Headphones for electronic listening music..
May 11, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #17 of 41
add one more to the confusion hd595s are great for my alarm will sound and aphex twin plus all the industrial. just enough bass, not too much, not too little. upfront enough not to be boring but they have enough of a soundstage to be atmospheric. Actually, only badly recorded rock is the only stuff i dont like with my 595s

May 11, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by upangel180 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second the dt990 vote. Track down a pair of the 2005 model and amp up.

Well, the 2005 model or a really old pair with black plastic grilles that have got cream-colored fabric lining them + new pads.

a k145 is great too, but good luck finding them, and then you'll need an amp the gain set to about 22.

May 11, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #19 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Electrostats all the way for me. I find the HE60/ESP950/4070 all most excellent with it.

I think you may have misread two or three extra zeros in the OP - he said less than $300, not $30000.

To the OP - good luck sorting through all those recommendations
tongue.gif
You might have better luck if you specified exactly what kind of sound you prefer. Strong bass, lots of treble, big soundstage, etc.

May 11, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #20 of 41
Well, if it's accuracy you need, then your safest bet is to go planar.

Don't need to be portable? find your self a Stax SR-X MK3 and an SRD-7.

May 11, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beyerdynamics DT250-80

I agree with this for crisp and precise - stuff like Aphex Twin and Autechre sound very good. I don't have any bassy electronic music so I don't know about that.

May 11, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #22 of 41
Good grief that's a lot of different answers. This is why I don't go audio shopping that often, so many different variables and nuances.
smily_headphones1.gif

Warrior05, thanks for the suggestion to visit Guitar Center. I plan on doing that this weekend, cd of music in hand. If anyone lives in Austin or in Texas, let me know when the next meet is.

May 11, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #24 of 41
too much veil
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #25 of 41
Question, how many of you end up buying different pairs of headphones for different styles of music?

Is it unreasonable of me to expect to find one nice pair of headphones to be good for both bass and crisp/precise sound?

May 11, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #26 of 41
Most of "us" end up with a steadily changing variety of fons for each genre & mood. Great fun, but totally
crazy.gif

Of course, it's possible to stay just with one pair -I bet most do so- but this sort of utilization mostly takes place outside this nerd forum and consequently doesn't play a role here.

May 11, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #27 of 41
No, it's not unreasonable of you to ask that.

I ended up with this many different pairs because of an exploratory frame of mind and disposable income.

It all boils down to what works with where and when you want to listen to your music, and what sound signature you prefer.

In the realm of Really Good Headphones, there are only a few models that are terrible for some particular kind of music. Most of them are great for several and good for some.

May 11, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course, it's possible to stay just with one pair...

Blasphemy!!!!! Not to mention totally untrue! Uh... okay... maybe... with therapy. I just can't fathom this. One pair of...? Nah! Impossible! Really? No... you're joking right? Egads! The mere thought just... no no... I refuse to even entertain this ridiculous notion!
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 11, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blasphemy!!!!! Not to mention totally untrue! Uh... okay... maybe... with therapy. I just can't fathom this. One pair of...? Nah! Impossible! Really? No... you're joking right? Egads! The mere thought just... no no... I refuse to even entertain this ridiculous notion!
very_evil_smiley.gif

now that's funny...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back