Headphones for ~$100 metal/rock
Jul 21, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #31 of 85
Anyone else have an opinion on whether or not the SR-125s or SR-225s are worth the extra cash over the SR-80s? I'd like to buy one of them relatively soon and I can't find any topics here that talk about the increased price on the higher models.

Jul 21, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #32 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfindon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else have an opinion on whether or not the SR-125s or SR-225s are worth the extra cash over the SR-80s? I'd like to buy one of them relatively soon and I can't find any topics here that talk about the increased price on the higher models.

Based on how much I disliked my SR80, that I have not listened to any other Grado cans, and a quick search and little reading, I'd say the SR225 would be worth the extra money. I easily found info on these including old HeadFi threads with Google.

Jul 21, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #34 of 85
if you're not going to upgrade for awhile, i think its better to just go to SR225, you won't regret it
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #35 of 85
I'm sure I wouldn't but that's about $100 more than I wanted to spend. 30-50 more I can almost see, but $100 is a bit nuts for me right now.

What about the Equation Audio RP-21s? Googling SR-80 vs RP-21 didn't really turn anything up. I hate how they look, but if they're better than the SR-80s I may have to deal with that.

Jul 21, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #36 of 85
RP21 is closed cans, well never heard them anyway, IMO its better if u save some money to buy one cans that will satisfy your needs than to rush buy one cans and later buy another cans to your liking

i'm fine with my MS1 and just finish VWAP mods, and i feel satisfied by the bass, details, oh sweet mids, smooth highs
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #37 of 85
Well I don't think I'll have to run out and buy other ones, the only other headphones I have to compare them with are the PX100s, so I'm sure they sound better than that
smily_headphones1.gif
I read that the RP-21s are closed, but I wasn't sure if that affected the actual sound they make or if it just cut the outside noise out.

I don't know much about headphones right now, these would be my first quality pair.

Jul 21, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #38 of 85
I have both the SR80s and the RP21s. I just recommended the opposite to someone else, but I think you would be happiest with the SR80s. I think that the 21s are a better all-around can if you were also going to be listening to jazz, classical, etc and they would definitely sound good with metal and some acoustic.

However, there is nothing like the Grado sound with guitars. The 21s do have better bass but I don't think it would be enough to make up for the enjoyment you would be missing out on with the synergy between the Grados and hard rock.

From what I've read, the jump to the 125s would not really be worth it but going all the way to the 225s would. Sounds like you have already nixed this idea. Probably best just to jump in with the 80s and see how much you like the Grado sound before you start climbing the ladder too far. Others have the opposite opinion on this - that you may as well spend the money up front instead of pay twice by upgrading later.

EDIT: By the way, if you are a first time buyer from TTVJ.com you can get a registration discount and get the price for the 225s down to about $175 EDIT EDIT ($165). I've seen them resell for $165 or more where the 80s are probably going to resell somewhere in the $60s. I don't know if this matters at all.

Jul 21, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #39 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by bebanovich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both the SR80s and the RP21s. I just recommended the opposite to someone else, but I think you would be happiest with the SR80s. I think that the 21s are a better all-around can if you were also going to be listening to jazz, classical, etc and they would definitely sound good with metal and some acoustic.

However, there is nothing like the Grado sound with guitars. The 21s do have better bass but I don't think it would be enough to make up for the enjoyment you would be missing out on with the synergy between the Grados and hard rock.

From what I've read, the jump to the 125s would not really be worth it but going all the way to the 225s would. Sounds like you have already nixed this idea. Probably best just to jump in with the 80s and see how much you like the Grado sound before you start climbing the ladder too far. Others have the opposite opinion on this - that you may as well spend the money up front instead of pay twice by upgrading later.

Thanks. Lately I have been listening to a couple acoustic instrumental CDs, namely Andy McKee, so I'm not sure how they would sound on the 80s but virtually everything else I listen to on my players is rock and metal. I listen to jazz too but that's really only when I have internet radio on my PDA going.

I'm not totally against spending the money on the 225s, I just would prefer not to right now, and I never thought about not liking Grado's sound, wouldn't be good to spend near $200 on something and have it turn out that I don't like the style of sound that comes with it.

I really wish I could find a place to test these things out.

Jul 21, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #40 of 85
If you live near Los Angeles, there is a place that lets you test them out. Otherwise, you can order them from Todd the Vinyl Junkie and take a minimal hit when you resell them here.

Jul 21, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #41 of 85
I live in Pennsylvania
smily_headphones1.gif

I just emailed a music store around here to ask if they had the headphones in stock and if I could test them out first. It's a Dave Philips and they sell all kinds of instruments so it's worth a shot. I bought my PX-100s there.

The 225s for $175 is still in the back of my mind though...

EDIT: With shipping and a 2% discount for the newsletter I signed up for, total would be about $179.50.

Jul 21, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #43 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheba63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you just sign up there? If so, you should have gotten an email with a code for $10 off on your first purchase.

My mistake, with the best price and the new user discount you should get down to $165 after you register. Now I remember why I had these in a shopping cart for so long trying to find a way to tell my wife.
wink.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 8:50 AM Post #44 of 85
akg k-81dj is an extremely fun headphone for rock (i used it 5 days a week for a whole school year listening to rock/metal)

Its sound is decent but the bass is very overpowering
basshead.gif

It is very versatile and way within your budget and the highs are not as harsh as grados.

Jul 21, 2007 at 9:19 AM Post #45 of 85
well i agree, u should audition them, try if u like the sound signature of grados, then SR225 would be good buy
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back