Headphones For Drum Reproduction (Advice/Suggestions Wanted)
Jan 7, 2013 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ToddTheMetalGod

500+ Head-Fier
I've decided that it's about time I upgrade my portable audio setup and make it a much better listening experience since this is where most of my listening takes place. I would appreciate it if somebody could recommend me a headphone with good bass and treble extension that would provide accurate drum reproduction, particularly for metal (sludge, death metal, progressive metal, melodic metal, power metal, etc.). I currently own a pair of Grado SR325is which I love for guitar-based genres, but I've been expanding my interest in metal lately and feel that adding realism to drumming would be a great focus for my portable setup. So sound stage, imaging, tight bass, and sharp treble are qualities I am looking for. I've decided that I'll use Rockbox with FLAC audio files on my iPod through a line-out-dock to a Fiio E11 since that amp is relatively cheap ($65) at a local store. Any suggestions on a headphone that would work well for what I am looking for? Preferably a headphone with a decent mid-range so I won't feel so out of place opposed to my Grado's. Thanks for the read. I like headphones such as the Sennheiser HD650 if this significant, so I'm not opposed to a laid-back, dark sound if it has good detail.

Jan 8, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 12
Heya,

Look into:

AKG Q701
AKG K240 MKII
AKG K167
AKG K550
Ultrasone HFI 780
Ultrasone HFI 2400
Beyer DT880 PRO
Hifiman HE-300
Hifiman HE-400
AudioTechnica A900X

I've used them all from a Fiio E11 and they sound/work great with it.

Ideally based on what you described, the HE400 would be ideal. After that, maybe the DT880, A900X and K167.

Very best,

Jan 8, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
Heya,

Look into:

AKG Q701
AKG K240 MKII
AKG K167
AKG K550
Ultrasone HFI 780
Ultrasone HFI 2400
Beyer DT880 PRO
Hifiman HE-300
Hifiman HE-400
AudioTechnica A900X

Ideally based on what you described, the HE400 would be ideal. After that, maybe the DT880, A900X and K167.

Very best,

As a drummer I find most of my collection can handles drums well. Drums are one of those few instruments that translate pretty universally regardless of the equipment. Live drums are not nearly as wonderful as recorded drums because much of what they are doing is lost in echo and funny little things like sympathetic vibration that you can mix out of a recording but live it's just not that great.

The single biggest thing that your cans are going to bring to the party for drum clarity is their attack. When that drum hits, you want your drivers to be fast in response with no slop.

Now if you're talking about listening to drums in a production song, can't help you there, the production process kills all semblence of dynamic range and uniqueness. Unless you're talking binaural jazz sessions, but you're talking metal and half the time they don't even record the drum itself, just the trigger.

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
beyer dt770M is specifically made for drummers =)

So are Vic Firth over the ears but that doesn't make them good. In fact they are like going back in time to the 70's when headphones were huge, ugly, and generally sounded like a tin can being beat on with a hammer. At least they double as hearing protection when you're jamming......

I usually drum with my Grado SR60's. They let enough of the sound of what I'm doing come in so that I don't have to hammer my drums like Thor on a bad day to be heard over the music I'm listening to on the headphones. If I do want to drum like a pissed off deity slamming animal skins with huge dinosaur bones that split the earth with their sound, then I use in ears for their excellent isolation to protect my hearing from myself while enjoying the feel of pounding out a full concert volume drumbeat.

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
beyer dt770M is specifically made for drummers =)

I've actually been looking into Beyerdynamic lately since I want something with more bass to contrast my pair of Grado. They're also closed back which is a bonus for portability. How's the sound signature on that pair?

So are Vic Firth over the ears but that doesn't make them good. In fact they are like going back in time to the 70's when headphones were huge, ugly, and generally sounded like a tin can being beat on with a hammer. At least they double as hearing protection when you're jamming......

I usually drum with my Grado SR60's. They let enough of the sound of what I'm doing come in so that I don't have to hammer my drums like Thor on a bad day to be heard over the music I'm listening to on the headphones. If I do want to drum like a pissed off deity slamming animal skins with huge dinosaur bones that split the earth with their sound, then I use in ears for their excellent isolation to protect my hearing from myself while enjoying the feel of pounding out a full concert volume drumbeat.

I don't mean that I will be drumming with the headphones on, but I just want a headphone that can accurately produce drumming. I know that sounds silly since most headphones can make drumming sound good as it is, but I want a headphone that can make metal and punk genres sound great.
Quote:
Heya,

Look into:

AKG Q701
AKG K240 MKII
AKG K167
AKG K550
Ultrasone HFI 780
Ultrasone HFI 2400
Beyer DT880 PRO
Hifiman HE-300
Hifiman HE-400
AudioTechnica A900X

Very best,

Thanks for the suggestions. I forgot to mention that I would prefer a closed back, just to be safe outdoors and so I can walk in the rain/snow if necessary. But I've actually been looking at the HE-400 and am considering getting it for my at home setup eventually. The AKG Q701 looks like a good option though, I'll see if I can get my hands on a pair of AKG to hear their sound signature. I would consider the Audio Technica but I didn't particularly enjoy my ATH-M50 all that much, there wasn't even bass to sacrifice the mid-range for in my opinion. I ended up opening the backs of headphone which made a tremendous improvement. But as I was removing the rest of the foam I damaged the clips to hold the drivers in the housing and I figured it wasn't worth the work to fix them and I might as well find a replacement for my portable rig. I'm thinking a Beyer might be the way to go because I assume AKG sound similar to Grado but much more neutral and with a wider soundstage/better imaging?

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
I've actually been looking into Beyerdynamic lately since I want something with more bass to contrast my pair of Grado. They're also closed back which is a bonus for portability. How's the sound signature on that pair?

I don't mean that I will be drumming with the headphones on, but I just want a headphone that can accurately produce drumming. I know that sounds silly since most headphones can make drumming sound good as it is, but I want a headphone that can make metal and punk genres sound great.
Thanks for the suggestions. I forgot to mention that I would prefer a closed back, just to be safe outdoors and so I can walk in the rain/snow if necessary. But I've actually been looking at the HE-400 and am considering getting it for my at home setup eventually. The AKG Q701 looks like a good option though, I'll see if I can get my hands on a pair of AKG to hear their sound signature. I would consider the Audio Technica but I didn't particularly enjoy my ATH-M50 all that much, there wasn't even bass to sacrifice the mid-range for in my opinion. I ended up opening the backs of headphone which made a tremendous improvement. But as I was removing the rest of the foam I damaged the clips to hold the drivers in the housing and I figured it wasn't worth the work to fix them and I might as well find a replacement for my portable rig. I'm thinking a Beyer might be the way to go because I assume AKG sound similar to Grado but much more neutral and with a wider soundstage/better imaging?

Q701 is fully open back and not portable at all because of it's power requirements. I don't think it would fit your needs.

He HE400's Ive heard are good but I have no experience with them. I have DT880's by Beyerdynamic and I can attest to the companies quality, it's got a well deserved image but while they are known for deep bass extension, they are definitely not bass heavy. I've heard that the 770's are much more bass heavy so they might meet your needs. Beyerdynamic also just released a new headphone called the custom pro which is close backed and has adjustable open/closed ports that raise and lower the bass. It's a true transformer both in look and in sound.

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Heya,

The DT770 and Custom One Pro would be great for your needs based on what you said. I really enjoy the new COP actually. Great for home and portable.

The Grado sounds a lot more like what Ultrasone sounds like to me. AKG sounds nothing like Grado to me. Just a heads up. For example, the Ultrasone HFI 780 or PRO 750 would be my suggestion for someone wanting to stick to a sound more like Grado.

Very best,

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #10 of 12
Yeah I think that the Custom One Pro seems like a good option. I've always wondered how it changed the sound signature but it's because you can use a slider to open or close the back. I like the customization options such as the replaceable pads, cables, and covers. I've actually been looking for something to contrast my Grado's because I don't feel that my portable audio setup is unique or worth listening to if it has the a very similar sound signature to my home setup. How much does the slider affect the sound signature? I don't want the sound to be overly bass heavy as too recess the mids a lot. Is it true that the mids are more recessed on the COP than the ATH-M50 because I thought they lacked in vocals and guitar? I'm also okay with semi-open headphones as long as they're not likely to get moisture into the air chamber. Thanks again for the help, by the way.

Edit: From what I've found by reading reviews, the DT770 has a much cleaner sound with more clarity in the mids and sound stage than the Custom One Pro. Since I can get the DT770 for around the same price I think they are the winner out of the two.

Jan 9, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
Yeah I think that the Custom One Pro seems like a good option. I've always wondered how it changed the sound signature but it's because you can use a slider to open or close the back. I like the customization options such as the replaceable pads, cables, and covers. I've actually been looking for something to contrast my Grado's because I don't feel that my portable audio setup is unique or worth listening to if it has the a very similar sound signature to my home setup. How much does the slider affect the sound signature? I don't want the sound to be overly bass heavy as too recess the mids a lot. Is it true that the mids are more recessed on the COP than the ATH-M50 because I thought they lacked in vocals and guitar? I'm also okay with semi-open headphones as long as they're not likely to get moisture into the air chamber. Thanks again for the help, by the way.

Edit: From what I've found by reading reviews, the DT770 has a much cleaner sound with more clarity in the mids and sound stage than the Custom One Pro. Since I can get the DT770 for around the same price I think they are the winner out of the two.

Another reviewer described the COP's thusly

closed - best isolation but bass sometimes strains to be set free. Bass is subdued but tight
1 - attenuated bass slightly, mids open up, they start to come alive but they don't insulate from outside sound quite as much
1.5 - he slid it open halfway and got it to stick there. Perfection. Flat bass response with a lot of life, well defined mids, sound stage opens up,
2 - bass begins to become pronounced and begins loosing it's tightness becoming looser. Mid's don't change much
3 - bass becomes a little boomy and very accentuated overshadowing the mids and highs which take on a dark or veiled quality.

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
Another reviewer described the COP's thusly

closed - best isolation but bass sometimes strains to be set free. Bass is subdued but tight
1 - attenuated bass slightly, mids open up, they start to come alive but they don't insulate from outside sound quite as much
1.5 - he slid it open halfway and got it to stick there. Perfection. Flat bass response with a lot of life, well defined mids, sound stage opens up,
2 - bass begins to become pronounced and begins loosing it's tightness becoming looser. Mid's don't change much
3 - bass becomes a little boomy and very accentuated overshadowing the mids and highs which take on a dark or veiled quality.

Thanks for letting me know that, maybe I will get the Custom One Pro and just leave the slider half way open. It must be better than the DT770 since it is a similar but higher priced model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back