Headphones for Electronic music Dj/Production
Aug 5, 2003 at 6:15 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by cliffm
Just curious, what traits make them a bad choice for mixing?

Live mixing
wink.gif

Open headphones just don't suit live mixing in a noisy environment because they'd just let too much sound in. If you were using them for mixing at home they'd probably fine.

If it's for live mixing, the Ultrasone closed range is definately worth a look (and listen!).

Aug 5, 2003 at 7:55 AM Post #17 of 23
Any ideas of a place that would have a pair of Ultasones to listen to? I live in Los Angeles. I've never really had a problem with open cans before while mixing live. But I can see how it can get in the way of critical listening. I've tried the HD280 and they seem like a good choice. Does anyone know the difference between the HD280 and the HD280 pro?

Aug 5, 2003 at 11:48 AM Post #18 of 23
There are 2 types of HD280....

The HD280 Pro, which has an impedence of 64ohms
and
the HD280-13 which has an impedence of 300ohms.

i have the 280 pros and run them from my tosh laptop w/ yamaha sound card, and they run quite well (and loud too, but not too loud)

i would recommend them for the purposes for which you sound like you'd be using them. the HD280-13's would struggle due to the high impedence. the difference between them is only the impedence.

Aug 5, 2003 at 1:38 PM Post #19 of 23
I voted for "Other" (as many else did, it seems) For Circumaural DJ'ing/electronica etc. the HD250 II is probably what you want, and is far supperior to the DT250-80 (dunno about 250-250). The DT250-80 sounded like the DT231 Galactic I had before (lost them last year). The sound was decent for the price, but was a little lean on bass, but was very good in the treble, with just adequate amount of it - so no fatigue. The HD-250 feels more closed and analytical, but not at the tip of being fatigueing yet. The HD-25 is the supraaural alternative with the exact same sound, though the soundstage is smaller, though. Didn't know the DT880 was very upfront and analytical.. laidback-ness and veiling is the last thing needed in electronica/psycho-trance IMO
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2003 at 3:10 PM Post #20 of 23
Daroid, I dont really find the 880's analytical to be honest, they are very detailed though, but i tend not to analyse music when I listen to the 880's. No the reason I like them for electronica, is because they sound "right". The bass is fast, and punchy, never overblown, but I never feel like I am wanting for more. The midrange is lush, warm and forward, female vocals are outstanding, and theres a lot of female vocal trance out there. Nice highs, never tiring, and a huge soundstage gives a massive sound.

There is a common misconception that dance music doesnt need a midrange and that it needs just bass and treble, this is bollocks IMO.
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2003 at 1:51 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by pbirkett
Daroid, I dont really find the 880's analytical to be honest, they are very detailed though, but i tend not to analyse music when I listen to the 880's. No the reason I like them for electronica, is because they sound "right". The bass is fast, and punchy, never overblown, but I never feel like I am wanting for more. The midrange is lush, warm and forward, female vocals are outstanding, and theres a lot of female vocal trance out there. Nice highs, never tiring, and a huge soundstage gives a massive sound.

There is a common misconception that dance music doesnt need a midrange and that it needs just bass and treble, this is bollocks IMO.
biggrin.gif

Agreed - the DT880 detail is clear and precise without being distracting. Compared to the DT931 which is detailed to the point of extreme distraction.
Any electronica with heavy panning/phasing sounds just incredible on the DT880. On the other hand if the mix is a little 2D it sounds good, but that's where the DT770pro or HFI-650DVD tends to do better as they bring life to otherwise lifeless recordings (which means lively recordings can sound a little exaggerated).

urgh.. it's hard to describe
smily_headphones1.gif

If you have any Shpongle/Hallucinogen/Infected Mushroom, have a listen on your headphones then compare to something like.. Prana or .. I dunno, perhaps Astral Projection. You'll notice that the first 3 have a lot of heavy panning and sound quite complex (dizzying at times), while Prana and AP tend to be a little more .. linear? (for lack of a better word)
smily_headphones1.gif

Hopefully I'm making sense!

Aug 6, 2003 at 6:06 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Snufkin

urgh.. it's hard to describe
smily_headphones1.gif

If you have any Shpongle/Hallucinogen/Infected Mushroom, have a listen on your headphones then compare to something like.. Prana or .. I dunno, perhaps Astral Projection. You'll notice that the first 3 have a lot of heavy panning and sound quite complex (dizzying at times), while Prana and AP tend to be a little more .. linear? (for lack of a better word)
smily_headphones1.gif

Hopefully I'm making sense!

I know what you mean. I listen to all of those that you mention, and Shpongle/Hallucinogen/IM are incredible on the 880's, however AP isnt quite in the same league recording wise, and indeed, the 770's are quite good and forgiving of some poor recordings (but not all in my experience).

I also owned the 931, and I agree with your findings on that, this headphone was brighter and more forward, but I found it seriously fatiguing with not enough bass...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back