Headphones for gaming/rap
Oct 4, 2013 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

bajsmalen

New Head-Fier
Hi guys.

I now have a pair of AD700's that I used to power with a Auzentech X-Fi Forte card but I'm now looking at a Creative Titanium HD since it broke down..

But I'm also looking for a new pair of headphones that still will work great for gaming but are a little more fun to listen to for my music taste. (60% gaming, 40% music)
I mostly listen to hip hop but im more lyrical interested and appreciate good overall sound before just pure bass.

I been look a fair deal at the MA-900's and the Fidelio X1's and with these im stretching my budget a lil' bit, I've also looked at the PC 360 headset but I assume they will lack the bass.

So I was hoping that you guys maybe have some more headphone tips or opinions on the ones I've been looking at?

Regards.

Oct 4, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 14
Did you already buy the T-HD (Titanium HD)?

Sennheiser HD558, only $130 at Amazon.

Oct 5, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #3 of 14
For a dynamic driver I would go for the MA900. I tested it with Pete Rock and CL Smooth on my local sony store, sounded pretty nice.

I would recommend the HE400 though, flat bass and nice mids.

Oct 5, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #4 of 14
  Did you already buy the T-HD (Titanium HD)?

Sennheiser HD558, only $130 at Amazon.

No, but im pretty sure ill buy it this week. My local shop didnt have it until the 10th

Quote:
  For a dynamic driver I would go for the MA900. I tested it with Pete Rock and CL Smooth on my local sony store, sounded pretty nice.

I would recommend the HE400 though, flat bass and nice mids.

HE400 was a bit too pricey.

Is the Titanium HD able to run the MA900 or do I need an external amp?

Oct 5, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #5 of 14

No, but I'm pretty sure ill buy it this week. My local shop didn't have it until the 10th

HE400 was a bit too pricey.

Is the Titanium HD able to run the MA900 or do I need an external amp?

I would think to keep using the ATH-AD700 for FPS gaming and get the second headphone for music.
Or would you sell off the AD700 and put the cash towards your sound card/headphone purchase?

I believe the (50-Ohm) Senn PC 360 uses the same driver as the (50-Ohm) Senn HD518/HD558/HD598.

The Titanium HD's headphone output is 35-Ohms, which in theory is not considered a good match for 12-Ohm impedance headphones (MA900).
A Schiit Magni ($99) headphone amplifier, could be plugged into the Titanium HD's RCA outputs and just about any headphone you like (MA900) could be plugged into the Magni.

Oct 6, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #8 of 14
  I would think to keep using the ATH-AD700 for FPS gaming and get the second headphone for music.
Or would you sell off the AD700 and put the cash towards your sound card/headphone purchase?

I believe the (50-Ohm) Senn PC 360 uses the same driver as the (50-Ohm) Senn HD518/HD558/HD598.

The Titanium HD's headphone output is 35-Ohms, which in theory is not considered a good match for 12-Ohm impedance headphones (MA900).
A Schiit Magni ($99) headphone amplifier, could be plugged into the Titanium HD's RCA outputs and just about any headphone you like (MA900) could be plugged into the Magni.

I'm probably selling my AD700's, I really like them but I want something new cause I had them for awhile, but I'm mainly swapping cause of the looks of them and the lack of bass.magni
I live in Sweden and the Magni amp goes for 143$ shipped unfortunately.

But I can get the AD900X and the AD700X for the same price here for some reason, and 1/3 cheaper than the MA900.

Do you think the AD900X might be something to look at? And does these work without an amp into the Titanium HD? I'm no good at the Ohm ratings and "stuff"

Oct 6, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #9 of 14

I'm probably selling my AD700's, I really like them but I want something new cause I had them for awhile, but I'm mainly swapping cause of the looks of them and the lack of bass.magni
I live in Sweden and the Magni amp goes for 143$ shipped unfortunately.

But I can get the AD900X and the AD700X for the same price here for some reason, and 1/3 cheaper than the MA900.

Do you think the AD900X might be something to look at? And does these work without an amp into the Titanium HD? I'm no good at the Ohm ratings and "stuff"

I own the ATH-A900X closed headphones and I really like them for music, I would assume the ATH-AD900X, being an open headphone, sounds even better. Should also be fine for gaming.
The AD900X should do ok plugged straight into the Titanium HD's headphone jack.
But a low impedance headphone amplifier would be preferred.

Later on maybe you could get an Epiphany Acoustics EHP-02 headphone amplifier, it's 99.99 GBP, sold in the U.K. But I would assume you might find a good price on a used one.
http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/products-page/headphone-amplifiers/ehp-o2-portable-headphone-amplifier/

Oct 6, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #10 of 14
For the money the DT990/250 Pro's are an easy win. Super comfortable very affordable with a huge soundstage and fun sound signature. Win on all fronts!

Thanks,

:evil:

Oct 6, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #11 of 14
For the money the DT990/250 Pro's are an easy win. Super comfortable very affordable with a huge soundstage and fun sound signature. Win on all fronts!

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

What amp would you suggest for these?

I'm going back and forth between the MA900, AD900X and the DT990P/250

Oct 6, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #12 of 14
Okay guys I just bought myself a pair of used DT990P/250 in mint condition supposedly, on eBay for 115$ calculated from SEK to USD. Now we just have to see if they show up xD.

So what amp do you guys think I should be aiming at to go with the DT990P/250's and a Titanium HD?

Two of the songs that might go through my headphones for you to understand the type of hip hop I might be listening to

Thanks to everyone who has answered so far!

Oct 6, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #13 of 14
  Okay guys I just bought myself a pair of used DT990P/250 in mint condition supposedly, on eBay for 115$ calculated from SEK to USD. Now we just have to see if they show up xD.

So what amp do you guys think I should be aiming at to go with the DT990P/250's and a Titanium HD?

You should be able to plug the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm headphones straight into the Titanium HD's headphone jack, for now.

Maybe give you a little time to find a good price on a used headphone amplifier.
You can order a no name Made in China tube headphone amplifier, off eBay, for $50.
But I think spending at least $100 would be a good investment.

Might find a good deal from someone in Europe, on this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/f/6551/amplification-for-sale-trade/-filter-/RmlsdGVyJTVCdHlwZSU1RCU1QjElNUQvMS9GaWx0ZXIlNUJ0eXBlJTVEJTVCMiU1RC8xL0ZpbHRlciU1QnR5cGUlNUQlNUI0JTVELzEvRmlsdGVyJTVCc3RhdGUlNUQlNUJPcGVuJTVELzEvRmlsdGVyJTVCb3JkZXJfYnklNUQvQ2xhc3NpZmllZC5jcmVhdGVkX2F0L3BhZ2UvMA,,/

Oct 6, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #14 of 14

Two of the songs that might go through my headphones for you to understand the type of hip hop I might be listening to

Thanks to everyone who has answered so far!

Amp for the money that's easy. Fiio E12. You can find one used for $100 and it will power with force anything you connect it too and has a smooth sound signature with a great bass boost. For $100 I highly doubt there is anything else out there that's as good for the money.

Thanks,

:evil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back