Headphones for electronic listening music..
May 10, 2007 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Autechresaint

New Head-Fier
I see a lot of talk on here about the best headphones to use for rock and orchestral music, but what about electronic music designed to be crisp and precise, from groups like Autechre, Mouse on Mars, Funkstorung, Cornelius, and obscure minimalistic glitche off Mille Plateau's label?

Does anyone on this forum listen to this type of music, and what headphones would you recommend, for under $300?

May 11, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #3 of 41
yeah, that's pretty good advice actually.

I think the Equation RP-21 would fit the bill too - a bit crisper and clearer than the DT-770 pro/80.

May 11, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 41
I listen to a lot of ambient and downtempo electronic music - Ryuichi Sakamoto and Alva Noto series, Helios, BOC, Marconi Union, Blamstrain, JFC, etc - and my DT990s are absolutely wonderful. A lot of this music digs really deep in the lower registers and the Beyers handles it with aplomb.

May 11, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #5 of 41
Mouse on Mars Idiology, and Radical Connector sound fantastic on my K501s. I also play guitar in an ambient/ improv/ electronic group, and can assure you that the K501s are very accurate to the actual performances/ recordings. But apparently that is not a desirable trait to many fans of so-called electronic music, as you will mostly read here that K501s are absolutely useless for electronic music. Only if you don't care what the original recordings/performances actually sound like!
wink.gif

Kerry M

May 11, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #6 of 41
Crisp, precise, and electronic music and nobody has mentioned the Sony MDR-SA5000s? I haven't heard those specific groups you mentioned, but the SA5000s have done me very well with regard to electronica (VERY detailed and precise!!). If you're looking for thumping headphone bass, however, the SA5000s aren't the way to go.

May 11, 2007 at 11:22 AM Post #10 of 41
So there you go, OP. 8 replies with more than 8 different suggestions. Clear as mud? Welcome to Head-Fi!
wink.gif

On a more serious note - Try and get yourself to a meet if you can and bring the music you listen to. That is your best bet where you'll be able to try a number of the headphones listed above. Next best thing is a stereo shop where you can bring a CD or your DAP and listen to a bunch of different cans. If there is a Guitar Center or some such near you, they carry a few of the above. Otherwise, start doing some searches and ask specific questions if you can't find the answers in previous posts and take your best shot. 2 of the 3 higher end cans I own or have owned I bought on the opinions I've read here. I have yet to be disappointed. You just have to do some homework.

Good luck!

May 11, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #11 of 41
DT770 / 990 will only work with very downtempo & nonvocal stuff.

To enter a 9th opinion: I originally preferred "beefy" midfi fons for electronica (such as AT A900, DT531, DT250). Got a bit away from the beef in favour of detail recently though. Azure's SA5000s or the MS2s meet the concerns of the latter approach.

May 11, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #12 of 41
I agree SA5Ks are the way to go for electronic music if you can afford them (and an amp) - they spank my HD650s for that genre actually. Bass may not be "thumping" but it's got real impact....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Crisp, precise, and electronic music and nobody has mentioned the Sony MDR-SA5000s? I haven't heard those specific groups you mentioned, but the SA5000s have done me very well with regard to electronica (VERY detailed and precise!!). If you're looking for thumping headphone bass, however, the SA5000s aren't the way to go.

May 11, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So there you go, OP. 8 replies with more than 8 different suggestions. Clear as mud? Welcome to Head-Fi!
wink.gif

Yes, there are lots of different cans which work well for electronic music. I have listened to and enjoyed Autechre in particular (per the OPs handle) on my HD650 and a variety of Grados. I owned the DT990 '05 briefly and could also get behind that can as a good recommendation for electronic music. The DT770/80 not so much, not enough midrange.

May 11, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #15 of 41
since techno often has more precision than other genre and often relies on electronic equipment solely - any headphone that can be detailed and balanced sounds good. i prefer the dt880 but other here probably will disagree with me. it is sharp up top, has pleasing firm bass and fast if the music picks up. it is also extremely comfortable for those days when you go for long sessions or evolve from techno to trance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back