Headphone's for gameing
Jan 14, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All headphones perform almost identically while gaming.

I think I would disagree. At least from a multiplayer FPS perspective. I started with some MS-1s and the positioning wasn't very good. I also had problems with the rear channel and I couldn't hear things directly behind me. I stepped up to a A700 and they were much better. The AD900 were better still. The HD650 is only slightly better than the MS1. The positioning isn't that good and they over emphasize echoes which covers up other important sounds.

Jan 14, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #18 of 32
I still don't understand the whole thing about getting such good headphones for games...

What is there that you need to hear so perfectly? Do you lean back and appreciate the sound of machine gun fire?

Jan 14, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All headphones perform almost identically while gaming. It's the physical limitations of having two stereo speakers strapped to your head.

I disagree. Different headphones produce different 3d soundstages which may or may not work well with different game engines. For instance in Counter-Strike Source I find the A900 better then the AD900. The AD900 places sounds too far away, while the A900 is just right. This is not to say that the A900 will be better at all games, just CSS. It is probably due to the weird sound engine that Source based games use (they exaggerate positioning probably to offset cheap headphones).

Tonally i prefer the AD900 (guns sound more realistic, grenades have more impact to them) but that doesn't mean it is better, just different.

Jan 14, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #21 of 32
i use my dt770s amped up and LOVE IT!

Jan 14, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #22 of 32
competitive gaming the difference between hearing someone doing a reload a few corners away or not to give him away.

some headphones plain don't pick up those low subtle noises. or just don't reproduce them at a level you can pick them out at. that i know from past cans I've owned.
which thus far have only been a few.

I had a Yamaha headset that unless amped you couldn't hear much of any detailed sound at all but that was along time ago and was stolen out of my truck along with the amp i had for it.

and I'm hoping these headphones have made some ground since my last purchase 5 years ago which were some cheaper JVC's to replace my stolen Yamahas.

i see headphone amps have come along way tho as far as brand offerings.

The question is .. with those 555's i just ordered will there be a good reasonable difference in sound quality / clarity if i run a amp on them.

As above I'm told my Xfi will run them but I wonder if it will sound better or un-noticeable Like i said before my old Yamaha's would hardly play without a headphone amp on them but with the amp they were Great Headphones for me. they were a-little expensive so i didn't replace them with anything of near quality as at the time i was in College.

but now with more $ to spend I'm looking to get some quality sound going again the 555's look to be good.

If anyone feels a amp would be necessary what would be a foolproof good amp for a reasonable Price point to go with these cans?

Jan 14, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by espire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still don't understand the whole thing about getting such good headphones for games...

What is there that you need to hear so perfectly? Do you lean back and appreciate the sound of machine gun fire?

To be honest? Yes.. Hearing fire crackling with my 650's on Far Cry is magical.. Its like a Biaural recording at times.. I just sit there & listened to the fire for minutes..

Jan 14, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For instance in Counter-Strike Source I find the A900 better then the AD900. The AD900 places sounds too far away, while the A900 is just right.

That's interesting. The extra separation is why I prefer the AD900 over the A700. I felt it was an improvement but I guess I can see why someone might think it spreads things out too much. There was a bit of a ear-brain learning curve but once I got used to it I think it fit me better. I felt it helped with vertical positioning.

Jan 18, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #26 of 32
Does anyone here have experience with the HD600 for gaming? If so how well do they perform?

Jan 18, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #27 of 32
Personally, as a console (ps3, 360) gamer, I go for my speaker setup, best representation of a 3d space. But for headphones Ill add my vote for any headphone that generally sounds good. I think that youll get a great experience out of any nice set of headphones.

In terms of being able to identify where a sound is coming from in relation to the game's space, good luck on that with any set of phones. Just get a pair that are comfortable, you dont want to be pulled out of an experience because of discomfort as well as generally sound to your liking.

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by zombi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, as a console (ps3, 360) gamer, I go for my speaker setup, best representation of a 3d space. But for headphones Ill add my vote for any headphone that generally sounds good. I think that youll get a great experience out of any nice set of headphones.

In terms of being able to identify where a sound is coming from in relation to the game's space, good luck on that with any set of phones
. Just get a pair that are comfortable, you dont want to be pulled out of an experience because of discomfort as well as generally sound to your liking.

You can with headphones.. Especially with DH.. & if detail is a gamers number 1 concern they need to chuck their speakers for some quality cans..

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #29 of 32
I've got the A900 and he HD555. I'd say the A900 is the best gaming set I've ever used or tested. Better than the Everglide S500. Go for it eyes closed. And the fact that they're great for music too doesn't hurt. Lastly you'll want them for movies as well. A terrific all rounder, and I heartily recommend the A900 for around 180$ US.

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got the A900 and he HD555. I'd say the A900 is the best gaming set I've ever used or tested. Better than the Everglide S500. Go for it eyes closed. And the fact that they're great for music too doesn't hurt. Lastly you'll want them for movies as well. A terrific all rounder, and I heartily recommend the A900 for around 180$ US.

Unfortunately most gamers will pass on a 180.00 headphone..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back