headphones for 200-250$
Nov 19, 2010 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

koltkommando

New Head-Fier
I have a music taste for rock, metal and other genres with beats.
I am yet to make my mind on which headphone to go for.
My budget allows me to go for headphones around 250$ and if there are any other neat headphones in a little higher side of my budget with better performance the budget version, my wallet is ready to take that damage.

regards and thanx

Nov 20, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 17
I choose to get Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm which i got for just $180 in New York cause they have great detailed mids and highs plus tight well defined and controlled punchy bass

Nov 20, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #4 of 17
I never heard Beyer 880 so can't speak about them but i tried several others including Beyer 770 32 Ohm and AKG K701 but still Beyers a best for me, i even thinking to recable them and currently communicating with zombie_x

Nov 20, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 17
Welcome to Head-Fi by the way.  In addition to the Beyers here are some recommendations for ya:

Sennheiser HD595

Denon AH-D2000

Ultrasone HFi 680, HFi 780, HFI 2400, PRO 750, PRO 2500

Grado SR225i, SR325i

AKG K 242HD

All of these 'phones either fall into your price range or are a little higher, are stellar options and you really can't go wrong with any of them.  But, for your musical preferences I would suggest taking a close look at the Grados, Denons and Ultrasones.

Nov 21, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #7 of 17
Second the grado vote. They have an amazing ability to punch you in the face with their clarity and extended bass, but at the same time sing with silky smooth mids. Don't get them if you like listening to music loud, though (they're certainly not for the feint of heart).

Welcome to head-fi!

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
Welcome to Head-Fi by the way.  In addition to the Beyers here are some recommendations for ya:

Sennheiser HD595

Denon AH-D2000

Ultrasone HFi 680, HFi 780, HFI 2400, PRO 750, PRO 2500

Grado SR225i, SR325i

AKG K 242HD

All of these 'phones either fall into your price range or are a little higher, are stellar options and you really can't go wrong with any of them.  But, for your musical preferences I would suggest taking a close look at the Grados, Denons and Ultrasones.

Grado is sure in my radar and so the Beyer DT's
In split mind i am right now.Do the Grado have an issue with comfort and the build? (talking about the SR225i and MS1i)

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
Second the grado vote. They have an amazing ability to punch you in the face with their clarity and extended bass, but at the same time sing with silky smooth mids. Don't get them if you like listening to music loud, though (they're certainly not for the feint of heart).

Welcome to head-fi!

Thanks for the feed.
Do they have issues with build and comfort?

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #11 of 17
All Beyer headphones need an amp to get the real deal; even the 32 ohms. They're not very efficient cans at all; I would only recommend them if you plan to get an amp soon, and a desktop amp not a portable one. The E9 is perfect which has been suggested in your other thread. If you go with the E9, get the 600 ohm version and be done with it.

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
All Beyer headphones need an amp to get the real deal; even the 32 ohms. They're not very efficient cans at all; I would only recommend them if you plan to get an amp soon, and a desktop amp not a portable one. The E9 is perfect which has been suggested in your other thread. If you go with the E9, get the 600 ohm version and be done with it.

What is your view on the Grados? (Sr80i/SR225i. MS1i)
Will i be doing justice to the Beyer with an E9 or should i do more damage to my wallet ?

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #13 of 17
The E9 will do more than justice (I own the E7/E9 and DT 880).

I love my Grado's, and I got my friend the old MS1 years back. Very good open cans.

I suppose I just prefer neutral sound more often than not and feel my DT 880 is more versatile. The comfort is outstanding.

Nov 21, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
Thanks for the feed.
Do they have issues with build and comfort?

The only issue that's related to the 225s (or any grado headphone) are the pads.  For most people, including myself, without sennheiser HD414 pads, they're tinny and ear-piercingly harsh.  Once you put on these pads (optionally cutting a hole through the middle), they sing like no other, especially for funk and rock.

The thing that's always interesting about grados is their sound.  It's extremely distinctive - no other headphone on the market (at least that I'm aware of) seems to be able to capture that sound.  Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is a matter of taste.  But at the very least, once wearing the grados you'll immediately appreciate and understand what high quality headphones are.

One thing to realize is that if you get a grado, you won't have much of a sound stage.  In my opinion, grados are good at one thing (and they do it amazingly well) - rock and funk.  If your tastes ever change, however, you may be realizing that the grado won't cut it.  I know I did, which is why I got the AKG k601s (by the way, probably not at all a good can for you - they're best for classical IMO).

Another potentially suitable alternative is the Sennheiser 595s.  They're likely more versatile than the grados, though I haven't tried them so I cannot be certain.  They may not capture the sound in quite the special way that the grados will, but they will give you more options down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back