Headphones for Gaming? FPS
Jun 10, 2008 at 10:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

vin

New Head-Fier
Been reading a lot lately about headsets for games, but can't really narrow the selections down. I noticed a few that recommend the AD700 & AD900. Also Looking at the HD 555 and HD595, but not too many inputs on that headset for gaming. I use to use the Super.fi 5 Pros until my stupid dog decided to chew it up
mad.gif
. Only had it for about 3 months too =/. Anyways im looking for headphones specifically for FPS games, Movies, & Music. I prefer that it does not require an amp. i guess if you were to recommend one that requires an amp, could you provide the amp info as well? any help would be appreciated. I do prefer In Ear buds, but i read that its not that good for gaming.

-Gaming, Movies, Music
-Does not need an amp.
-If amp is needed please provide a amp?
-$200(max) prefer ($100-$150) Willing to streth $250 or $275 if its worth the extra $.

Thanks in Advance.

-Vince

Jun 10, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #3 of 46
I find 280 pros quite good for gaming.... they're reasonably cheap...

Jun 10, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #4 of 46
Rather than the AD700's, you might prefer the A700's. If powered from a computer they do not need an amp (although it MAY help). Gamers generally prefer isolation with their headphones, so that all they can hear is the game, and nothing else.

Since the AD700's are open-backed they may not be ideal. The A700's have some fair isolation, but not superb. They are GREAT for at-home gaming, but probably not things such as LAN parties and what not.

The 280 Pros are also good, but they lack the "umph" that makes the audio in games and movies enjoyable.

Jun 10, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #5 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by vin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been reading a lot lately about headsets for games, but can't really narrow the selections down. I noticed a few that recommend the AD700 & AD900.

I've the ad900's and they are absolutely horrible for gaming. Their isolation is non-existent, which is fine because I'm in a quiet environment. It is difficult to locate the enemies, this is why they arent good headphones for gaming. The detail is great, the bass isnt boomy at all and they are extremely comfortable for me. I'm pretty sure the a700 (yes, a700, not ad700) would be a lot better for gaming.

Jun 10, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #6 of 46
Personally, if you are gaming, you should not use headphones. The only way to listen to games or movies is in 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound. I guess if you are in a dorm or apartment and cannot do full size speakers you should go with simulated surround sound headphones. They are probably low SQ though, I've never used them, so I don't even know how great the surround sound is.

Jun 10, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #7 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantocrator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, if you are gaming, you should not use headphones. The only way to listen to games or movies is in 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound. I guess if you are in a dorm or apartment and cannot do full size speakers you should go with simulated surround sound headphones. They are probably low SQ though, I've never used them, so I don't even know how great the surround sound is.

Search around for stereo vs. "surround" sound "5.1" headphones. Speakers are the best if you have a room dedicated for them, but it's quite hard to bring 5.1 speakers to LAN's and set them up properly, or playing at night without waking up your wife/family/etc.
rolleyes.gif

You can get a 5.1 adapter for stereoheadphones, and supposedly they work pretty well for _gaming_.

Read here. (there's also a nice list of recommended headphones for gaming):

5.1 adapter/systems for stereo headphones guide. - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Jun 10, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #8 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by yepyep_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've the ad900's and they are absolutely horrible for gaming. Their isolation is non-existent, which is fine because I'm in a quiet environment. It is difficult to locate the enemies, this is why they arent good headphones for gaming. The detail is great, the bass isnt boomy at all and they are extremely comfortable for me. I'm pretty sure the a700 (yes, a700, not ad700) would be a lot better for gaming.

I have the AD700 and they're great for gaming, They work best when there no noise or little noise. And then there fine for those who dont want bassy headphones,or isnt a basshead or alot of bass.

Pantocrator not really, with the AD700 I dont have a problem with hearing around me,Because I used to use 5.1 headphones my self. Then Stop after I got sick them with one flaw after the other with diffent sets.

Now I just use my AD700 in 2.0/2.1 and CMS normal with 90 Degrees edited in my THX.ini for left and right channel.When I playing games just so I can get Above and below sounds With CMS normal then without it. And its much better to me then using so called Surround sound headphones, I used for years before I got a real set of headphones.

Jun 10, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #9 of 46
of all the headphones i have owned or tried, the K701 yielded the best performance (frag/death ratio or actual pwnage) for me.

Just an observation of ratios from my experience. ymmv

Jun 10, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #11 of 46
Still doesn't make it better than a legitimate 5.1 surround sound system. Nothing beats having real speakers placed all around you for gaming- not music, mind you, but gaming.

Jun 10, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #12 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantocrator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still doesn't make it better than a legitimate 5.1 surround sound system. Nothing beats having real speakers placed all around you for gaming- not music, mind you, but gaming.

I don't think I could disagree more with you. Everything I've found with speakers makes it hard to make footsteps audible without losing your hearing. The X-Fi soundcard is pretty adept at turning 2.1 sounds into multi directional 5.1 imitations... assuming that both the game engine can support it and you have it configured properly. Call of Duty 4 for example has fairly terrible directional audio while most things on the source engine are rock solid.

I've used Beyers/Senns/Grados and Ultrasone headphones, and with some exceptions on soundstage any/all of those beat even the best 5.1 systems I've set up or heard from other people.

Jun 10, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #14 of 46
I've never used surround sound with a PC, but I have an extremely modest 5.1 surround sound system from a dvd player that I use with my xbox 360 and xbox. Even though it is very modest, it is better than any other stereo setup with or without fake surround sound that I have ever heard. My 2 cents.
Again, this is only for gaming and movies, you definitely want stereo for music listening and the like, but seriously, I cannot see and stereo system beating out a real 5.1 speaker system for gaming.

PS I can hear footsteps just fine coming from behind me in Halo, GOW, COD 4, and the volume is not too loud. You either need to check your balance settings (maybe the sound effects are not loud enough) or your ears are weird.

Jun 10, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone answer my questions, I need to buy a headphone/headset soon.

Sorry dude. I can't really help you. Does your situation let you use real speakers, or are you in a situation where you need to be quiet for other people? This place is really good for high quality audio, but since you are looking for gaming, check some HQ gaming forums as well. maximumpc takes a lot of time to answer questions, but they really know pcs, gamesradar, gamespot, xbox/sony forums, and other gaming forums might be a good place to get second opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back