headphones for bed?
May 3, 2003 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

tomek

500+ Head-Fier
I've put my grados in my bedroom now, so i can listen to music as i doze off, but i realize how terrible they are for this. not only can i not lay my head down sideways while wearing them, because they're open and too big, but even when i just lay on my back in bed, they are too loose and too big.

does anyone else like to listen to music as they go to sleep. which headphones do you recommend? i remember having some cheap sony earbuds, and they were ok.

May 3, 2003 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 49
I use Ety's exclusively for bed. I never actually fan asleep though...I take them off in that trance like state just before I hit the first stage.

You may want to look into them, I do have a slight problem turning on my side with them, but once comfy...it feels fine.

If you actually want to fall asleep...maybe something like Koss 50's or something?

May 3, 2003 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 49
i cant wear my cd3000 or athw1000 to bed so i have my speakers do the job for me - deftech BP2004

May 3, 2003 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 49
I listen to my MDR-v600s from Sony in my bed. Can't lay on my side but it works just fine laying on my back. Do it every night.

I have a pair of Beyer 831s on order... I have a feeling they will be too bulky for bed, but I'm not using them for that anyways.

FYI, headphones before bed is a GREAT way to get to sleep. At least it is for me.

-Chad

May 3, 2003 at 2:54 PM Post #5 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by tomek
I've put my grados in my bedroom now, so i can listen to music as i doze off, but i realize how terrible they are for this. not only can i not lay my head down sideways while wearing them, because they're open and too big, but even when i just lay on my back in bed, they are too loose and too big.

does anyone else like to listen to music as they go to sleep. which headphones do you recommend? i remember having some cheap sony earbuds, and they were ok.

Sony MDR-V6/7506 or MDR-84

May 3, 2003 at 3:10 PM Post #6 of 49
D66 with my old Kenwood MD really puts me into sleeping mode with it's smooth relaxing sound when playing some slower pop songs. I wouldn't recommend wearing them while sleeping on the side though as they stand out a bit, but I always sleep on my back so it works great for me.

May 3, 2003 at 3:13 PM Post #7 of 49
having tried many many headphones for bed, they all suck. you have to lie with no pillow. So, the Sennheiser MX500 earbuds seem to be the best solution. You can even lay on your side, no problem.

May 3, 2003 at 3:18 PM Post #8 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
having tried many many headphones for bed, they all suck. you have to lie with no pillow. So, the Sennheiser MX500 earbuds seem to be the best solution. You can even lay on your side, no problem.

The Sony MDR-84 has a very flat structure, but it slips off easily.

May 3, 2003 at 3:32 PM Post #9 of 49
I have figured out that closed phones work the best because they don't get funky sounding if the pillow covers them. Beyer DT-250 aren't very bulky, but still not quite there for laying on your side. I used to sleep with Sony EX70 earbuds okay. Until I got where I hated the sound from them so much that I don't use them anymore.

May 3, 2003 at 6:27 PM Post #11 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia

I tried that, but they stick out just enough to be uncomfortable. I hate it! I wish so badly that my ears were just millimetres deeper, so that the buds could rest comfortably IN my ears as opposed to resting just outside. Oh, the humanity!

May 3, 2003 at 6:59 PM Post #12 of 49
What about all those "quality" pillow speakers that once were a bigger deal?

In stereo and made with space-age materials here.

Are we still in the space-age?

May 3, 2003 at 7:03 PM Post #13 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
What about all those "quality" pillow speakers that use to be a bigger deal.

Due to their design, all of those "pillow speakers" tend to be low-fi in sound quality. They cannot reproduce any bass at all whatsoever, and their effective frequency response range is no more extended than a typical pocket AM radio.

May 3, 2003 at 7:04 PM Post #14 of 49
I sleep with Portapros on no problem. Very comfy and great for drifting off to sleep.

May 3, 2003 at 7:08 PM Post #15 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
Due to their design, all of those "pillow speakers" tend to be low-fi in sound quality. They cannot reproduce any bass at all whatsoever, and their effective frequency response range is no more extended than a typical pocket AM radio.

Is it the speakers, or that they were mismated with low quality stock pillows?
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back