Headphones for <$700US
Jul 12, 2010 at 4:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

nasanu

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am looking for some full sized headphones with a budget of $700US.  I'll be using it with my Sony X and refuse to use an amp.  A while ago I was able to try out some Grados and they sounded great and nice tight bass, problem is I cant remember what model they were.  I listen to all types of music.

At the moment I an considering the Grado RS1i, what else should I be looking at?  I've heard good things about AKG, however all the AKG highend stuff I've tried I was unable to drive.

Thanks.

Jul 12, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #3 of 20
I have to ask... You have a decent budget, you want to buy a higher end headphone, so why is it you refuse to purchase an amp? I can tell you as you scale further up that a better source, DAC, and amp all improve the sound quality. Significantly. If you're going to spend the money, you owe it to yourself to try and reach the headphone's full potential.

Just my opinion... Below is a grain of sand.

:)

Peace

Jul 12, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #4 of 20
I dont want an amp because I am already carrying keys, wallet, mp3 player, phone, headphones...  Even though some amps are small, it is still yet another thing to carry (and keep charged) and it is not really my idea of portable.

Jul 12, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #5 of 20

Quote:
I dont want an amp because I am already carrying keys, wallet, mp3 player, phone, headphones...  Even though some amps are small, it is still yet another thing to carry (and keep charged) and it is not really my idea of portable.

if you are looking for portable, you should look into IEMs if you don't want an amp.

Headphones wise, you probably could save a lot if you don't want the amp too i.e. your budget is way too high.

Jul 12, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 20
Grado RS1i will give you a musical treat only if your going to use it at home.
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #7 of 20
Yup, RS1s aren't good portables. I'd look into the ESW9 as a portable option if needed.

Jul 12, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #8 of 20

Quote:
if you are looking for portable, you should look into IEMs if you don't want an amp.

Headphones wise, you probably could save a lot if you don't want the amp too i.e. your budget is way too high.

I already have Westone 3s (oh and rubbish super.fi 5 pros).  But I really loved the sound of whatever grados I listened to, it was just running off my mp3 player.

Quote:
Yup, RS1s aren't good portables. I'd look into the ESW9 as a portable option if needed.

I hate the look of those ATs :p  Plus I have EM9ds that have fallen apart.  So what makes the RS1's a bad choice?  Are they hard to dive?  Or is it the lack of noise insulation? 

They would mainly be for at home use, I'd use my IEMs for going to uni, on buses etc.

Jul 12, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #9 of 20
Ah, in that case get the RS-1s for sure, I just assumed they were going to get a lot of portable usage :)

Jul 12, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #13 of 20
Look into the Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000. I can't provide impressions since I just got them today, but I'm very impressed so far.

They're supposedly easy to drive without an amp but I have yet to test this.

Edit: I've tried them directly out of my Zune, and while they are improved with an amp I probably won't bother with one if I ever wear them outside. They get to what I would consider normal listening volume at about 11/30 and they sound surprisingly full.

Be sure to read the reviews on them though. They have a colored midrange that might not suit everyone's tastes.

Jul 15, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #14 of 20
d dads oh god now it wont let me get back to where I was typing.  Really whos great idea was it to use this forum code?
oh *** I cant use this stupid javascript text entry!!  Fine no paragraphs since the stupid script wont let me enter them.  What is wrong with a normal textbox for text entry?..  Anyway, I've recently realised that the headphones I listened to a while back where not Gra

MS-Pro

Jul 15, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #15 of 20
Ok back in IE8, seems this forum does not like an unknown browser like Firefox...

And hey I can press enter again.  So back to what I was TRYING to say:

What I actually demo'd was alessandro.  Again not sure which model.  I am wondering if the MS-Pro equates to the RS1 or RS1i?..  I've read that alessandro is a more nutral sound compared to the slightly coloured grado sound, is this true?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back