Headphones for classical in sub-$50 range?
Feb 26, 2014 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

U6astik

100+ Head-Fier
Hello to everybody!

I would like to ask you is there any pair of good headphones on the market that cost $50 or less?

Needs:

1. Classical. Only.
  2. Home use only. No noise cancellation is required.
  3. Over-the-ear
  4. Preferably new, as I am living in UK. (Shipping)
  5. Should be better than my current Panasonic RP-HT711.
  6. $50 or less (could be $60, but no more!)
  7. I think that I would appreciate more the open-back ones (but, I cannot judge - didn't have a lot of headphones to say so)
  8. Will drive it with FiiO E7 (150mW@16 and 16mW@300Ohm) or directly from Onkyo C-7030 headphone's jack

I prefer dark-sounding to the bright-sounding ones.
I remember buying Senn HD419, loving them for their bass and sensitivity, but hating for the sibilances. They ended up on the shelf - I started to notice my hearing went down. They are both closed and have an awful peak at 1,5 - 3kHz I would say, so I don't know what affected my hearing. But I become suspicious towards all closed-back headphones.

I cannot test the cans, so I rely only on your advices.

My sympathies are with Audio Technica (don't know why!), especially with ATH-TAD400 - 35 Ohms, 93dB/mW (BTW, what are the differences between TAD400 and TAD300?)

I assumed the voltage output of E7 to be linear (from the given two parameters), so the output at 50Ohm will be 53mW, which will give 17dB of gain and result in 110dB at max volume (which is quite decent)

If this thread is truthful (doesn't mention the classical music though), the TAD400 is a steal for its price, or I am just trying to convince myself here? :)

I would be very grateful if you could help me.

Kindest regards,
U6astik

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 40
The easiest fix is KSC75 clip ons (with or without the Parts Express headband mod). It sometimes breaks though, but it's so cheap that might not matter.

Other than that, maybe you can find a used SRH440, which I haven't heard, but I trust that brand.

I have read good things about:

Tascam TH02 (http://www.head-fi.org/t/654946/tascam-th-02-headphones-waiting-to-be-discovered-now-appreciation-thread)

Takstar HI2050 (http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-greathon-thread)

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 40
Claritas,

Sorry, forgot to mention - I am interested only in over-the-ear's.

Shure - have never heard of them (I mean anything good). Are they good at classics?
Same for Tascam and Takstar - have you experienced them?

Taskcam seems to have very decent LF if take FR graphs from your link for granted. Haven't found any info regarding classical music.
Takstar - same issue.

Do you have experience with Audio Tehnica?

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 40
  Shure - have never heard of them (I mean anything good). Are they good at classics?
Same for Tascam and Takstar - have you experienced them?

Taskcam seems to have very decent LF if take FR graphs from your link for granted. Haven't found any info regarding classical music.
Takstar - same issue.

Do you have experience with Audio Technica?

It's the next model down from SRH840 which is pretty good at everything including classical. I've been impressed with Shure's other products too. SRH840 is V-shaped, but the reliable reviews of SRH440 indicate that it's either neutral or maybe a little bright. Sounds to me like what people look for in a classical headphone. So look around for a used pair (from a reputable seller).

I haven't heard the Takstar or Tascam. That's why I wrote that "I have read good things about" them. Specifically, I was struck by that FR chart you saw of the Tascam.

Audio Technicas are varied. You have bassy models such as M50 and presumably M35, and more classical oriented models such as AD900, and then there are all those woodies which are hard to tell apart. I haven't heard the particular model you posted about, but AT is a respectable firm. Nevertheless, I wouldn't buy it based on that one thread.

I understand that it's a hard choice. Be patient. Ask questions on the Tascam and Takstar threads about how they sound with classical. If someone answers, look at their profile to see if they listen to classical, have experience with better models, post on the classical records thread, &c. so you know whether to believe them -- and please let me know what you find out.

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 40
[b]Claritas[/b],

Thank you. I will look into these three models more in depth.
Probably, I won't be able to afford a pair of used SRH440, as it is too expensive to ship headphones from US to UK. Here in UK used Shure's are as expensive new ones.

[b]L0SLobos[/b],

...why?

They have a volume control - that's, if I am not mistaken, a significant reduction in sound quality.
Again, they are closed-back. Is there any FR for them, any comments? What about their compatibility with classical content?

Any more thoughts?

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #7 of 40
These babies:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_2/sennheiser-hd-590-headphones-5-2000.html

If you can find them second hand.

If you had accepted on-ear grado would have been the obvious choice.

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #8 of 40
  These babies:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_2/sennheiser-hd-590-headphones-5-2000.html

If you can find them second hand.

If you had accepted on-ear grado would have been the obvious choice.

TwoEars,

But the Grados are bright, aren't they? They have a very specific sound, as I was told.
I've never heard of HD590 and UK Amazon doesn't offer them (neither new pair, nor used ones). And to ship them from US, again, could be our of my budget.

I'd prefer new headphones :)

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #9 of 40
Grados are good at organ, solo vocals, and chamber (strings). They are too bright for orchestral and piano, besides lacking the soundstage needed for orchestral. I bought one for organ, but I wouldn't have it as my main one.

U6astik, considered also buying a Fostex (any RP series) and modding it.

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #10 of 40
Grados are good at organ, solo vocals, and chamber (strings). They are too bright for orchestral and piano, besides lacking the soundstage needed for orchestral. I bought one for organ, but I wouldn't have it as my main one.

U6astik, considered also buying a Fostex (any RP series) and modding it.

Claritas,

Fostex T20rp seem to be quite reasonable, but the are SO expensive in UK (£99 against $69).
I've heard only good things about Fostex and I would go for them, if they were cheaper :frowning2:

Feb 28, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #12 of 40
  Any superlux headphones.

[b]b0000[/b],

The price is very appealing, however I haven't heard anything of them before.
Do you have any experince with them? How do they play classical?

Feb 28, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #13 of 40
Theyre pretty much the best value in that price range. They'll be pretty good for classical. They're mostly neutral, but slightly bright. Whichever version you get is up to you. theyre pretty close in terms of sound

http://www.head-fi.org/products/category/headphones/superlux

this has the 668b:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-111-portable-headphones-reviewed-creative-aurvana-live-2-added-02-25-14

Feb 28, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #15 of 40
I just noticed there's now a (new?) evo version that seems to have lowered treble energy since a lot of people found the original to be bright and fatiguing.

Edit: seems like the evo is slightly bass heavy, that rules them out for classical

Users who are viewing this thread

Back