Headphones for Classic/Post rock (These will be my first pair)
Nov 24, 2012 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Mimcia

New Head-Fier
Hi! I'm a new member
darthsmile.gif
I finally signed up after all those hours spent searching and reading here.
I've been looking around for a pair of over-ear headphones.
My budget ranges from 150-200$.
I mostly listen to:
  1. Classic Rock (Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, AC/DC, The Doors, The Who)
  2. Post Rock (Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, 65daysofstatic, Sigur Ros, Mono)
  3. Acoustics
  4. Experimental (Mum, Crystal Castles, Germany Germany)

I think I'm looking for a headphone that is suitable for almost all genres. A lot recommended Grado since Rock music is what I almost listen to. Keep in mind that I wear glasses, and Grado (from what I've read) are uncomfortable.
I need a closed, comfortable headphone that doesn't need an amp.

I did read a lot of good reviews on Audio-Technica ATHM50. However, some were annoyed by its bass.

What do you guys think? I'm open for all suggestions of course.
Thanks!

Nov 24, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 29
Quote:
Hi! I'm a new member
darthsmile.gif
I mostly listen to:
  3. Acoustics

I think I'm looking for a headphone that is suitable for almost all genres. A lot recommended Grado since Rock music is what I almost listen to. Keep in mind that I wear glasses, and Grado (from what I've read) are uncomfortable.

I did read a lot of good reviews on Audio-Technica ATHM50. However, some were annoyed by its bass.

Thanks!

Can I just say that your Post Rock tastes are exactly the same as mine? Good on you for liking Mono and Mogwai!

If you want a pseudo-closed Grado, try the HD25-1ii. You can wear them with glasses, and the sound sig is aggressive and upfront enough to make rock and electronic really enjoyable.

Nov 24, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:
Hi! I'm a new member
darthsmile.gif
I mostly listen to:
  3. Acoustics

Thanks!

You did mention that you wanted a closed back, but try listening to the grado they are excellent, and as long as you adjust them correctly so there's no pressure on your ears they are comortable, plus you can save yourself 100$ and buy the sr80;'s wich have up front crystal clear mids with crisp highs, the bass is seems just right, very punchy and tight, it actully does sound like you are right on stage, with the musicians you will not miss any of the music at all, not even the slightest instrument. Try'em out if you dont like'em return them (you will most likely love'em). Good luck.

Nov 25, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #4 of 29
Quote:
Can I just say that your Post Rock tastes are exactly the same as mine? Good on you for liking Mono and Mogwai!

If you want a pseudo-closed Grado, try the HD25-1ii. You can wear them with glasses, and the sound sig is aggressive and upfront enough to make rock and electronic really enjoyable.

Joy overfills me whenever someone mentions that they're a fan of Either Mono or Mogwai. I'm glad you are.

Believe it or not, but I did consider getting the HD25-1ii at some point. I might get that thought back. Would you suggest something else?

Thank you for your reply!

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #5 of 29
Quote:
 You did mention that you wanted a closed back, but try listening to the grado they are excellent, and as long as you adjust them correctly so there's no pressure on your ears they are comortable, plus you can save yourself 100$ and buy the sr80;'s wich have up front crystal clear mids with crisp highs, the bass is seems just right, very punchy and tight, it actully does sound like you are right on stage, with the musicians you will not miss any of the music at all, not even the slightest instrument. Try'em out if you dont like'em return them (you will most likely love'em). Good luck.

The sr80i was on my top list of Grados. I read a lot of how superb the sound quality is, and I have no doubt about that. The only thing that kept me away from it is the complaints about its uncomfortability. I may try it as you said. Would you suggest something else?

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Joy overfills me whenever someone mentions that they're a fan of Either Mono or Mogwai. I'm glad you are.

Believe it or not, but I did consider getting the HD25-1ii at some point. I might get that thought back. Would you suggest something else?

Yeah, maybe the M50s. I mean, they're fast and clear enough for most Post-rock...just not as good as the HD25.

Nov 25, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #7 of 29
If you can catch them, I recommend you the DT770pro Limited Edition, brillant cans for Post-rock. It is closed and comfortable like a pillow. It's a bit big if you want to use them as portable cans.
Mono fan here too :wink:.

EDIT : Ah, 200$ Max, it's a bit out of your budget then.

Nov 25, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:
If you can catch them, I recommend you the DT770pro Limited Edition, brillant cans for Post-rock. It is closed and comfortable like a pillow. It's a bit big if you want to use them as portable cans.
Mono fan here too :wink:.

EDIT : Ah, 200$ Max, it's a bit out of your budget then.

Mono fans united! I never considered getting the DT 770 pro. They definitely look very comfy. I did like the DT 880, but the color is too bright for my liking, and I've read somewhere that it needs an amp to perform better. What do you think?

Nov 25, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

The sr80i was on my top list of Grados. I read a lot of how superb the sound quality is, and I have no doubt about that. The only thing that kept me away from it is the complaints about its uncomfortability. I may try it as you said. Would you suggest something else?

As far as being uncomfortable when they come from the factory the headband is made of spring metal so they're like clamps on your head and may put too much pressure on your ears and also have a small sound due to this. If you take the headband and bend it ( in my case into a U shape) and just let the drivers lay over your ears allowing the headband to do it's job by resting on your head you will not even feel them on your head + I feel the sound opened up also, you may have to keep readjusting the band several times because it wants to return to it's factory shape, it took me about 3-5 tmes to get it right for my head, just get them, you save 100$ and the raw sound IMO cant be beat, like I said if you cant make them comfortable on your head return them, but they must be adjusted correctly dont be affraid to bend them. As far as suggesting something else I obviously think these headphones have the most realistic raw, live sound, I would not get anything else for your budget + they are very light. Good luck.

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Mono fans united! I never considered getting the DT 770 pro. They definitely look very comfy. I did like the DT 880, but the color is too bright for my liking, and I've read somewhere that it needs an amp to perform better. What do you think?

The DT770 are V-shaped, with good bass impact, bright trebles (can be sibilant at times) and a bit recessed mids. The ones I was mentionning, the Limited Edition, are DT770pro with 32ohms drivers, which are fine out of any portable players and laptop.
I unfortunately didn't test the DT770 Premium @ 32Ohms since it's discontinued now (there still are few around on Amazon), so I can't say about the sound, but they are pretty similar. 
They do benefit from amping, like almost every headphones, but it's not necessary to sound really good and I clearly love mine out of my Cowon J3.

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #13 of 29
What do you guys think of the SR840?

I was reading this thread and was going to suggest the SRH840. I prefer them over the M50 personally as they are more neutral. A good all-arounder, but maybe a bit large for mobile use. I also wear glasses and haven't had an issue comfort-wise. While they are efficient and work well without extra amplification, I find they pair really well with the FiiO E11.

Nov 25, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:
 As far as being uncomfortable when they come from the factory the headband is made of spring metal so they're like clamps on your head and may put too much pressure on your ears and also have a small sound due to this. If you take the headband and bend it ( in my case into a U shape) and just let the drivers lay over your ears allowing the headband to do it's job by resting on your head you will not even feel them on your head + I feel the sound opened up also, you may have to keep readjusting the band several times because it wants to return to it's factory shape, it took me about 3-5 tmes to get it right for my head, just get them, you save 100$ and the raw sound IMO cant be beat, like I said if you cant make them comfortable on your head return them, but they must be adjusted correctly dont be affraid to bend them. As far as suggesting something else I obviously think these headphones have the most realistic raw, live sound, I would not get anything else for your budget + they are very light. Good luck.

I gotta say that you convinced me, and I'm this close to getting it. Not to mention how tempting the price is. I'm just a little reluctant. I really can't thank you enough for the tips!

Nov 25, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

The DT770 are V-shaped, with good bass impact, bright trebles (can be sibilant at times) and a bit recessed mids. The ones I was mentionning, the Limited Edition, are DT770pro with 32ohms drivers, which are fine out of any portable players and laptop.
I unfortunately didn't test the DT770 Premium @ 32Ohms since it's discontinued now (there still are few around on Amazon), so I can't say about the sound, but they are pretty similar. 
They do benefit from amping, like almost every headphones, but it's not necessary to sound really good and I clearly love mine out of my Cowon J3.

I couldn't find it on Amazon. I gotta a question, though. Excuse my ignorance, but what's the difference between a DT 770 pro 250 ohm AND the 80 ohm?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back