Headphones for Gaming? FPS
Jun 10, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #16 of 46
who needs 5.1 when you can have holophonic sound
wink.gif

YouTube - Virtual Barber Shop (Audio...use headphones, close ur eyes)

Jun 10, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #17 of 46
JBL refference, Ultrasone

Jun 10, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #18 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think I could disagree more with you. Everything I've found with speakers makes it hard to make footsteps audible without losing your hearing. The X-Fi soundcard is pretty adept at turning 2.1 sounds into multi directional 5.1 imitations... assuming that both the game engine can support it and you have it configured properly. Call of Duty 4 for example has fairly terrible directional audio while most things on the source engine are rock solid.

I've used Beyers/Senns/Grados and Ultrasone headphones, and with some exceptions on soundstage any/all of those beat even the best 5.1 systems I've set up or heard from other people.

indeed you just change the settings on the x-fi panel

Jun 11, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #19 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whats opinions do you guys have on the following:
Sennheiser HD485
Shure E2C
Plantronics .Audio 370

hd485- comfy, ok bass, not good on highs and mids.
audio.370. crappy sound- sounds about the same as any other gaming headset, great mic, comfy

never had the e2c

Jun 11, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #21 of 46
well for fps, i know that with halo, the top tear pros use sennheiser 555s/595s, and beyerdynamic 880s. they also use astro gaming a40s, but they don't have as good sound quality as senns/beyers. the only reason they use em is to promote MLG (plus they got 40% off for em since pro status :p)

Jun 11, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #22 of 46
The 485 probably isn't a bad bet for you if isolation isn't a *big* concern. It's got a lot of the bass boom that's reasonably useful, and it's rather cheap.

I'm also in agreement that headphones are far superior to 5.1 systems for gaming. 5.1 systems are all fine and well but they blast music at the back of your hear not directly into your ears. Dolby labs and a few others use some pretty convincing reverb and delay techniques designed for 2-channel / headphone systems to fool you into thinking sounds are behind you... works very well for the likes of counter-strike!

Jun 11, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #23 of 46
A900's (closed)

Jun 11, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #24 of 46
There is simply no comparison. A good set of headphones will annihilate any 5.1 setup in terms of sensitivity and distance positioning.

Go for the Ultrasone HFI-780s or the ER4Ps.

Jun 11, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #25 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by yepyep_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've the ad900's and they are absolutely horrible for gaming. Their isolation is non-existent, which is fine because I'm in a quiet environment. It is difficult to locate the enemies, this is why they arent good headphones for gaming. The detail is great, the bass isnt boomy at all and they are extremely comfortable for me. I'm pretty sure the a700 (yes, a700, not ad700) would be a lot better for gaming.

The AD900 are my headphones of choice for fps gaming.
biggrin.gif
The sound stage is about 3 times larger on the AD900 than the A700 in CS:Source. That's not really a plus or minus but until you get used to it location can be a problem.

Jun 11, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #26 of 46
Beyer DT880 '05s + Dolby Headphone Technology Receiver + Desktop Headphone Amp = one of the best audio experiences for FPS. Huge soundstage. Rich, full sound. Very detailed. Pinpoint 3D sound placement. Great mids. And outstanding, tight, deep bass.

Jun 11, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #27 of 46
thanks for all the input, so basically i've narrowed it down to the hd595, a900's or the HFI-780s. i cut out the hd555 and the a700s because i want to enjoy music and movies to the fullest. I think im leaning more towards the hd595.. maybe the a900s... i swear every time im trying to buy something it takes me like 20 hours to decide which one i will actually buy.

Jun 11, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #28 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hd485- comfy, ok bass, not good on highs and mids.
audio.370. crappy sound- sounds about the same as any other gaming headset, great mic, comfy

never had the e2c

Thanks for answering my question.
I think my budget is lowered now, because I want to get a pair of IEMs as well. What do you guys think of the Sennheiser HD215 for gaming? I'm not too much of an audio whore, I just want above decent sound (hearing enemy footsteps and such), would this do the job?

Jun 11, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by vin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i swear every time im trying to buy something it takes me like 20 hours to decide which one i will actually buy.

The hunting and the researching is the best part of any purchase.
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #30 of 46
Why dont u just buy real Gaming Headphones...
i mean Gaming brands like Razer make some great USB powered headphones.

checkout Razer Piranha, SteelSound etc...all these are marketed as Gaming headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back