Headphones for Flight?
Mar 29, 2013 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

bonoscot

New Head-Fier
Hey people im looking into a set of headphones for my tablet/iphone for flying,can anyone recommend some that I can look into?

noise cancellation ofc
Pretty loud  for movies/music/ games
Hopefully look pretty good on flight and out and about/

Would appreciate it guys im stuck at looking into this  so I asking the experts :)

Mar 29, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #3 of 20
They look good...but I don't wanna sell my kidneys to get a pair at that price just for a flight  LOL ....can you recommend a little cheaper alternative.....maybe about $250/£200

Mar 29, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 20
For airplane active noise cancellation, Bose is about the best you're going to get. Unfortunately, the sound is not very good and they're expensive. I'd actually recommend getting IEM's instead since they will passively isolate extremely well.

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:
For airplane active noise cancellation, Bose is about the best you're going to get. Unfortunately, the sound is not very good and they're expensive. I'd actually recommend getting IEM's instead since they will passively isolate extremely well.

+1. IEMs are the way to go IMO unless you can't use them because of discomfort. They're a much better solution than active noise cancelling.

Mar 30, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #7 of 20
While I'm a fan of the QC15, I prefer IEMs for travel as well (they're more compact, and the really good ones can block out an unreal amount of outside noise (as opposed to just "masking" it)). I'd honestly suggest IEMs as well. That having been said, if you want a full-size headphone, the QC15 are the route I'd take - I've yet to hear another ANC headphone that comes close. :xf_eek:

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #8 of 20
Ok I might go iem route then...are there any you guys can suggest then.....I am going to pay for the

Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO for home use...so looking for a cheaper pair of iem for flight and travel....thanks

Mar 30, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #9 of 20
I've had great results from my Westone 3's. I dismissed higher end IEM's as too bulky and ill-fitting after having problems with UE's old series, but the Westones somehow manage to make a big IEM fit perfectly and securely. If you want a more neutral sound signature, they have the UM3X's.

Mar 30, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #10 of 20
for full cans, I like my pxc 450s when i go flying and as far as not full I would just go with ATH-CKM500s, they're great little IEMs for the price bracket that they are in fitting audio technica's usually generous price/performance ratio

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:
They look good...but I don't wanna sell my kidneys to get a pair at that price just for a flight  LOL ....can you recommend a little cheaper alternative.....maybe about $250/£200

The best you can do at $250 is to get yourself a set of Etymotic ER-4P. Best sound isolation available and they punch well above their price range, and can be driven easily by portable devices.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #12 of 20
I've owned the ER-4P and liked it a lot, but I've been very happy with the HF5 as well. It's a great IEM for the money IMO. As for isolation, that's pretty much dependent on tips. The HF5 isolates just as well as the ER-4P when using the same tips in the same ears.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #14 of 20
Honestly, I don't think active noise canceling is necessary. I flew with the edition 8s and I couldn't hear a thing when I was using it. I plan on using a pair of T70 on my upcoming flight.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #15 of 20
Honestly, I don't think active noise canceling is necessary. I flew with the edition 8s and I couldn't hear a thing when I was using it. I plan on using a pair of T70 on my upcoming flight.

T70 isolate very well IME. That's one thing I will never complain about with those headphones. :)

And on the Etys - I have the "hearing protection" Etys, and they do a superb job; if the IEMs are as competent, I think you'll be AOK, and I'd much rather carry those little guys around than the QC15.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back