Headphones for bus/train riding (iPod Nano)
Oct 21, 2010 at 7:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

bZeiler

New Head-Fier
Short version:
Any headphone ideas for bus/train riding? I listen to metal and trance, my current ideas are listed below.

Long version:
Hey guys. I ahve been browsing headphones for over a month now because I want to make sure I get the right ones since I am very low on cash and wouldn't want to make an investment twice.

I am looking for a pair of cans that I can use when riding the bus in the morning or taking the train to my gf. I don't walk around that much in traffic but it would be nice to atleast be able to hear the honk of a car. This might be a problem and I might have to choose either total cancellation or no cancellation as bus rides tend to be very loud. If that is the case then I'd rather have good sound and get hit by a car, meaning that I would go for full cancellation.

I mainly listen to metal and rock (Soilwork, SOiL, Breaking Benjamin, Disturbed, Three Days Grace, FFDP and so on) but also listen to trance and house (Trentemoller, Daft Punk, Mike Sheridan, and so on..).

My previous cans were the standard Apple inear ones so everything will be an improvement! I have all my sound in FLAC format but I am going to convert it to ALAC if I can find a way for the best experience (or just LAME it to .mp3).

I want them to be able to play unamped from my iPod nano and I would like them to not be "BOOMY". I think what I mean is that I want some that I can listen to for a long time without getting tired in my ears (this was what happened with my previous set. I think it was due to a too high treble).

I am on a budget so my first idea was the Koss Porta Pro's but I have read they leak alot of sound which sort of defeats my purpose. I then took the price up a bit and looked at the Grado SR-60i which seem pretty good but from what I read actually but apparently they also leak sound?

Then I looked at the Sony MDR-V6 and found that these require specific pads which sort of make them expensive.

I even took a look a Grado Allesandro MS-1i because I heard they were great for rock and metal (which is my main genre).

So basically...

Current ideas:
  1. Koss Porta Pro,
  2. Grado SR-60i,
  3. Sony MDR-V6,
  4. Grado Allesandro MS-1i

Which to pick or do you have other suggestions?

note: sorry for the wall of text..

Oct 21, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 20
Welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet. Maybe I'm just biased here, but I think the Sennheiser PX200-II would be great for you. They have OKish isolation for bus rides, clean, smooth sound, the bass is tight and fast, with forward and engaging midrange and good highs. Overall, I love them for any sort of fast and loud rock/metal.

I think they're in your price range, not sure about US prices, since Senns are cheaper here. 

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #5 of 20
ES7 are nice but probably a bit out of the price range...if you can swing it..perhaps the ATH M50. You would have two cable choices: straight or coiled...

Oct 21, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #7 of 20

Quote:
The PX200II looks like a winner, and for ~$100 you could get the ATH-M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmd /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Maybe I'm just biased here, but I think the Sennheiser PX200-II would be great for you. They have OKish isolation for bus rides, clean, smooth sound, the bass is tight and fast, with forward and engaging midrange and good highs. Overall, I love them for any sort of fast and loud rock/metal. 

Quote:
ES7 are nice but probably a bit out of the price range...if you can swing it..perhaps the ATH M50. You would have two cable choices: straight or coiled...

Looks like I have a choice between ATH M50 or Sennheiser PX200-II. Any pros and cons?
Oh and thanks for the quick replies everyone!

Oct 21, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #8 of 20
You really need IEMs. I resisted them for a long time myself, but as it turned out I had little trouble adjusting even to the deep-insertion kind (Etymotic). They're really the only fully successful tool for this job- closed headphones just don't have anywhere near the noise isolation and no reasonably priced closed portable sounds as as good as a number of modestly priced IEMs. FWIR the PX-200-II may be the best of the lot in sound quality but doesn't isolate much.

Oct 21, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #9 of 20
FWIR...
The M50 will be bassier, but its bass can moderated somewhat with an easy modification. There are a lot of opinions posted - I suggest searching M50 to see if it suits you. I don't think it gets many props for loud rock / metal, but that doesn't necessarily mean you wouldn't prefer it to the PX200II. I don't think it would be my first choice for that music, and I often listen to loud classic rock. 

Quote:
Looks like I have a choice between ATH M50 or Sennheiser PX200-II. Any pros and cons?

Oct 21, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #10 of 20

Quote:
You really need IEMs. I resisted them for a long time myself, but as it turned out I had little trouble adjusting even to the deep-insertion kind (Etymotic). They're really the only fully successful tool for this job- closed headphones just don't have anywhere near the noise isolation and no reasonably priced closed portable sounds as as good as a number of modestly priced IEMs.

Right-on-the-money. IEM's will isolate you better than any full-sized can. Especailly with foamie tips like the Shure Olives or Comply's. You can get up to 25 or 28 db reduction with a very good seal. Ety's are very good, I agree, and there are many out there. My current fave is the DBA-02. Very punchy and natural, clean and bright.

Other than IEM's, you may want to go with something like the M50. An excellent value, and very good sound. Good isolation. (I think they do just fine with rock... 
wink_face.gif
 )

shane

Oct 21, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #11 of 20

Quote:
You really need IEMs. I resisted them for a long time myself, but as it turned out I had little trouble adjusting even to the deep-insertion kind (Etymotic). They're really the only fully successful tool for this job- closed headphones just don't have anywhere near the noise isolation and no reasonably priced closed portable sounds as as good as a number of modestly priced IEMs. FWIR the PX-200-II may be the best of the lot in sound quality but doesn't isolate much.

Really? IEM's? I have some problems with my ears atm so I would prefer some closed really.

Quote:
FWIR...
The M50 will be bassier, but its bass can moderated somewhat with an easy modification. There are a lot of opinions posted - I suggest searching M50 to see if it suits you. I don't think it gets many props for loud rock / metal, but that doesn't necessarily mean you wouldn't prefer it to the PX200II. I don't think it would be my first choice for that music, and I often listen to loud classic rock.

Hmm I see.. I really do like the way the M50's look, I must say. Will give them a spin if I can get to a store that have them :)

Oct 21, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #12 of 20
Heres an update.

I just checked the prices and the ATH are 300$ and  the Sennheiser are only around 120$.
This is ofc really sad as I think the ATH look AMAZING and I will mostly be wearing these headphones in public.

So with this massive price difference. Would you recommend the Sennheiser?

Oct 21, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #13 of 20
Whaaaaa??? 
eek.gif
  M50 for $300? Where are you? Normally they are around $100.

Oct 21, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #15 of 20
Oh... sorry.
frown.gif

Yes, it does, and not in a good way. Although where you live is nice...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back