Headphones for 100
Mar 10, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #3 of 4
Hey coolface!  I just joined head-fi myself.  I've been in the market for some closed cans for less than $100 and have received some great feedback.  Check out this link to a thread that I created...I got some really useful help:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/543325/overwhelmed-best-all-around-headphones-for-ipod-100

From what I've gathered, it really depends on what you're looking for.  Personally, I'm a bit of a basshead
gs1000.gif
As you'll see on the thread, the Sony XB500s were highly recommended to me.  You can get them for $49.99 on Amazon, they pack some powerful lows, and with an EQ, they can be made to sound very well-rounded in the mid/high frequencies.  I got a nice demo on them at Best Buy and I was impressed!  You can check them out on the Sony website as well in their "Extra Bass" subsection under headphones.

If you're looking for something a bit more well-rounded with perhaps less emphasis on booming bass, LOTS of people around head-fi have great things to say about the ATH-M50.  It doesn't pack the kind of bass that the XB500 does, but it probably delivers more quality throughout the rest of the frequency range.  You can those on Amazon for ~$100.  I recommend checking out some other forum posts about it...make sure to look at some of the comparison graphs that people posted on the aformentioned thread!  They're really helpful and they reveal the frequency distributions of some of the headphones I've mentioned.

Good luck!

Mar 10, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #4 of 4
Music genres: dub/electro/hiphop/dnb/a bit everything rly
Portable?: No need
Price range:  around 100e
Closed/Open: dosent really matter
Other: just wanna headphones with "good" soundquality for the price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back