Headphones for classical?
Feb 20, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #31 of 55
For $100, I'd go with the AD700. The wide stage works nicely for getting lost in the music. They're not bassy phones, however, so if you're a fan of a heavy low end, you might want to look into closed phones. I also enjoyed my HD555 with classical music when I had them. They had slightly more bass and a more intimate presentation due to the smaller stage. I was willing to trade the bass for stage and field, however, and kept the AD700.

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #32 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...One of the CDs I always use to test whether I like a pair of headphones (or speakers) is the 1981 recording of the Goldberg Variations by Bach played by Glenn Gould....

That's what I'm talking about!
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for the insights, REB. Always nice to have a reference recording to have some context.

Teehee--My wife has a recording of Glen Gould playing the complete Bach Partitas, Preludes, Fugues, and Fughettas. Now I'm going to have to have a listen and see if he was humming during those recordings.
wink_face.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #33 of 55
I think the semi closed AKG headphones are OK for classical as well. I tend to play my library on shuffle so if I'm listening to Sextetts and classical comes on, I don't always change headphones. And they sound pretty good. I prefer more open headphones for classical, but the K240 family is fine.

Of the headphones in the OPs list, I'd choose the HD485 which are a step down from the HD580 with a little more bass and less detail. They're easy to drive and as comfortable as any headphone I've ever owned. They're a compromise, but for sub $100, you have to compromise.

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #34 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by ms960 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, so I'll toss the Grado's out as they don't work with the music I listen to. For those under $100, are the HD555 or HD485 the two best open phones on the market?

The cans that are good for classic exceeds your budget. 880/701/501/48/600

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #35 of 55
Why is it that the TS states that his budget is $100, yet phones that are obviously out of his budget keeps popping out? I think for <$100 either the HD555 or AD700 will be your best option, personally I will go for the AD700.

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #36 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaubertuba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I'm talking about!
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for the insights, REB. Always nice to have a reference recording to have some context.

Teehee--My wife has a recording of Glen Gould playing the complete Bach Partitas, Preludes, Fugues, and Fughettas. Now I'm going to have to have a listen and see if he was humming during those recordings.
wink_face.gif

Let me know if he does!
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #37 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me know if he does!
tongue_smile.gif

I also checked this recording with A900 and K340. It seems that A900 was picking those humming better that K340, which is quite suprising for me.
Sunday I'll be able to check how Philips sbc-hp1000 handles this test. Have to say that humming sounds quite scary to me
tongue.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #38 of 55
That surprises me as well, but then the A900 is quite detailed. And the humming can be somewhat intimidating, I agree...

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #39 of 55
<$100,classical music.....AKG 240. Yoyo Ma will be sitting in the room with you.

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #40 of 55
Since the k500 & K501's are discontinued, is there a comparable set of phones that are still on the market? I've heard a lot of great recommendations and I do appreciate the input, so I've got a little homework to do so I can sort this out. Again, thanks!

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #41 of 55
Quote:

Oh- he hums alright.

I'm still waiting on my first real headphones to come via UPS, but I can hear all-kinds of humming through my studio monitors. The funny thing is, when I first got the recording I wasn't aware of his propensity to hum. I spent a good 30 minutes wondering what on earth that humming noise was. It does sound kind of creepy. However, the humming is not nearly as pronounced as his Goldberg Variation and WTC recordings.

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #42 of 55
Quote:

Since the k500 & K501's are discontinued, is there a comparable set of phones that are still on the market? I've heard a lot of great recommendations and I do appreciate the input, so I've got a little homework to do so I can sort this out. Again, thanks!

Would you be listening complex classical or more simple pieces? Are you looking for warmth, musicality, precision, prat, weight of sound, soundstage => what is your thing in hifi? One concern is also how loud you would like to listen your music.

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #43 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by esuko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you be listening complex classical or more simple pieces? Are you looking for warmth, musicality, precision, prat, weight of sound, soundstage => what is your thing in hifi? One concern is also how loud you would like to listen your music.

Good questions. Symphonic pieces mostly, so that would probably come closer to complex rather than simpler pieces. I'm looking for clarity/crispness, soundstage, and warmth, mostly in that order. These phones are going to be for work, so not terribly loud. My interest in open phones is because I am going to be using these at work -- I don't want to totally seperate myself from my work environment. Sound bleeding through open phones isn't a concern.

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #44 of 55
Have you checked Audio Technica ATH-AD700? Warmth you are not going to get with these, hope that is an acceptable compromise? Before mentioned AKG K240 is not bad either. These two are just barely under 100$

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #45 of 55
Quote:

Good questions. Symphonic pieces mostly, so that would probably come closer to complex rather than simpler pieces. I'm looking for clarity/crispness, soundstage, and warmth, mostly in that order. These phones are going to be for work, so not terribly loud. My interest in open phones is because I am going to be using these at work -- I don't want to totally seperate myself from my work environment. Sound bleeding through open phones isn't a concern.

Sounds like a job for the Beyerdynamic DT990-2005. Your crispness, soundstage and warmth are all there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back