Headphones for classical?
Feb 19, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #16 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know how to use search? I mean all those phones been discussed to death and with the music you listed...

No, how does search work? See my OP.

Feb 19, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #17 of 55
He should stretch for a secondhand basic stax system. Those SRD7 + SRX's are almost going for free nowadays. Fantastic headphone.

Feb 19, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #18 of 55
$100 or less is a tough call, especially for classical. If you could increase your budget, however, there are some excellent options.

The first you should consider is the AKG K-501. It's one of the finest classical headphones available at any price. You can find them used (they're discontinued) between $100-$150. Pick them up if you can - you have to spend a lot more to better it. Also, don't bother with the K-701. It sounds unnatural and plasticky, while the K-501 doesn't. The K-501 costs half as much, too.

Another excellent headphone you can find affordably used is the Beyerdynamic DT48. I've paid between $60-$100 for used pairs, but used prices are running $100-$150 since they've gotten some attention here. The DT48 doesn't have the soundstage of a K-501, but it is incredibly accurate tonally, is fast, clean, and one of the most revealing headphones on the market at any price. The DT48 has some history, too. It was the first stereo headphone and was developed in 1937. It went into production in 1951 and has been in production since. There's a good reason for that, too.

Another great headphone is the Sennheiser HD-600. You'll find plenty written about it here, so I won't repeat its praises. You can find them used for $200-$225.

I know these are slightly above your budget, but all three would make you happy. If you have some spare DVDs, video games, etc. lying around, I'd recommend selling them to make up the difference for one of these.

Feb 19, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #19 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$100 or less is a tough call, especially for classical. If you could increase your budget, however, there are some excellent options.

The first you should consider is the AKG K-501. It's one of the finest classical headphones available at any price. You can find them used (they're discontinued) between $100-$150. Pick them up if you can - you have to spend a lot more to better it. Also, don't bother with the K-701. It sounds unnatural and plasticky, while the K-501 doesn't. The K-501 costs half as much, too.

Another excellent headphone you can find affordably used is the Beyerdynamic DT48. I've paid between $60-$100 for used pairs, but used prices are running $100-$150 since they've gotten some attention here. The DT48 doesn't have the soundstage of a K-501, but it is incredibly accurate tonally, is fast, clean, and one of the most revealing headphones on the market at any price. The DT48 has some history, too. It was the first stereo headphone and was developed in 1937. It went into production in 1951 and has been in production since. There's a good reason for that, too.

Another great headphone is the Sennheiser HD-600. You'll find plenty written about it here, so I won't repeat its praises. You can find them used for $200-$225.

I know these are slightly above your budget, but all three would make you happy. If you have some spare DVDs, video games, etc. lying around, I'd recommend selling them to make up the difference for one of these.

Great advice. Thanks for the informative post. I'll see if I can hunt down a set of K501's.

Feb 19, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #20 of 55
Yup 501's are a good choice too.

Feb 19, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #21 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know how to use search? I mean all those phones been discussed to death and with the music you listed...

Actually, I've been searching these forums up and down for a week with a very similar question, but I haven't seen a detailed-enough review to answer my questions about lower-cost headphones for classical. I don't know, maybe I'm search-engine-challenged, too!
deadhorse.gif

My point being, even if the op had done a search, I wouldn't blame him for posting this.

Which now leads to my question--which I will hope will help the op out too.
smily_headphones1.gif

I see a lot of talk about staging and clarity, and Bass and Treble, particularly when looking at what people say about the Audio-Technica AD700--which hasn't shown up here yet. What I'm not able to gather is how the tonality in the midrange sounds.Some examples of how specific instruments sound would be very helpful. Can you hear the wood in the body of the violin or guitar, for example? When somebody says a headphone sounds "accurate" tonally I wonder to myself, "yes, but does the piano actually sound like a piano?"

Soundstage and accuracy are important, but tonality across the board is critical as well. Not enough warmth, and acoustic instruments sound lifeless. Too much, and they sound colored. Any thoughts about the AD700 and the other headphones listed here in this regard?

Feb 19, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #22 of 55
I would definetaly go for the AKG K701 for classical.
Vey neutral and detailed headphone that gives you the perfect idea of what an instrument sounds like.

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #24 of 55
The K500 and the K501 are not only tonally accurate, but incredibly detailed. With proper amping of course. You can hear the wood in the body of a violin and a piano sounds like a piano. One of the CDs I always use to test whether I like a pair of headphones (or speakers) is the 1981 recording of the Goldberg Variations by Bach played by Glenn Gould. Obviously, you've got your piano there, but you also have Gould humming along. If his humming (which is almost a countermelody to the piece he is playing) is not only audible but also 'intelligible' I'd almost say and musical, the headphones are to my liking. If his humming is absent, the headphones are truly bad and if it is muted or distorted, they're not detailed and not clear enough. Needless to say the K500 and K501 do very well with Gould's humming. You want to hum along.

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K-702 are great for acoustic music...

Price range man...

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #27 of 55
I've used my Grado SR-60 for virtually everything, until I upgraded. You can't go wrong for 70 bucks. For classical, I now use my AKG 271s (good deals for it is you look and for the newer versions). But with your budget, get the Grado 60's and call it a day. The 80's are okay too. Maybe a pair of AKG 301's might be intersting. These are also in your price range. I like my pair. And I got mine used on Ebay for 29 bucks before shipping.

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #29 of 55
I know you are looking for an open can, but if you do not mind a closed one, you may consider a used AKG 271S and I believe you can get them for around the price you are looking for.

This pair isn't mentioned much here and I bought them after they were were recommended to me by a good friend of mine, who is a professional recording engineer specializing in recording live classical concerts. They use it for monitoring.

So far I've been very happy with them. Excellent for classical but is a little hard to drive. Its also very unforgiving with regards to the source material used. I listen mostly to classical, uncompressed, due to my work and they've served me well.

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #30 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by fiddle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know you are looking for an open can, but if you do not mind a closed one, you may consider a used AKG 271S and I believe you can get them for around the price you are looking for.

This pair isn't mentioned much here and I bought them after they were were recommended to me by a good friend of mine, who is a professional recording engineer specializing in recording live classical concerts. They use it for monitoring.

So far I've been very happy with them. Excellent for classical but is a little hard to drive. Its also very unforgiving with regards to the source material used. I listen mostly to classical, uncompressed, due to my work and they've served me well.

Hi Fiddle,

Interesting recommendation. This is the second time I have seen AKG271 specifically mentioned and praised in relation to acoustic / classical music. You are right - they are not mentioned much here, but then again I don't think a terribly large section of head-fiers both listen to classical music and have a definitive source of reference as to what it truly sounds like in real life so to speak.

As I do not want to side track this thread, please check your PM if you could.

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back