Headphones for Classical music
Jan 20, 2014 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 103

qkrzazzang

New Head-Fier
Hi guys. Currently I own IE80 earphones from Sennheiser. The sound quality is amazing. However, I also want to get myself a headphones for home usage, and also for my computer sound card Essence STX. What could you recommend? Budget is $500 max.

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #2 of 103
  Hi guys. Currently I own IE80 earphones from Sennheiser. The sound quality is amazing. However, I also want to get myself a headphones for home usage, and also for my computer sound card Essence STX. What could you recommend? Budget is $500 max.

Get a Beyer DT 880 250ohm and a Schiit Vali, feed the Vali from your Sound Cards analog out 

and then pocket the rest :3

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #5 of 103
  Is it better than dt990?

depends on your taste, I like the DT 990 more for classical and the Pro 250 Ohm model is 
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-990-Pro-250-Professional-Acoustically-Applications/dp/B0011UB9CQ
$145 on amazon RIGHT NOW, thgouh the DT 990 is a little more fun than the dt 880, meaning the 990 has a touch more Highs and Bass, the Schiit Vali REALLY does a nice job of balancing the headphone out!

But PURELY for classical the DT 990 is one of my favorites, how ever on the off chance you want to listen to a Classical Duet, say... Piano and Cello, then DT 880 might handle that better due to a smidge less bass. But, that "fun" sound of the DT 990, or the extra bass and highs, is nice for classical! Makes the crenshendo's really ATTACK, the extra energy in the high notes and heft of the bass is super nice, and yes the mids on the dt 990 are wonderful too! I found them to be very delicate, just the sound of the dt 990 really fits the mood of classical for me, the drastic change in pace, the shift from quiet to LOUD, gentle and delicate to POWERFUL AND SWEEPING. Both the DT 880 and 990 are good for classical

how ever if you happen to like jazz and classical, then the DT 880 is the way to go, as imo the DT 990 had to much bass for Jazz 

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #6 of 103
You also might want to check out both the Sennheiser HD 600 and HD 650. For classical, I would probably say the HD 600, plus it's cheaper than the 650.

+1 for HD650 or HD600 :) I had beyer DT series, 990 and 880, the sound stage is much smaller than Senns, and to me beyer had earpiercing trebles.

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #7 of 103

You also might want to check out both the Sennheiser HD 600 and HD 650. For classical, I would probably say the HD 600, plus it's cheaper than the 650.

+1 for HD650 or HD600
smily_headphones1.gif
I had beyer DT series, 990 and 880, the sound stage is much smaller than Senns, and to me beyer had earpiercing trebles.

grr one from the DARK side... well to each his own I've not heard a Senn yet, I might get a chance to this April. I'm never been a fan of how they look though :/ 

but if your not a fan of BRIGHT headphones, then yea Beyer might turn you off :3 and as far as sound stage goes, smaller is a vauge descriptor :3. But until I've heard a Senn I can't go to battle yet xD

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #8 of 103
+1 for the Beyer dt880s. These are phenomenal headphones for classical. It is my favorite genre with them. They make most classical sound very lifelike.

I feel like the 650 sennheisers would not be a good choice given the "veil" that they have over the sound. Whether or not this veil is pleasing for rock music is up to individual tastes, but for classical I can't see how they would be a good fit at all.

Go with the 880's and you will be very pleased.

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #9 of 103
+1 for the Beyer dt880s. These are phenomenal headphones for classical. It is my favorite genre with them. They make most classical sound very lifelike.

I feel like the 650 sennheisers would not be a good choice given the "veil" that they have over the sound. Whether or not this veil is pleasing for rock music is up to individual tastes, but for classical I can't see how they would be a good fit at all.

Go with the 880's and you will be very pleased.

I agree the DT 880s [and 990s for that matter] give a life like presentation to most all Music

still... have you heard a Senn before? I too am scared off by the Veil I keep hearing about, the Veil and the Senns "glorious Mids" which is mostly like the headphone having a touch of extta decay in the mids, a smidge to much decay would make almost a veil over your music, and give the mids a euphoric sound

that said

GO WITH BEYERS, they are cheaper and more comfortable! 

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #10 of 103
  depends on your taste, I like the DT 990 more for classical and the Pro 250 Ohm model is 
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-990-Pro-250-Professional-Acoustically-Applications/dp/B0011UB9CQ
$145 on amazon RIGHT NOW, thgouh the DT 990 is a little more fun than the dt 880, meaning the 990 has a touch more Highs and Bass, the Schiit Vali REALLY does a nice job of balancing the headphone out!

But PURELY for classical the DT 990 is one of my favorites, how ever on the off chance you want to listen to a Classical Duet, say... Piano and Cello, then DT 880 might handle that better due to a smidge less bass. But, that "fun" sound of the DT 990, or the extra bass and highs, is nice for classical! Makes the crenshendo's really ATTACK, the extra energy in the high notes and heft of the bass is super nice, and yes the mids on the dt 990 are wonderful too! I found them to be very delicate, just the sound of the dt 990 really fits the mood of classical for me, the drastic change in pace, the shift from quiet to LOUD, gentle and delicate to POWERFUL AND SWEEPING. Both the DT 880 and 990 are good for classical

how ever if you happen to like jazz and classical, then the DT 880 is the way to go, as imo the DT 990 had to much bass for Jazz 

Thank you for sharing.
 For my listening taste:

- Very rich sound ( especially bass)
- NO dry sound (live acoustic)
- Between Bright and Dark sounding, but a bit more towards dark.

Should I go with 990?

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #11 of 103
My listening taste relies on three of these:

-Very rich sound (especially bass, but still overall)

- No dry sound (live acoustic)

-Between Bright and dark sound (but a little more towards dark).

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #12 of 103
1) HD600  2) DT880  based on my preference/taste, but you should try both to find which one is better based on your taste. I don't recommend the HD650 and DT990 for the classical. 

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #13 of 103
  My listening taste relies on three of these:

You might like teh Senns then, I prefer a drier sound my self. the Beyers are not going to be as rich and smoother as the Senns

In terms of Food, think of the Beyer as a Leaner Cut of Meat, and the Senn as one with more Marbleing. Both are good, both in this case are USDA Prime cut's of beef, just different flavors and preferances.

You might enjoy the Richer Senn, heck if you really want a very RICH sound get a Schiit Vali and a Senn HD 600, heard a lot of positives about that combo! 

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #14 of 103
I have the Sennheiser 580 with the 600 grills and some old Beyer 990. The 990 will definitely give you more detail.

I also just got a used AKG K501, which is very good for classical music. A little leaner then the HD580 and loads more detail.

Jan 20, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #15 of 103
Thanks for sharing guys. What is the actual difference between 600 and 650?

Again, this is my listening consideration..

Also, I came across HD800, which is $1500, but is it worth the money? And would it work with STX sound card?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back