Headphones for 24-48 hr continuous use in noisy environment?
Nov 15, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reticuli2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ER4S with either custom or the gray foam tips. The flanged rubber tips will isolate better, but might not be as comfy for you.

In your opinion, for hour long can one expect to wear them before they start hurting?

Nov 15, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #18 of 27
Prop not on list, but the question is about long and confort. I have wore my SE-530's usually for 10-16 hours. This is using the foam olives, which could be used on the ER4. I did not fit discomfort.

I did find the DT770 not confortable, not due to the earpads, that was pretty confy, but mainly to the headband. Perhaps it was the pair I had as it was a used pair maybe a new pair may be different.

Just some food for thought

Nov 15, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by va3ttn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In your opinion, for hour long can one expect to wear them before they start hurting?

It depends on your ears. You'd have to find out by sampling different ear tips. IMO, the flanged tips would be more comfortable than the foams. The foam tips give my ears too much of a "Stuffed" feeling because of their expanding in the canal. Silicon tips seal better and are more comfortable over time. Once they're in there you can leave them in place. But I'd agree with the idea of using IEM and cans. IF you're going to need them for 48 hours, it might be a good idea to have an alternative or backup if one headphone gets too uncomfortable.

What tips did you use on the ER-4 you tried?

Nov 15, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #20 of 27
On the ER-4s: Yea, it depends on your ears, really. I find the Ety tri-flanged tips pretty comfy, but I've only had the ER-20 earplugs in. Are the ER-4 tips different? I can wear the ER-20 ones for hours, no problem, and I think I'm achieving a good seal. Good thing with the Etys - as with lots of other brands, really - is that you can scope out other tip options too. The Complys are a good place to start. fraseyboy also uses Shure tips for his ER-6is.

The ATH AD700s are supposed to be real comfy, so maybe the A700s would suit? Just throwing the suggestion out there, as I don't know what these sound like.

Nov 15, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #21 of 27
if you can find a used denon D5000, then go for it. It is the best comfortable headphone
However, i dont think you should use headphone 24 to 48 hr continuously . Your ear will be damaged

Nov 15, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #22 of 27
If you can find really comfy IEMs, go for it. Otherwise, I might think DT770's but no full size headphone will touch an IEM in terms of noise isolation.

Nov 15, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What tips did you use on the ER-4 you tried?

I had middle sized silicons for half an hour and was
reasonably comfortable with them, given that I had
them on for the first time. Didn't try others.

Nov 15, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ATH AD700s are supposed to be real comfy, so maybe the A700s would suit? Just throwing the suggestion out there, as I don't know what these sound like.

Indeed, I was suggested to look at ATH-A700 (closed ones),
they have large diameter earcups, but I just dont know
if the depth is sufficient. Major part of pain comes from
ears touching the bottom of cans.

Another suggestion was ATH-M50. Would it be good?

Perhaps I should have mentioned that SQ requirements are
pretty modest: frequency range used is merely 100-3000 Hz
(or less), although the response should be as flat as possible in that range.

Nov 15, 2008 at 8:55 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by va3ttn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had middle sized silicons for half an hour and was
reasonably comfortable with them, given that I had
them on for the first time. Didn't try others.

Then I'd go with an ER4 or ER6 for IEMS. I find that the medium size silicon tips for canalphones/IEMS are comfortable for me and I also like the 'standard' size rubber earplugs for hearing protection.

I'm not a fan of the foams, they tend to feel too stuffed in my ears plus I do think the sound is changed a but between silicon and foam tips. Plus the silicon tips are more durable and washable. The foam options, comply tips aren't washable and are a bit pricey. -I like silicon/rubber in earplugs as well. The three-flanged ones(similar to the ER-20) are much better for me to wear at work outside in the summer since they washed if they get sweaty.

Nov 15, 2008 at 8:55 AM Post #27 of 27
Yea, with your special requirements I wasn't thinking much about sound, really. I don't have either the A700 or the M50, so I'll let someone else chime in on these. Hopefully some owners will do a measurement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back