Headphones for 256 kbps electronic music
Jun 6, 2012 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

airene

New Head-Fier
Hello all, total newbie here looking for advice on a good pair of headphones under $500. My music library is a real mix of files, but most of what I currently listen to are 256 kbps MP3s downloaded from iTunes. I'll probably be switching over to Google Music as they offer 320. I prefer downloading music to purchasing CDs because a lot of what I listen to is old and hard to find in CD form, and I prefer to get my music instantly and without the extra costs for shipping ect.

I mostly listen to electronic music, specifically Psytrance. I will be using these headphones solely with the computer while gaming. The computer has a Creative SB X-Fi sound card. I've owned a pair of Ultrasone HFI-780's for many years and am mainly looking at the Pro 900 based on the reviews that they are great for electronic music. The other one I'm looking at are the new Shure SRH1440's. headphone.com mentioned these are good for lower bitrate files in their review. I also own a Shure SE530 for the iPod and would be happy to stick with Shure for computer use. I'm also a bit confused as to what kind of headphone amp I should be looking at. Would Headroom's Total BitHead be sufficient?  I'm not looking to spend a ridiculous amount.

Thanks for the help! :)

Jun 6, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 4
If you like a little extra bass, but not tons, go with the Denon AH-D2000.  The D2000 is one of thost great all around headphones that works well with just about any type of music.  They sound awesome and remain on my Top 10 list.

They run $350 or less.

Another great option due to the scarcity of the D2000 would be the AKG K500.  You can see them here:
http://www.headphone.com/selection-guide/top-picks/akg-k-550.php
They run $300 or less.

To me the D2000 sounds better than any Shure headphone I have tried and they sound much better than the HFI-780.  The HFI-780 is on par with the Audio Technica ATH-M50, but the D2000 blows them both away.

Headroom's Total Bithead would work fine for any of the listed headphones either in my post or yours.  I use my Bithead at work and enjoy it.

For an excellent start at home audio, say you go with the AKG K500 and Bithead, is going to cost you $450.  That will get you well on your way to really great audio enjoyment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back