Headphones for Gaming and Music
Oct 28, 2010 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

iAteBillyMays

New Head-Fier
Hello all!  I'm looking to purchase a nice pair of headphones I can game with on my Xbox 360 and listen to music with (a 50:50 split).  I listen to a lot of Dubstep and DnB, so a pair of headphones that have a wide frequency range and lots of bass are a must.  I also need these headphones to enhance my online gaming performance.  Thanks in advance!

Oct 29, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #5 of 13
The ATH-A700 perhaps? Not exactly bass monsters, but gamers seem to like them and their open-backed cousin the AD700 (less bass, airier presentation) a lot because of their wide soundstage and good imaging/positioning.

The ATH-M50 is bassier than both and images well, too. All should work fine from an unamped source.

As a side note, you're hooking up via the RCA outputs? I'm not sure I understand. Do you have some sort of adapter that accepts a male 3.5mm jack?

Oct 30, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #7 of 13
You will want an amp of some type, as volume thru RCA Xbox 360 out is very low...
and not adjustable either.

Fiio E5 headphone amp is what i use, it has volume control and bass boost too.

Oct 30, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #8 of 13
Amazon at the moment has the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro for -just- over your budget @ $174.95. If you want bass, those are highly regarded as one of the bassiest monsters here. They will most likely need some sort of amp in the future when you afford them. Also great for gaming, in which since you are on a console I would highly recommend looking into getting an Astro Mixamp. I know this all leads to spending more than you would like but the results are phenomenal.

Oct 30, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #9 of 13
The Fiio E5 Headphone amp is around $35.

Oct 30, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
Hello all!  I'm looking to purchase a nice pair of headphones I can game with on my Xbox 360 and listen to music with (a 50:50 split).  I listen to a lot of Dubstep and DnB, so a pair of headphones that have a wide frequency range and lots of bass are a must.  I also need these headphones to enhance my online gaming performance.  Thanks in advance!

Well that kinda narrows it down to the DT770pro /80ohm .a little over budget though    ....

Oct 30, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #11 of 13
Hello, I've been lurking around the forums here for a little while, and I needed some opinions on a very similar issue.  Instead of starting a new thread on virtually the same topic, I thought I'd just post in this thread.  (Sorry if I'm hijacking!)

I'm looking for some headphones which are good for both games and music.   I play games for both competitiveness and immersion.  Some examples would include Bad Company 2, Battlefield 2142, STALKER, Crysis, Dead Space, Counter-Strike, etc.  However, when I'm not gaming I'm usually listening to music.  Nearly every genre under the sun resides in my library, but if asked to narrow it down to a few I'm probably spending most of my time listening to electronica, rock, and some indie music.

I need a pair of closed back headphones to fill these needs.  So, after spending some time with the search feature I've narrowed down my choices to the Audio Technica A700 and M50.  The chief dilemma is this:  I'm actually leaning towards the M50 for their bass (with immersion and electronica in mind), but I'm afraid I'll be missing out on a larger soundstage with the A700.   Is the soundstage difference between the two very noticeable?  Additionally, I hear that that A700 is more comfortable, but not as sturdy.  I do plan on picking up an Astro MixAmp (for my consoles) and decent soundcard down the road too, so keep that in mind.

If anyone would be so kind as to post some opinions on the matter for me, that would be great!  I'm open to any kind of suggestions, even some different headphone choices in the same price range.  Thanks!

Oct 30, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #12 of 13
niildotz you might want to check out creative aurvana lives, thats what i got for both music and gaming with the mixamp. I got AD700's too but the immersion is much nicer on aurvanas and i'll propably sell the AD's soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back