Headphones for ~$100 metal/rock
Jul 21, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #61 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$285 is MS-2i territory which would sound better than either the SR-80 or MS-1. I'm surprised you didn't recommend that option.

And I re-read and edited my response and took out the price...but you were on me. :p

Ya know; I almost DID!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

...but I figured the price range that was being considered was in the $100US range, and if raspekaker was really a Grado-type listener, that getting MS2i might end up being a very expensive disappointment.
frown.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #62 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$285 is MS-2i territory which would sound better than either the SR-80 or MS-1. I'm surprised you didn't recommend that option.

And I re-read and edited my response and took out the price...but you were on me. :p

Hm, that was also what I thought after looking at Alessandro's web site, but will they work well without an amp?

Jul 21, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #63 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by raspekaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hm, that was also what I thought after looking at Alessandro's web site, but will they work well without an amp?

I don't have a 1/4 to 1/8" adapter for my MS2i, so I haven't heard them unamped. But they do play a bit more loudly than my MS-1 on my amp, so I suspect they will work very well without one.

A lot of folks suggest that even though they do play well un amped, that they do play just that much better with one; that the amp of course tends to bring out the finer aspects of the phones.

Needless to say; you'd want to be sure that the Alessandro sound is the one you were after.
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #64 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by raspekaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

my ms-1 work just fine with ipod, but when amped, they give slight improvement, i think all headphones will improve if amped
but ms-1 will do just fine without amping

Jul 22, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #66 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfindon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will the 225s be just as well off without an amp? I thought they required around the same as the SR-80s.

It appears that the higher you go up the Grado/Alessandro ladder, the more an amp is "appreciated" by the phones.

Otherwise they are just as efficient as the lower versions and just as capable of giving the same performance un-amped.

...it's just that an amp tends to show off the better details of the better phones more clearly and cleanly.

Jul 22, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #68 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't read this thread in a while. Did you guys talk him into 225s? LOL! Way to go!

Haha, I kind of nickel and dimed myself up there
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

It appears that the higher you go up the Grado/Alessandro ladder, the more an amp is "appreciated" by the phones.

Otherwise they are just as efficient as the lower versions and just as capable of giving the same performance un-amped.

...it's just that an amp tends to show off the better details of the better phones more clearly and cleanly.

So I guess in that regard the 225s will give me more room to grow if/when I decided to amp whatever MP3 player I get. Will they sound any different to the 80s when they're unamped?

Jul 22, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #69 of 85
Quote:

So I guess in that regard the 225s will give me more room to grow if/when I decided to amp whatever MP3 player I get. Will they sound any different to the 80s when they're unamped?

I haven't heard either SR-80 or SR-225 so I can't speak from experience(and probably shouldn't!), but my understanding is that the SR-225 has more in common with the signature of the RS-1 than SR-80, and that it's the most refined of all the current plastic Grados. And that even without an amp this refinement is quite noticeable. WITH an amp it gets even better yet!

...or so they say!

Jul 22, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #70 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard either SR-80 or SR-225 so I can't speak from experience(and probably shouldn't!), but my understanding is that the SR-225 has more in common with the signature of the RS-1 than SR-80, and that it's the most refined of all the current plastic Grados. And that even without an amp this refinement is quite noticeable. WITH an amp it gets even better yet!

...or so they say!

Sounds good to me, seems like I'd be set for awhile if I got these and sometime down the road decided to amp whatever I was using.

Jul 22, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #71 of 85
Quote:

Will the 225s be just as well off without an amp? I thought they required around the same as the SR-80s.

Yes...the 225s can be driven fine without an amp. I think every headphone improves with an amp. I honestly think you'll be blown away even without one. Amps with Grados are optional....they aren't required.

Jul 22, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #72 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...or so they say!

I'll agree with this. The 225s are more detailed and relaxed and the 80s are punchier and have more kick. headphonejunkie has both. He could give you a better comparison between the two.

A buddy of mine and I compared the 325i and 225s side by side unamped, and we couldn't immediately tell the differences. The 225s are definitely a bargain and have much love.

Jul 22, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #73 of 85
I guess I'll probably have to re-encode my music and such because I'll be able to hear how crappy it sounds. I have a lot more reading to do about that whole subject so I'll get started on it today some time.

Jul 22, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #74 of 85
Quote:

I guess I'll probably have to re-encode my music and such because I'll be able to hear how crappy it sounds. I have a lot more reading to do about that whole subject so I'll get started on it today some time.

Yup; the better the phones; the better the recording should be!
tongue.gif

...even more damage to the wallet!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back