Headphones collection?
Apr 29, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #31 of 63
Though I haven't heard the 009 as of yet but with the majority of other can's. I don't think I will be satisfied with just the 009 alone given the general description of there sound from people I trust as I listen to a wide variety of genres and subgenres of that genre etc. The 009 may be great to alot of people with reference based genres (classical, jazz etc) but for other people such as bassheads or people who stick to only CIEM's etc, they won't like it, it's the same for example some people that I know that owned the 009 for a little while and then went back to there LCD2/3, Hifimans etc.

That said if you have a lot of money to throw around, why not invest in separate standalone rigs featuring all the flagships from every well known manufacturer? It becomes pretty fun, something I'm doing now but the problem is I'm out of money.

Apr 29, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #32 of 63
I plan to have LCD-3 at home and STAX SR-009(still under order from japan) in my office, or vice versa :)
Thats the only way for me to justify ownership of several headphones. I also have third pair, HD650, which will probably go for sale when I receive the stax.

Apr 29, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #33 of 63
IMO,  high end headphones will only sound as good as the Source and Amp driving them. [ especially the Source ] I've the Senn HD-600's which cost me £269,  and my Source and Amp make them sound high end.

Apr 29, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #35 of 63
Captain Obvious contest today? 
size]

Apr 29, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #37 of 63
IMO,  high end headphones will only sound as good as the Source and Amp driving them. [ especially the Source ] I've the Senn HD-600's which cost me £269,  and my Source and Amp make them sound high end.

....and the cables will put u onto a live stage :wink::wink:

May 1, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #39 of 63
Quote:

Now that i have a high end source and amp, my Beats Pro sound like Staxs.

May 2, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #41 of 63
May 2, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #42 of 63
Quote:

You won't need to buy any Stax then, will you.

Nope, i'm glad i took you're advice, you just saved me a lot of money
wink.gif

May 3, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #43 of 63
Every time I've mentioned about the source, which I've done several times, has been done after reading posts where headfiers have said how amazing their headphones and headphone amps sound, but without saying anything about the source. As we know, we can have high end headphones and amps, but we'll hear nothing without the source. It would be more helpful to those of us that have very little knowledge about audio gear, if when someone wrote their thoughts about how good their headphones sounded driven by a certain amp, they included what source is being used.

I once had the SR007mk1's / SRM-007t, at the time I had those two, my source was mediocre, and I was very disappointed with how the 007's sounded, so much so I didn't hesitate in using them along with the SRM-007t as part exchange towards getting the source I have now. Since that time, I've heard IanG's 007mk1's [ which he no longer has ] with my BHSE and my main source, and I wish I'd never let the SR-007mk1's go, [ the SRM007t, I was glad to be shut of it ] Ian's 007's sounded completely different to how mine sounded with the stax amp and source I had. 

I find, even with the combo of my HD-600 / Pico Slim / K-01, sounds better than the SR-007mk1 / SRM-007t and the source I had at that time, although the SR-007's to what I can recall, were more airy.

May 3, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #45 of 63
Quote:Stacker45
Now that i have a high end source and amp, my Beats Pro sound like Staxs.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
Nothing could ever make beats sound good except tossing them into a trashcan and making a valid substitution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back