Headphones for 24-48 hr continuous use in noisy environment?
Nov 14, 2008 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

va3ttn

New Head-Fier
Do you have any recommendation for headphones with a bit of noise isolation,
comfortable enough to be worn continuously for 24 to 48 hours?

Earcushions have to be large enough and deep enough to avoid touching ears.
Even the slightest touch provokes great pain after 12 hours of use
frown.gif

I'm considering models like ER-4S, DT770 (consumer), ATH-A700, ATH-M50,
K271, EX-29, etc, but have no opportunity to try them.

If you have a recommendation, please quote inside dimensions of earcushions.

---

The application is amateur radio contesting, Contesting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Most competitions last for 24 hours, and major ones last for 48 hours.

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 27
Good luck staying up that long. Most comfortable pair I can think of that would probably honestly not bother your ears after 2 whole days would be the AD-700. Only prob is that they are open. Very very open. I find they are great for singing along with music cuz you can hear yourself perfectly if that's any indication of how little the isolation is. :x

I know people here hate the SQ of the brand but those Bose QuietComfort phones are very soft and offer noise cancellation. If the phones are just for the contest, buy them at Target and take 'em back when it's over.
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by va3ttn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have any recommendation for headphones with a bit of noise isolation,
comfortable enough to be worn continuously for 24 to 48 hours?

What is your budget for headphones or headphones and an amp? Do you already have an amp? How concerned are you about your ears being hot and sweating due to the headphones being closed and isolating?

Nov 14, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is your budget for headphones or headphones and an amp? Do you already have an amp? How concerned are you about your ears being hot and sweating due to the headphones being closed and isolating?

Limit is roughly twice the price of DT770 or K271.
I don't need amp - radio has enough power already.

I'd tolerate some heat if the pain gets eliminated or
at least reduced.

From what I've tried, look like I need big enough
(and deep enough) earcups to start with.

Nov 14, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by rossboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say that I have fairly large ears and the Dt770 sits around them very comfortably.

What version of DT770 do you have?
Could you, please, measure the inner diameter and depth
of earcups?

Nov 15, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #10 of 27
Wow...erm, how about getting one set of IEMs and one set of buds and one set of circumaurals. That way, you'll relieve different parts of your ear at different times. The IEMs and circumaurals will isolate, but the buds won't do as good a job, though. I'll second the Boses here, I think. They might not be the best cans SQ-wise, but they are very comfy and isolate well. ER-4s are a good choice for IEMs.

Nov 15, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Limit is roughly twice the price of DT770 or K271.
I don't need amp - radio has enough power already.

I'd tolerate some heat if the pain gets eliminated or
at least reduced.

From what I've tried, look like I need big enough
(and deep enough) earcups to start with.

FWIR, I agree with those suggesting the DT770 consumer model; however the price in it recently jumped up from it's seriously reduced price AND it requires an amp. For some headphones like the DT770 consumer model, 250 Ohm, it's more a matter of whether the headphones need the amp than whether you do. Really would have been a good solution for you, but is probably out of your price range.

Nov 15, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow...erm, how about getting one set of IEMs and one set of buds and one set of circumaurals. That way, you'll relieve different parts of your ear at different times. The IEMs and circumaurals will isolate, but the buds won't do as good a job, though. I'll second the Boses here, I think. They might not be the best cans SQ-wise, but they are very comfy and isolate well. ER-4s are a good choice for IEMs.

x2

Nov 15, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, I thought I might try alternating between ER-4S and circumaurals. I had an opportunity to try ER-4S for a short
time and I liked them.

Can I expect to wear ER-4S for, say, 3 hours at a time,
without too much discomfort?

Nov 15, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIR, I agree with those suggesting the DT770 consumer model; however the price in it recently jumped up from it's seriously reduced price AND it requires an amp. For some headphones like the DT770 consumer model, 250 Ohm, it's more a matter of whether the headphones need the amp than whether you do. Really would have been a good solution for you, but is probably out of your price range.

The radio has enough output to produce ~114 dB SPL with
DT770/250, which is probably 20-30 dB above the level I will/shall listen at.

The current prices is OK with me, but I'd like to know
inside earcup dimensions before ordering them.

Nov 15, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

The radio has enough output to produce ~114 dB SPL with
DT770/250, which is probably 20-30 dB above the level I will/shall listen at.

The current prices is OK with me, but I'd like to know
inside earcup dimensions before ordering them.

That should be no problem. I don't know it, but many have this model and can measure it for you. If not provided in this thread, I suggest simply starting another titled something like "DT770/250 Ear Cup Measurement?" You might find a good price for it in the for sale forum or on eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back