Headphones for Electronic music Dj/Production
Aug 5, 2003 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

cliffm

New Head-Fier
I'm needing to get some new headphones and have been leaning toward the HD600s for quite sometime. From reading the threads, I can see that they are either loved passionately or hated furiously. I plan on using them for laptop music production in conjunction with an Echo Indigo. Also, they would be my primary Dj headphones (which I am real picky about sound/fit). These headphones will get alot of hours. I primarily listen to trance and other electronic oriented music. Are the HD600s a good choice? How about the Grado SR325? Beyer DT880? or is there something else I should be looking at? I currently own a pair of ER4p earphones and love them.

Any advice would be apreciated
-Cliff

Aug 5, 2003 at 2:25 AM Post #2 of 23
Absolutely none of the above. They are all horrible choices for your intended use. I know the V700s are generally frowned upon, but they are basically the DJ standard. Pioneer also makes a pair of DJ phones. There is also the Sony MDR-V6, the Ultrasone HFI-650, Beyer DT250-80, Senn HD280, and probabaly a plethora of other that would better suit the job of studio monitor or DJ phones. Good luck.
-Mag

Aug 5, 2003 at 2:39 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Describe a bit more about "DJ/Production". Those two can mean quite different things.

I was thinking that after I posted. Depends on whether you are a studio DJ or a club DJ, etc.
-Mag

Aug 5, 2003 at 2:41 AM Post #5 of 23
Mainly I'm going to be using them to compose music on my laptop while using an Echo Indigo card (on the go) or MOTU 828 (at home/ in a studio recording a vocalist). I guess could always get a different pair for Djng and mixing records but I'm really not impressed with the average Dj headphones. Maybe I have been listening to my Etys too much.
etysmile.gif

I used to have a pair of sony v7000s (just like the 700s but with bigger ear cups) that I used, but my ex took them and never gave them back
mad.gif

Aug 5, 2003 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 23
As long as you don't need isolation, the DT880 is phenomenal for electronica - especially stuff like Hallucinogen/Shpongle/Infected Mushroom etc
smily_headphones1.gif

Wouldn't be any good for live mixing though.

Aug 5, 2003 at 3:32 AM Post #8 of 23
If you're wanting comfortable headphones that sound similar to a good nearfield studio monitor (Genelec, Mackie, Tannoy) then the HD600 is an excellent choice. They are an open-air design so you lose the isolation your Ety's give you. You wouldn't want to use them on a vocalist for recording because of leakage into the microphone. A closed design such as a Sony 7506 would be a better choice for that application or for live DJ work (assuming you don't care for the sound of the V700).

The HD600's need an amp to perform their best, so factor that into your budget if you go that route. The Senn's really excel at reproducing acoustic instruments and vocals. That's why I use them (actually HD580's) in my type of production work and for personal listening pleasure. For electronic music mixing, your needs might be met better with Grado 225/325's if you don't mind giving up a little comfort. Don't expect any phones to give you the accuracy and isolation of the Ety's though.

Aug 5, 2003 at 3:36 AM Post #9 of 23
Directly out of a soundcard the Sony MDR-V6 would be a good choice. I doubt any soundcard would have enough power to push high impedence phones like the Senns or Beyers you listed. And they isolate some too, unlike the cans you listed. So you could use them for both your purposes, likely.

Aug 5, 2003 at 4:02 AM Post #11 of 23
I produce electronic musics.. I use DT770's and 7509's. though i'll probably ditch the 7509's for a pair of ultrasone 650 trackmasters.

for actual DJíng though i wouldn't reccomend the 770s and i'm not sure about the 650's.. the 7509's might be usable but imo are a tad too bulky for that purpose.

Aug 5, 2003 at 4:39 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by cliffm
Mainly I'm going to be using them to compose music on my laptop while using an Echo Indigo card (on the go) or MOTU 828 (at home/ in a studio recording a vocalist). I guess could always get a different pair for Djng and mixing records but I'm really not impressed with the average Dj headphones. Maybe I have been listening to my Etys too much.
etysmile.gif

Please do consider a pair of closed cans. I do some hardcore digital audio work (mostly cleaning up/manually declicking vinyl recorded to digital) and at one point I bought a pair of Grado SR-60's, not really comprehending the difference between closed and open cans at that time. Bad mistake -- you don't want airyness, openness and sound leakage for that kind of work, and the "inside your head effect" is actually a desirable trait when concentrating on hearing tiny clicks and pops.

Anyway, I use the SR-60's for casual listening now and they're wonderful for that purpose (and my Denon cans [semi-closed/vented] are still nice as focusing on small nuances and details with a minimum of external noise distractions -- I listen to them casually too when I'm in the mood for a more detailed, analytical and forward sound).

Aug 5, 2003 at 6:00 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Snufkin
As long as you don't need isolation, the DT880 is phenomenal for electronica - especially stuff like Hallucinogen/Shpongle/Infected Mushroom etc
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree 100%

I've heard various Sony, Sennheiser, Grado and Beyer headphones, and for electronica the 880 beats them all one way or another, even beats 770 IMO.

Aug 5, 2003 at 6:07 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by cliffm
Whats a good set of closed headphones to use? How About the DT 831?

The 831 are too hard to drive. You need a pair of headphones designed for studio work with a low impedence so they can be drivin out of your soundcard. Those would be, Sony MDR-V6, Ultrasone HFI-650, Sennheiser HD280, Beyerdynamic DT250-80, and probabaly some others, those are the most popular.
-Mag

Users who are viewing this thread

Back