headphones for LOUD listening - what if not GS1000????
Sep 3, 2007 at 8:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

adamgdansk

100+ Head-Fier
I have GS1000 (over 400h burn-in). Got Meridian G08 + Naim Headline (rca). I also have AKG701. So far I found Grado much much better with quiet listening sessions. Leonar Cohen's voice sound great etc. But I also listen to rock - yesterday I put Iron Maiden, wanted to listen a bit louder (how can one listen this kind of music quiet?) and it was too much for me. Painful. Too bright. It's not music anymore - just a canonade of details & tones... Is it Grado or is it Headline? AKG (well-burnt-in, approx. 400h contiunuous burining in) is not an option to me anymore as they lack this spark that Grado provides. Lack of details.
basshead.gif

What can give Grado's energy and quality of sound and allow me to listen also louder sometimes? What heaphones for rock music?
frown.gif

Sep 3, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #2 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamgdansk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have GS1000 (over 400h burn-in). Got Meridian G08 + Naim Headline (rca). I also have AKG701. So far I found Grado much much better with quiet listening sessions. Leonar Cohen's voice sound great etc. But I also listen to rock - yesterday I put Iron Maiden, wanted to listen a bit louder (how can one listen this kind of music quiet?) and it was too much for me. Painful. Too bright. It's not music anymore - just a canonade of details & tones... Is it Grado or is it Headline? AKG (well-burnt-in, approx. 400h contiunuous burining in) is not an option to me anymore as they lack this spark that Grado provides. Lack of details.
basshead.gif

What can give Grado's energy and quality of sound and allow me to listen also louder sometimes? What heaphones for rock music?
frown.gif

RS1 or SR325i?

Sep 3, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #3 of 36
It's been stated alot of times before that the Grados are more suited for low-level listening and music like classical and jazz. That being said, I think they work really well with rock. I can crank the volume quite high without experiencing any form of brightness or sibilance. However, that dosen't mean rock is their forte, it means they work well with rock on my system.

RS1 is well known as a rock can, and probably regarded as the king in that field (at least in <$1000).

It might be the amplifier too. Grados like tubes alot.

Sep 3, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's been stated alot of times before that the Grados are more suited for low-level listening and music like classical and jazz.

Where? Grados are always billed as the "rock-can".

Sep 3, 2007 at 9:05 AM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Note that I said the Grados. In other words, the headphone we were talking about, which in this case was GS1000.

GS1000 have in pretty much every discussion been deemed a jazz/classic can.

Sep 3, 2007 at 9:06 AM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think mindless meant to say the Grado GS1000 are more suited for low-level listening and music like classical and jazz, especially with his reference to the RS 1.
I also agree with him on this note:
Quote:

I can crank the volume quite high without experiencing any form of brightness or sibilance. However, that doesn't mean rock is their forte, it means they work well with rock on my system.

However, when listening to my iPod with the SR225 I definitely get more 'boogie' with the rockier tracks!

Sep 3, 2007 at 9:08 AM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's been stated alot of times before that the Grados are more suited for low-level listening and music like classical and jazz.

That is said about the GS1000 in particular, not about Grados in general.
On the contrary, Grados are rock cans. GS1000 are the exception in sound signature.

Sep 3, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #8 of 36
Again, if people would more carefully read my post...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonym /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, when listening to my iPod with the SR225 I definitely get more 'boogie' with the rockier tracks!

I don't know really. I like the sound from the SR225s too out of my brothers portable, but I can't say I prefer it to the GS1000.

Sep 3, 2007 at 12:22 PM Post #9 of 36
I have noticed I can crank up the music to dangerously high levels with my Ultrasone Edition 9 (c.f. rig in signature). It's almost irresistable for some rock music, borderline unsafe I would say! Absolutely no sign of compression, hardness , pure dynamics...

I did spend 5 minutes with the GS-1000 at the store where I purchased the Edition 9, I did not like them (too bright) out of a tomahawk / iPod nano. I wasn't too excited with the comfort so did not really give them a fair try I would say. Still, if you're after a rock headphone that's not afraid of being loud, the Ed9 is a good - albeit expensive - contender!

Sep 3, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #11 of 36
To the OP: The sweetness of the sound the GS1k's offer at low volumes was a big inducement for me to order my pair. Consider the fact you find listening loud to them to be a harsh, unsatisfactory experience as a gift to your ears 5 - 10 years from now.
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnaud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have noticed I can crank up the music to dangerously high levels with my Ultrasone Edition 9 (c.f. rig in signature). It's almost irresistable for some rock music, borderline unsafe I would say! Absolutely no sign of compression, hardness , pure dynamics...

I did spend 5 minutes with the GS-1000 at the store where I purchased the Edition 9, I did not like them (too bright) out of a tomahawk / iPod nano. I wasn't too excited with the comfort so did not really give them a fair try I would say. Still, if you're after a rock headphone that's not afraid of being loud, the Ed9 is a good - albeit expensive - contender!

I'd agree here, Edition 9 is good for going loud if you desire, but the fun part is that when I turn up other headphones to the volume I consider comfortably loud on Edition 9, I get ringing in my ears after. Not so much with Edition 9s =]

Sep 3, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #14 of 36
Glad you're enjoying the GS. They managed to lure me into low-volume listening after years of having to blast music to enjoy it.

The RS1 + flats are a great combination for loud rock.

Sep 4, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #15 of 36
No headphone should be listened to loud. Senns sound louder because there is a roll off on the highs, but they are more laid back and boring.

So, speakers are for lous listening. Headphones listening loud will damanage the hearing. RS-1 with bowls are worse loud - flats don't give that energy that's needed. Just MO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back