Headphone's for gameing
Jan 13, 2008 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

solarflare

100+ Head-Fier
Hello
So im in the market now for a new set of headphones. 90% gameing .
Im running a XFi- Extreme Gamer SB card.

I was looking into the from what i can see Gimicky 5.1 headsets.

From what i hear the Xfi produces a better 3D enviorment then 5.1 headsets can with Sterio Cans.

Ive always been a CAN user Mostly have used Closed cans with earmuffs that go over my entire ear.

ok onto the question.

I have a pair of new cans ordered but they are on backorder

Everglide S-500
Transducer Dynamic
Nominal Dependance 16 Ohm
Max. Sound Pressure Level (SPL) 102 dB
Max. Power Rating 100 mW
Weight w/o Cable 350 g
Cable Length 3.1 m
Frequency Response 20 hz ~ 20 khz

my main reason for ordering them was from what i can see they will push easy and from the reviews ive read they do not distort one bit when maxed out. but i hear they have a weaker bass.. Not a huge deal if they pick out sounds good in gameing.

Ok my question is this Are there any Cans That are much better in the 200 or less $ market than these ? while i am waiting for these i can at any time credit myself the $ back and order something else.

Keep in mind i have no headphone amp. not that i couldnt buy one tho if it would make a big difference.

now i see Sennheiser HD 555 on the same site on sale for $139.99 Cad

Do you think those would be a better alternative ? ..

i could really use some help on this because my current headset is basicaly average at best its a JVC HA-G55

Jan 13, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 32
i've never seen that brand of headphone
the sennheiser hd555 are good for gaming
i use them on the rare occasion when i play COD

but if you want something closed
maybe look into the beyerdynamic dt770
they're very comfortable and have great bass

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by solarflare /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello
So im in the market now for a new set of headphones. 90% gameing .
Im running a XFi- Extreme Gamer SB card.

I was looking into the from what i can see Gimicky 5.1 headsets.

From what i hear the Xfi produces a better 3D enviorment then 5.1 headsets can with Sterio Cans.

Ive always been a CAN user Mostly have used Closed cans with earmuffs that go over my entire ear.

ok onto the question.

I have a pair of new cans ordered but they are on backorder

Everglide S-500
Transducer Dynamic
Nominal Dependance 16 Ohm
Max. Sound Pressure Level (SPL) 102 dB
Max. Power Rating 100 mW
Weight w/o Cable 350 g
Cable Length 3.1 m
Frequency Response 20 hz ~ 20 khz

my main reason for ordering them was from what i can see they will push easy and from the reviews ive read they do not distort one bit when maxed out. but i hear they have a weaker bass.. Not a huge deal if they pick out sounds good in gameing.

Ok my question is this Are there any Cans That are much better in the 200 or less $ market than these ? while i am waiting for these i can at any time credit myself the $ back and order something else.

Keep in mind i have no headphone amp. not that i couldnt buy one tho if it would make a big difference.

now i see Sennheiser HD 555 on the same site on sale for $139.99 Cad

Do you think those would be a better alternative ? ..

i could really use some help on this because my current headset is basicaly average at best its a JVC HA-G55

Don't ever buy headphones made from a computer Acc company.. Id look into the AT700/AT900/Senn 555/Sen 595/

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 32
i like my cheaper senn 590 for gaming better than my 650s.. less detail and bigger bass
and i agree...x fi 3d effects are incredible and accurate in games

Jan 13, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #8 of 32
would love to give you some feedback on the everglides, but all I know from them is that they're mousepad is half decent.

Are you looking for headphones for 1) the gaming experience (immersing yourself in the environment- feeling the explosions, hearing the texture of sound from the room you're in), with voice chat capabilities or 2) headphones for competitive play (i.e. some sort of FPS shooter where you need strong positioning cues).

I don't know much about the first type, but I do believe the headphones recommended by kool bubba ice are pretty solid for use in the second type. Just ran into him on a gaming website this past week, and his advice has been paying off for them.

Jan 13, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #9 of 32
DT 770 PRO 80 ohms and A900 is the standing recommendation and the occasional sennheiser of course.

Proline 750 is by far the best I have used then DT 770 PRO and last A900 for gaming.

as for fake 3d sound well stereo headphones using techniques like CMSS3D does work however our brain tends to get less and less fooled by this techniques the longer we use them... So wouldn´t say it needs to be better then 5.1 headphones that can also be used together with these techniques... However you can get better sound quality for less money for sure with 2 good instead of 4 average drivers...

But well my standing recommendation is PL 750 for everything movies, music, gaming compared to those above
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #11 of 32
All headphones perform almost identically while gaming. It's the physical limitations of having two stereo speakers strapped to your head. My AD900's, D2000's and SR225's all perform equally well while gaming. I prefer the AD900's though because the midrange is killer so voices, gunshots and explosions all sound more lifelike. Go with a headphone you like the sound of and use it for gaming.

Jan 13, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #12 of 32
After reading a ton of threads on this board i am probably going to get senns hd595's. I am currently using icemats siberia's and i have a pair of steelpads 5h's, they're slightly better than some cheap $20 headphones so i don't expect everglide(company that makes mousepads and other gaming gear) to make a better headset. Also these so called gaming headsets are terrible especially for anything else besides playing games.

Jan 13, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #13 of 32
i canceled my order

going with the 555's because they are nearly 300$ less right now than the 595's

have to go with Sennheiser mostly because thats all this place has for quality phones and im going to use the credit on them immediately.

now onto another question should i have a pre amp to dive these ? or will it be fine as is ?

Jan 14, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

now onto another question should i have a pre amp to dive these ? or will it be fine as is ?

I was going to ask the same thing. I'm using k81dj on my pc (for gaming, music etc) which is fine without an amp. But what about these Senns and ATs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back