Headphones for Classic/Post rock (These will be my first pair)
Nov 25, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:
I was reading this thread and was going to suggest the SRH840. I prefer them over the M50 personally as they are more neutral. A good all-arounder, but maybe a bit large for mobile use. I also wear glasses and haven't had an issue comfort-wise. While they are efficient and work well without extra amplification, I find they pair really well with the FiiO E11.

Thank you for this. It helped a lot!

Nov 26, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

I couldn't find it on Amazon. I gotta a question, though. Excuse my ignorance, but what's the difference between a DT 770 pro 250 ohm AND the 80 ohm?

Thanks.

You can have it here : http://www.amazon.de/Beyerdynamic-DT-770-Pro-Ohm-Kopfh%C3%B6rer/dp/B008POFOHM
Or on Thomann http://www.thomann.de/gb/beyerdynamic_dt_770_pro_le.htm
If you're not living in Europe, I don't really know where you can have the Pro Limited Edition.
They use the same drivers but the impedance, 250ohms vs 80ohms will have an impact on the sound, the Pro-80ohms is bassier than the Pro-250ohms. And it will be more difficult to drive a 250ohms driver than a 80ohms driver. You just have to use Ohm law (Voltage = Resistance x Current) to understand that.
Note that the Limited Edition (32ohms) seems to be different from the standard Pro-versions (I didn't hear the two others Pro), you can read this if you want : http://www.headfonia.com/the-beyerdynamic-we-love-dt770-anniversary-edition/
Then the Pro versions have more bass than the Premium versions. But (and it's where I don't understand Beyerdynamic) the Premium versions are discontinued...

Hope this helps !

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

You can have it here : http://www.amazon.de/Beyerdynamic-DT-770-Pro-Ohm-Kopfh%C3%B6rer/dp/B008POFOHM
Or on Thomann http://www.thomann.de/gb/beyerdynamic_dt_770_pro_le.htm
If you're not living in Europe, I don't really know where you can have the Pro Limited Edition.
They use the same drivers but the impedance, 250ohms vs 80ohms will have an impact on the sound, the Pro-80ohms is bassier than the Pro-250ohms. And it will be more difficult to drive a 250ohms driver than a 80ohms driver. You just have to use Ohm law (Voltage = Resistance x Current) to understand that.
Note that the Limited Edition (32ohms) seems to be different from the standard Pro-versions (I didn't hear the two others Pro), you can read this if you want : http://www.headfonia.com/the-beyerdynamic-we-love-dt770-anniversary-edition/
Then the Pro versions have more bass than the Premium versions. But (and it's where I don't understand Beyerdynamic) the Premium versions are discontinued...

Hope this helps !

You've been such a great help! I don't live in Europe. I couldn't find the DT 770 limited edition anywhere. Thank you for your explanation. I kind of get it a little bit. I think I'm going with the premium 880 now...

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #19 of 29
Maybe here : http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/882991-REG/Beyerdynamic_dt_770_se32_DT_770_PRO.html

To be clearer in my explanation :
The current I defines how loud your headphones will be. Your system delivers a constant voltage V.
With the Ohm-law, you can write I = V / R.
So if V is constant and R increase, I will decrease. So high impedance headphone will need more current to sound loud.
You also have to look at the efficiency of the headphones also known as Sound Pressure Level (SPL) written in dB for a certain amount of watts (typically it's written for 1mW). If your headphones is efficient (high SPL), you will need low current to sound loud.

EDIT : The 880 is surely the best of the lineup. But it's semi-open and leaks a lot. With a relatively low price and open, the best you can find on the market in my opinion is the HE-400, but since you're going <200$, it's a bit too pricy.

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #20 of 29
Soundmagic HP100 would be excellent for your needs, better than DT770

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #21 of 29
I've menioned a dislike for Grado cans before, so I may be a bit biased here, but I honestly think something with good/deep bass (as opposed to no bass at all with the Grados) and wide dynamic range would be best suited for electronia and 80's pop music, as well as things like Zeppelin and any classical music. I can highly recommend the HiFiMan HE-400 and most likely the HE-500 or Audeze LCD-2 would be excellent choices also, but I'm not sure what your budget is and what equipment you already own.

Grado's, not to completely put them down, are good for accoustic music (Neil Young, some folk etc) and possibly better for AC-DC as well, since Grado replicates the guitar (electric and accoustic) quite nicely. They are just congested and don't offer a large dynamic range or soundstage, which may be important to you (listening to Over the Hills and Far Far Away on the HE-400 is MUCH better than on my Grado 325is).

If you're on a tight budget, go for the Sennheiser 280 Pro and a cMoy amp from JDS Labs.

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #22 of 29
I gotta say that you convinced me, and I'm this close to getting it. Not to mention how tempting the price is. I'm just a little reluctant. I really can't thank you enough for the tips!
Come on, the Grado's are open. You said you needed closed and comfortable. They aren't either of those. Yes, they sound great but aren't a good all-rounder.

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:
Maybe here : http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/882991-REG/Beyerdynamic_dt_770_se32_DT_770_PRO.html

To be clearer in my explanation :
The current I defines how loud your headphones will be. Your system delivers a constant voltage V.
With the Ohm-law, you can write I = V / R.
So if V is constant and R increase, I will decrease. So high impedance headphone will need more current to sound loud.
You also have to look at the efficiency of the headphones also known as Sound Pressure Level (SPL) written in dB for a certain amount of watts (typically it's written for 1mW). If your headphones is efficient (high SPL), you will need low current to sound loud.

EDIT : The 880 is surely the best of the lineup. But it's semi-open and leaks a lot. With a relatively low price and open, the best you can find on the market in my opinion is the HE-400, but since you're going <200$, it's a bit too pricy.

Whoa! Thank you for that explanation! I'm checking the website right now. The HE-400 are badass cans. The problem is that they're waay over my budget.

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:
I've menioned a dislike for Grado cans before, so I may be a bit biased here, but I honestly think something with good/deep bass (as opposed to no bass at all with the Grados) and wide dynamic range would be best suited for electronia and 80's pop music, as well as things like Zeppelin and any classical music. I can highly recommend the HiFiMan HE-400 and most likely the HE-500 or Audeze LCD-2 would be excellent choices also, but I'm not sure what your budget is and what equipment you already own.

Grado's, not to completely put them down, are good for accoustic music (Neil Young, some folk etc) and possibly better for AC-DC as well, since Grado replicates the guitar (electric and accoustic) quite nicely. They are just congested and don't offer a large dynamic range or soundstage, which may be important to you (listening to Over the Hills and Far Far Away on the HE-400 is MUCH better than on my Grado 325is).

If you're on a tight budget, go for the Sennheiser 280 Pro and a cMoy amp from JDS Labs.

Hey olsenn. Thank you for this. I did read a lot about the cons of Grado, and I totally understand what you mean. The HE-400 is over my budget, but I can never doubt how good it is. In addition to the others you've mention of course.

What would you recommend other than the Sennheiser 280 Pro? my budget is up to 250$ now, and I don't own an external amp whatsoever.

Nov 26, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Hey olsenn. Thank you for this. I did read a lot about the cons of Grado, and I totally understand what you mean. The HE-400 is over my budget, but I can never doubt how good it is. In addition to the others you've mention of course.

What would you recommend other than the Sennheiser 280 Pro? my budget is up to 250$ now, and I don't own an external amp whatsoever.

If you like going back stage to meet the band, go on stage to listen! Grado SR80i. Now you can save 150$. Good luck.

Nov 26, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #27 of 29
If you feel the need to spend more money because just spending 100$ scare's you, there is a pair of brand new SR225i's on ebay right now for 185$, they will have a slightly bigger sound stage, a bit more bass, and a smoother mid for vocal's, and you'll still be on stage!

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #28 of 29
+1 for the HE-400 for us Post-Rockers! As well as Drone, grunge, stoner, and the likes, all fantastic on these. Way over budget though (plus you might need an amp, etc, etc)

If you're fine with the Grados, don't want to spend too much, and want some soundstage, try a pair of modded sr80s or MS1. Heard of the MS1000 mods before? Yeah, works wonders for the soundstage. Lots of other cheap mods you can do for them as well. Kept them for a long time until I got the HE-400s. 

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #29 of 29
MIMCA, Just so you know the MS1i is is a grado SR80i with a slightly modified driver from (alessandro high end music products) the highs are toned down a little, and the mid's aren't as up front as the (SR80i), it's a bit mellower, and also cost 100$. I own a pair of (MS2's), alessandro's edition of grado's (325is), they sound amazing also, but they cost 300$. When I responded to your post you budget was 200$, these other headphone's were way over your budget, that's why I recommended the 80's. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back