Headphones for Gaming? FPS
Jun 12, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why dont u just buy real Gaming Headphones...
i mean Gaming brands like Razer make some great USB powered headphones.

checkout Razer Piranha, SteelSound etc...all these are marketed as Gaming headphones.

You are kidding, right?

Gaming headphones/headsets most always = garbage.

Jun 12, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #32 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by vin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for all the input, so basically i've narrowed it down to the hd595, a900's or the HFI-780s. i cut out the hd555 and the a700s because i want to enjoy music and movies to the fullest. I think im leaning more towards the hd595.. maybe the a900s... i swear every time im trying to buy something it takes me like 20 hours to decide which one i will actually buy.

I have owned both the 780s and the 595s, and the beyer DT880s '05 editions are much better then those for gaming and movies.

Jun 12, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #33 of 46
DT880s are also a lot more expensive (at least in this part of the world). I wouldn't go for the 555s or 595s personally, but that's just because I heard them next to an HD600 and the 595s were no comparison in any respect.

However, gaming sound isn't really all that when it comes to audiophile quality, so any reasonably punchy, reasonably accurate set of closed headphones would suit just fine IMO.

Jun 12, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #34 of 46
Quote:

Been reading a lot lately about headsets for games, but can't really narrow the selections down. I noticed a few that recommend the AD700 & AD900. Also Looking at the HD 555 and HD595, but not too many inputs on that headset for gaming. I use to use the Super.fi 5 Pros until my stupid dog decided to chew it up
mad.gif
. Only had it for about 3 months too =/. Anyways im looking for headphones specifically for FPS games, Movies, & Music. I prefer that it does not require an amp. i guess if you were to recommend one that requires an amp, could you provide the amp info as well? any help would be appreciated. I do prefer In Ear buds, but i read that its not that good for gaming.

-Gaming, Movies, Music
-Does not need an amp.
-If amp is needed please provide a amp?
-$200(max) prefer ($100-$150) Willing to streth $250 or $275 if its worth the extra $.

Thanks in Advance.

-Vince

click in the link in my sig..Nuff said.
cool.gif

Jun 12, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foe-hammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are kidding, right?

Gaming headphones/headsets most always = garbage.

But..But.. The pro's use them so they must be better..
rolleyes.gif

Jun 12, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foe-hammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beyer DT880 '05s + Dolby Headphone Technology Receiver + Desktop Headphone Amp = one of the best audio experiences for FPS. Huge soundstage. Rich, full sound. Very detailed. Pinpoint 3D sound placement. Great mids. And outstanding, tight, deep bass.

Not just wide but very precise.. Upgrading to Dusty's PSU will do wonders to the bass..If you think it's good now..
biggrin.gif

Jun 12, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #37 of 46
DT880s seem to be well loved for gaming. However they are a semi-open can allowing sound to leak out. They seem to be highly regarded even in comparison to the Stax electrostatic headphones in terms of gaming. For closed cans Denon d2000 or d5000 might be a good option. I had the same dillemma and I wanted a can that I could use universally as well as for gaming. I ended up deciding that I would go for the Denon AH-D5000s as they are closed and do quite well when compared to open cans. You'll probably need an amp to make them sound their best however, when compared to the DT880s, the amp requirements are much less.

This is all info i gathered from the thread I made. Hope this is of some help.

P.S. These cans are pretty expensive so if you want a set just for gaming then these are overkill.

Jun 12, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #38 of 46
Another vote for DT880s...I had AD500/700 and the 880's are definitely better for games (although the AD's weren't bad by any means).

Jun 12, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #39 of 46
and just when i was about to pick up the a900s, now you guys have me looking at the denon ah-d2000 or the dt880s. lol. Well now i have another question. i plan on getting the JVC SUDH1 Headphone 5.1 adapter. But im not exactly sure what kind of amp i will need to power a denon ah-d2000. any suggestions? i don't want a top of the line amp =P just something that will help them. and just to let you guys know this would probably be my biggest jump in terms of headphones... started low with the e3g's 2 years ago, and a few months agos i got super.fi 5 pros. and now i want a bigger upgrade so im not too sure about amps. Guess im slowing edging towards audiophile, i just love the sound quality. Once i started i've only spent more and more each time.

Jun 12, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

and just when i was about to pick up the a900s, now you guys have me looking at the denon ah-d2000 or the dt880s. lol. Well now i have another question. i plan on getting the JVC SUDH1 Headphone 5.1 adapter. But im not exactly sure what kind of amp i will need to power a denon ah-d2000. any suggestions? i don't want a top of the line amp =P just something that will help them. and just to let you guys know this would probably be my biggest jump in terms of headphones... started low with the e3g's 2 years ago, and a few months agos i got super.fi 5 pros. and now i want a bigger upgrade so im not too sure about amps. Guess im slowing edging towards audiophile, i just love the sound quality. Once i started i've only spent more and more each time.

From what I gather, DT880s require a very good desktop amp to get decent sound out of them. The D5000s would require less. Hence logically the D2000s would require even less than its bigger brother (taking an educated guess, not necessarily accurate). I know this doesn't quite answer your question but it's also a question I want to know the answer to.
tongue.gif
I'm leaning towards a Pico to power my D5000s on the go and for gaming at least till I get a dedicated desktop amp. Not sure if that'd be enough so I'm interested in hearing what kind of amp would best power them too.

Jun 13, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #41 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for answering my question.
I think my budget is lowered now, because I want to get a pair of IEMs as well. What do you guys think of the Sennheiser HD215 for gaming? I'm not too much of an audio whore, I just want above decent sound (hearing enemy footsteps and such), would this do the job?

i have briefly had the hd215- its very harsh sounding. ok comfort, great isolation. what your budget? and do you want open or closed headphones?
for fps gaming u want a bright and detailed sound. sennheiser hd555 or better, audio technica ath-ad500 or better work great. i personally use a senn hd565 and an audio technica ath-pro700. i also use a beyer dt770 if i want to feel the boom. all through an x-fi. i am also a hardcore fps gamer

Jun 14, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #42 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have briefly had the hd215- its very harsh sounding. ok comfort, great isolation. what your budget? and do you want open or closed headphones?
for fps gaming u want a bright and detailed sound. sennheiser hd555 or better, audio technica ath-ad500 or better work great. i personally use a senn hd565 and an audio technica ath-pro700. i also use a beyer dt770 if i want to feel the boom. all through an x-fi. i am also a hardcore fps gamer

My budget is £30-£40 and the HD215 are looking more and more ideal as I research them.
The Sennheiser HD485 are also looking good, is there a big difference between the HD215?

Jun 15, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #43 of 46
I currently own a pair of 595's and am looking to upgrade. For me my only concern is gaming. Im considering the astro a40 headphones with the amp. The built on mic is a plus and 5.1 seems like a plus. Am i better off just getting the mixamp and sticking with the 595s though? I game on both 360 and pc.

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My budget is £30-£40 and the HD215 are looking more and more ideal as I research them.
The Sennheiser HD485 are also looking good, is there a big difference between the HD215?

the 485s are open cans-very comfy- not great on hi notes. the hd215 are closed-good isolation, the sound is very harsh for a senn, might mellow with a burn in. the 215 does give a lot of bass but needs a decent source like a nice sound card or at least a cmoy type amp. the 485 runs on anything

if you are ok with a closed headphone the 215 gives a better sound. to be honest i wasnt impressed with either

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #45 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gh0s7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently own a pair of 595's and am looking to upgrade. For me my only concern is gaming. Im considering the astro a40 headphones with the amp. The built on mic is a plus and 5.1 seems like a plus. Am i better off just getting the mixamp and sticking with the 595s though? I game on both 360 and pc.

I went through a similar decision as to whether to a) get the mixamp and use with my AKG K701s or b) go for the Astro mixamp / headset combo. I went with option a) mixamp only.

Here's a link to my post: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/gam...3/#post4344537

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back