Headphones collection?
Feb 25, 2013 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

Sahara

100+ Head-Fier
What do you think about headphones collections?

My situation is that I currently have a Stax SR-009 and a Sennheiser HD800. Until recently  the possibility of purchasing a LCD-3 and still others had planned me, but once I have the SR-009 and checked its tremendous potential I have thought that perhaps my primary idea is absurd and that any model will be designed to be stored in a drawer.

As a general rule we tend to use the model that give us more satisfaction, but it is also influenced by objective parameters, which assist in achieving greater enjoyment.With the SR-009 on these parameters the differences are very apparent.

Don't you think that means to have untapped other models which do not give use and also lose value post sale? . If it is not for the simple sake of collecting headphones is not more logical to think in a superlative model that in a several number of lower category
headphones?

I see people with various models and wonder if it is normal that is listening to music with one of them knowing that we have others who do it better...

Cheers

Feb 26, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #3 of 63
I have a Senn IE8 & iPhone 4S I use away from home. They are the only headsets that I will keep for the service that they provide...and only the the SR009. None more..

Not necessary. My satisfaction quota has been covered with the SR-009..

iTunes Match away home is simply wonderful...

Feb 26, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #5 of 63
Quote:
I have a Senn IE8 & iPhone 4S I use away from home. They are the only headsets that I will keep for the service that they provide...and only the the SR009. None more..

Not necessary.

Wrong.  Custom IEMs are necessary for you.  Report back when you get them.

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #6 of 63
Quote:

Wrong.  Custom IEMs are necessary for you.  Report back when you get them.

Wrong. I need a bigger ear to put a Stax SR-009 like an IEMs
gs1000.gif
. That would be a good idea...

If it is not possible...a smaller SR-009.
smily_headphones1.gif
Another good idea...

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #7 of 63
Quote:
Do you still use your HD800's?

I find I end up spending most my time with my SR-009's home and the SE-535's when I'm mobile... :-/

No. After having the SR-009, I do not use the HD800. The Stax are better in all parameters except the width soundstage. It makes me sad to have the HD800 unused in a drawer.Precisely I was asking about the necessity of having several headphones when there is one that makes the difference...

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #8 of 63
Wrong. I need a bigger ear to put a Stax SR-009 like an IEMs :gs1000smile: . That would be a good idea...
 If it is not possible...a smaller SR-009.:) Another good idea...

STAX makes IEM's aswell? :wink:

No. After having the SR-009, I do not use the HD800. The Stax are better in all parameters except the width soundstage. It makes me sad to have the HD800 unused in a drawer.Precisely I was asking about the necessity of having several headphones when there is one that makes the difference...

Yeah same here... My HD800 is collecting dust :frowning2:

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #9 of 63
This a very interesting topic for me as well.  I like having different headphones, because it's fun and interesting.  I don't go high-end on $:

SR325i
ATH A900 (for sale, BTW)
Maddogs
and a few IEMs

I was looking for one more set to round out this group.  Music=wide variety (not much jazz).  Leaving out amps for the moment (well, FiiO E17; Asgard 2 coming), what would be a good third set to add, but not duplicate this group?  

Cheers.

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #10 of 63
A used Stax system.  SRM-1/mk2 amp + a pair of Lambda Pros.  Should be able to do it for $400-$500 if you are patient, and it will melt your current collection.

Mar 18, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #11 of 63
Quote:
I see people with various models and wonder if it is normal that is listening to music with one of them knowing that we have others who do it better...

Cheers

Hi, I was curious if you have owned an 07? I dive bombed (no pun) into Stax with an 09/727 hoping to ease my mind. I had similar thoughts of acquiring a headphone that could outperform anything else and be done with the search. The thought of collecting less capable headphones has never been appealing, I knew that I would always reach for the "best" pair while the others collect dust. 

To my ignorance, I recently acquired an 07mk1/323s for the Wifealiser, lets just say, it has really thrown me for a loop. I am finally seeing why people have an array of headphones, especially these. To just have one pair though.....I never thought it would even be a question. For now, I will love them as my children from different mothers until my BHSE arrives, then make some decisions.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #12 of 63
Hi, I was curious if you have owned an 07? I dive bombed (no pun) into Stax with an 09/727 hoping to ease my mind. I had similar thoughts of acquiring a headphone that could outperform anything else and be done with the search. The thought of collecting less capable headphones has never been appealing, I knew that I would always reach for the "best" pair while the others collect dust. 

To my ignorance, I recently acquired an 07mk1/323s for the Wifealiser, lets just say, it has really thrown me for a loop. I am finally seeing why people have an array of headphones, especially these. To just have one pair though.....I never thought it would even be a question. For now, I will love them as my children from different mothers until my BHSE arrives, then make some decisions.

Did you try the 009's with the 323S?
Yes I know it's supposed to be inferior to the 727 but to my ears it's actually preferable... :-/

I only heard the 007mk2 vs. 009, but I could not for the life of me like the 007's... :-/

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #13 of 63
Quote:
Did you try the 009's with the 323S?
Yes I know it's supposed to be inferior to the 727 but to my ears it's actually preferable... :-/

I only heard the 007mk2 vs. 009, but I could not for the life of me like the 007's... :-/

I really like the 323 as well, I swapped between it and the 727 using the 007/009. I just sent my 727 out to be modded, for now I just have the 323, looking forward to getting the 727 back and taking a listen.

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #14 of 63
I really like the 323 as well, I swapped between it and the 727 using the 007/009. I just sent my 727 out to be modded, for now I just have the 323, looking forward to getting the 727 back and taking a listen.

Interested to hear your impressions on it when it comes back..
What mod did you get?

I opted for a LL mk2 actually...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back