Headphones for Home Recording/PC Usage
Nov 13, 2012 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Psy8cho

New Head-Fier
I decided to make a post on this forum, because I saw a lot of good info on here!
And decided to make my own thread for some specific answers.

I want to start recording my guitar, because I want to make covers of songs and be able to mix my own.
I own a Peavey Vypyr Tube 120W guitar amp, and a at the guitar forum I have already been told that it's not worth to mic it.
Therefore I am going to use it's USB interface, which I tested, and gives pretty good sound!

But I have a problem, the guitar amp mutes the speakers when I plug-in my USB cable. Now this is not the end of the world, cuz I was planning on using headphones anyway.
It has a normal 3.5 mm jack plug for my headphones. My current Creative Fatal1ty headphones just won't cut it, and need some studio headphones for Recording and mixing on the computer afterwards.

I have been looking at the AKG K240 MKII and the KRK-KNS8400 or KRK-KNS6400 (the KRK's don't differ much?)
So there also lays my budget, about max 125 euro's in my country, the netherlands aka Holland.

I also like to look at different Headphones ofc, these where just the pair I could find that met my requirements sort of:
-minimal 3 meter coiled de-atachable cable, for I will be playing my guitar while standing next to my amp.
-Needs to sit around my ears, not on top of them
-I will also use them on my computer to mix my recording or just plain watching a movie or playing a game.

Don't know about the following yet:
-Open, closed or semi-open, depends on what the differences/benefits are? And if I will be able to use them on like my mp3/phone.
-The AKG, I read that it might need an headphone amp? That drives the costs up a bit, solutions?
-KRK-KNS8400 vs KRK-KNS6400

Hope you guys can help me choose!
wink.gif

Thnx, Rik

Nov 13, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 4
Heya,

If you're looking to have a "do it all" headphone, the AKG K271 MKII or AKG K272 HD would be a good choice. You're going to want to go with closed headphones, not open headphones, for recording, otherwise, you'll hear sounds from your instrument through the headphones (with open air) that can be distracting or misleading. The KRK 6400/8400 are good for recording/mastering, but they may leave you a little underwhelmed when it comes to movies & games (they're incredibly flat and dry, which is great for recording, but awful for movies & games).

Very best,

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 4
Thnx for your quick reply!

Well I think that even the dry sound will be an improvement on my current headhphones. :wink:
And don't you think that the volume will cover-up my playing, I mean it's electric acousticly, doesn't make much sound.
But the I would also look into the AKG K271 MKII, because they are only a little bit more expensive but closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back