Headphones for a Small Head Index
Jul 28, 2019 at 10:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

treezoob

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I've lurked through the forum for a bit and found a few threads on this subject but of all different price points, most of which outside of my own :darthsmile:.

What I am looking for is data to turn into a graphic I can submit to the forum that contains headphones for Small Heads at every price points (written in USD):

0-75
76-150
151-225
226-300
301+

Personally, I am looking for over ear headphones around 70 USD that have good noise isolation or canceling and maybe even Bluetooth connectivity. My last pair of headphones was the Mpow H10 (around which 60 USD), which I loved except for that my ears supported the weight of entire thing and that caused fatigue and pain after an hour, sometimes less. I've also tried the Status Audio CB-1 which were more comfortable but didn't clamp over the bottom of my ears, which may be the reason why the sound was muddy.
I like listening to rap, metal, folk, dance/electro, classical and hip-hop.

Jul 28, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #3 of 11
The Koss Porta Pro's can get very small because of the headband design john-c-koss-with-the-koss-porta-pro.jpg

Jul 28, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 11
It's difficult enough finding good sounding headphones under $100 let alone comfortable ones, not including build quality. I wish you luck though.

While I recognize that good sub-$100 USD headphones are impossible or nearly impossible to find, good for the price is what I'm gunning for :o2smile:. If anyone has tried the Mpow h10s and other headphones, it would be good if they could put them on an out of ten scale, the H10s being 5.

Jul 28, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #7 of 11
For reference, I have a small/average sized head. (I'm 5 foot 7, and my head is appropriately sized for my body) Some headphones are a little too big for me, for example the Akai 50x/Marantz MPH-2/ ISK MDH9000 clones are all a little too tall for me. Even on the lowest setting I have to wear a hat for the earpads to properly cover my ears. A lot of my headphones I wear at or very near the smallest setting.
A really good headphone in the sub $100 range that works for smaller heads is the Sony MDR7506. Street price on them hovers around $80. As far as the fit, I wear them on the 4th click up, out of a possible 11 clicks (Hell yeah, these headphones go to 11!) They sound good out of the box and there are a couple of simple tweaks that you can do to make them sound even better. They are really comfortable, they are built like a tank, and they isolate noise fairly well. After a pad swap and a removable cable mod they became my favorite potable headphones, by far. They fold up into a really tight package for a full sized over ear headphone, and they are built to take abuse, so I feel totally comfortable just folding them up and tossing them in a backpack
29425728_10213432403538724_6457038963629621248_o.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #8 of 11
For reference, I have a small/average sized head. (I'm 5 foot 7, and my head is appropriately sized for my body) Some headphones are a little too big for me, for example the Akai 50x/Marantz MPH-2/ ISK MDH9000 clones are all a little too tall for me. Even on the lowest setting I have to wear a hat for the earpads to properly cover my ears. A lot of my headphones I wear at or very near the smallest setting.
A really good headphone in the sub $100 range that works for smaller heads is the Sony MDR7506. Street price on them hovers around $80. As far as the fit, I wear them on the 4th click up, out of a possible 11 clicks (Hell yeah, these headphones go to 11!) They sound good out of the box and there are a couple of simple tweaks that you can do to make them sound even better. They are really comfortable, they are built like a tank, and they isolate noise fairly well. After a pad swap and a removable cable mod they became my favorite potable headphones, by far. They fold up into a really tight package for a full sized over ear headphone, and they are built to take abuse, so I feel totally comfortable just folding them up and tossing them in a backpack

Amazon currently lists MDR7506 at $100. Could it be that you're referring to the Sony MDRV6 ($75.84 on Amazon)?

Jul 29, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #9 of 11
Amazon currently lists MDR7506 at $100. Could it be that you're referring to the Sony MDRV6 ($75.84 on Amazon)?
2 things:
first, no, I mean the Sony MDR7506...I bought mine 5 years ago and I routinely check for sales on them, because if I can get a set for cheap, I will pick up a spare set, but they are very consistently priced at $80 from various retailers.
Second, the V6 is nearly indistinguishable from the 7506. I have read a LOT about this line of headphones and as far as I can tell besides some stickers and minor differences in damping, they are nearly identical. Some say the V6 is a little bassier...
My point is, if you can get the V6 OR a 7506 for $80 or less, I recommend it. I know a lot of people are vaguely aware of them, because they are so widely used in TV production, you see them all the time, and think of it as a studio/production headphone, but I think they get kind of overlooked. With some simple mods they are a great portable.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #10 of 11
2 things:
first, no, I mean the Sony MDR7506...I bought mine 5 years ago and I routinely check for sales on them, because if I can get a set for cheap, I will pick up a spare set, but they are very consistently priced at $80 from various retailers.
Second, the V6 is nearly indistinguishable from the 7506. I have read a LOT about this line of headphones and as far as I can tell besides some stickers and minor differences in damping, they are nearly identical. Some say the V6 is a little bassier...
My point is, if you can get the V6 OR a 7506 for $80 or less, I recommend it. I know a lot of people are vaguely aware of them, because they are so widely used in TV production, you see them all the time, and think of it as a studio/production headphone, but I think they get kind of overlooked. With some simple mods they are a great portable.
That's awesome!! I'll definitely look further into them! Thank you so much for the clear, insightful and helpful advice!

Jul 29, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #11 of 11
That's awesome!! I'll definitely look further into them! Thank you so much for the clear, insightful and helpful advice!
glad to help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back