Sep 4, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #19 of 36
Absolutely, that's why I feel it's borderline dangerous because you get absolutely no distortion at higher volumes so don't realize you're exposing your ears to unsafe noise levels actually...

Anyhow, I have an SPL meter and have noted where on the potentiometer the 85dB lies for most CDs... I actually seldom listen over that level and I also do not get ringing after listening to the Ed9... Everybody should check this because it is indeed a bad habit to crank it up all the time...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd agree here, Edition 9 is good for going loud if you desire, but the fun part is that when I turn up other headphones to the volume I consider comfortably loud on Edition 9, I get ringing in my ears after. Not so much with Edition 9s =]

Sep 4, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #20 of 36
Interesting how no one here has made a suggestion for him to listen to his GS1000 at a louder volume for rock.

Just arguements about other headphones, away from the topic...

Sep 4, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by James63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado and loud listening levels = hearing loss

Senn 650s and loud listening levels (80-90 db) =
biggrin.gif

Really though I felt like my MS2i hurt my hearing. My ears would ring when I was done. My db meter only read 70-75 db too!

Are you serious?
blink.gif

Sep 4, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #22 of 36
Hahaha, you're funny. Please read the thread title and the very last sentence in the first post and tell me again if I am thread crapping. I don't read the same english as you do or you're in denial with your Grados?

Happy listening anyhow!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruckus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting how no one here has made a suggestion for him to listen to his GS1000 at a louder volume for rock.

Just arguements about other headphones, away from the topic...

Sep 4, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

What can give Grado's energy and quality of sound and allow me to listen also louder sometimes? What heaphones for rock music?
frown.gif

HeadRoom has a write-up and graph for GS1000 -- they say the GS1000 graph shows that they are seemingly perfectly designed for *low-level* listening.
They also say the RS1 and/or SR225's are probably the best rock cans.
So, try a set of 225's to complement the bigger cans.
Or, SR80, for lower price, but similar sound signature as SR225's.
If you compare the HeadRoom graphs for the 1000 and the 225, it appears that the 225's might be just what you are looking for. Though some people on here don't believe in these graphs, I've found them to be a good indicator of a can's sound signature.
Please don't listen too loud, for too long, though.
rs1smile.gif

Sep 4, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnaud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, you misinterpreted my thoughts here maybe. The fact that the Ed9 has no audible distortion at low and high volumes (which is great for rock) does not mean it does not work well for jazz or classical or is boring at low volumes!

It's now been a month I have mine and I logged enough hours on it to hear it at its best and by far this is my favorite headphones (c.f. my profile), regardless of music style.

I guess the real answer is that nothing will give you that sound outside of the GS-1000.
frown.gif

I wish there was a closed can with that sound. It would suit me better, but there just isn't.

Sep 5, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

I have GS1000 (over 400h burn-in). Got Meridian G08 + Naim Headline (rca). I also have AKG701. So far I found Grado much much better with quiet listening sessions. Leonar Cohen's voice sound great etc. But I also listen to rock - yesterday I put Iron Maiden, wanted to listen a bit louder (how can one listen this kind of music quiet?) and it was too much for me. Painful. Too bright. It's not music anymore - just a canonade of details & tones... Is it Grado or is it Headline? AKG (well-burnt-in, approx. 400h contiunuous burining in) is not an option to me anymore as they lack this spark that Grado provides. Lack of details.
basshead.gif

What can give Grado's energy and quality of sound and allow me to listen also louder sometimes? What heaphones for rock music?
frown.gif

what power-supply are you using for the Headline? i wouldn't recommend anything less than the PSC2. a better PS will allow your GS1000 to be driven harder with more ease.

PACE

Sep 5, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #29 of 36
Edition 9 is definitely the one you want. By far the best headphones I've owned with every type of music (and I've owned some doozies), especially for rock. You can crank it up to concert level volumes (don't do this very often, though!) and it truly sounds like you're at a concert, except with better clarity. The only thing missing is feeling the bass in your chest.

Seriously, I'd just do it. I'd say there's no chance of you not liking them.

BTW, if you're interested I might possibly consider trading mine for your GS1000 plus cash.

Sep 5, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by steaxauce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edition 9 is definitely the one you want. By far the best headphones I've owned with every type of music (and I've owned some doozies), especially for rock. You can crank it up to concert level volumes (don't do this very often, though!) and it truly sounds like you're at a concert, except with better clarity. The only thing missing is feeling the bass in your chest.

Seriously, I'd just do it. I'd say there's no chance of you not liking them.

BTW, if you're interested I might possibly consider trading mine for your GS1000 plus cash.

LOL
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back