Headphones... But which ones?
Feb 6, 2011 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mariogv

Head-Fier
Hello guys! I am new in Head-Fi and I've started this thread because I don't seem able to find the perfect pair of headphones for my needs, so I thought a little help from the experts in the field would do me no harm. This is what I want:

A pair of full-size cirmunaural headphones to go with the FiiO E7 + FiiO E9 combo that I am going to buy. It will be used in two different ways:

1. Connected to my PC using the E7 as the DAC and the E9 as the amp.
  2. Connected to my iPod touch 4G 32 GB (with line-out) amped by the E7.

The genres of music that I normaly listen to are:

1. Heavy Metal (Of all kinds, including extreme subgenres as Death Metal and Black Metal)
  2. Classical Music.
  3. Rock.
  4. Jazz.

Therefore, I need that my headphones offer a good sound in all genres. Some characteristics that I consider important after my research are:

1. Detail. This is my priority, I want to be able to hear clearly every instrument individually.Good SQ in the whole spectrum.
  2. Soundstage.
  3. Bass quality. I don't want lots of bass, I want it to sound good. I think they call it articulated bass.

Finally, my budget is $225. (I will consider buying used headphones)

Can you guys help me? I am a noob at this and I appreciate every kind of advice you can give me.

Feb 6, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 13
Please some help?
confused.gif

Feb 6, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #4 of 13
imadome I didn't understand your reply...
confused.gif

Feb 6, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #6 of 13
Wether they are open or closed doesn't matter, but open cans normally have a higher SQ, so probably I'll end up getting open headphones, but if someone suggests a pair of closed headphones that has better sound quality than its contenders, I will consider buying them.

Feb 6, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #7 of 13
Suggestions? :/ I thought I was going to recieve more feedback...

Feb 6, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 13
Any open headphone will be a pain on the go. My suggestion is to split your budget between two headphones, IEMs for the go and full-sized for home. Grado SR60i, or the SR80is would be perfect for your preferred listening for home. They aren't the most versatile headphones, but for the genres you listed they kick ass. Neither particularly has a lot of bass, but they kick your ears ass.

Then you need to find on the go headphones, perhaps D-Jays? If you check the Sea Blue ones they are on sale for $42. I don't think it's possible to beat that price to be honest.

If you push your budget up slightly you could get the D-Jays and the Grado SR225i which are considered the best of the prestige line by many over their big brother the 325i. 

If you're not up for that, then perhaps the Beyerdynamic DT770 600ohm version. I've heard they are pretty balanced for all around music and should offer enough isolation for on the go.

Edit: I wanted to add that Grado's don't exactly have a vast soundstage, but they are detailed and a great value.

Feb 6, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #9 of 13
Personally I'd go with a used MDR-SA5000.  Denon AH-D2000 would be a fine choice at that price (new) - it's a great jack-of-all-trades headphone (but master of none?).

Drew 

Feb 7, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #10 of 13
Thanks for your feedback! 
normal_smile .gif

Quote:
Any open headphone will be a pain on the go. My suggestion is to split your budget between two headphones, IEMs for the go and full-sized for home.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I already have a nice pair of IEMs (Klipsch Image S4s) + a pair of PortaPros to listen on the go. What I need is a full sized pair of headphones to use in my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keanex /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Grado SR60i, or the SR80is would be perfect for your preferred listening for home.

Thanks for your recommendation but I am not very keen on grados because, for what I know, they sound great with rock (and metal), but not so good with other genres. Also, they aren't circumnaural and I've they aren't very comfortable and durable. I need my phones to sound allways good, no matter what I listen to through them.

Quote:
Personally I'd go with a used MDR-SA5000.  Denon AH-D2000 would be a fine choice at that price (new) - it's a great jack-of-all-trades headphone (but master of none?).

I'll take the MDR-SA500 into consideration, but I don't know much about Sony's headphones (though the frequency response on those ones is amazing :O). By the way, are you kidding me? ¬¬ New D2000s for under $230? O.o In amazon they sell for $350... Please send me a link of the offer!

I was liking a lot the Denons until I read that the volume didn't go higher and lower throughout the song, but rather kept allways at the same level. I had one mp3 that had an option to do this, and I didn't like it.

But again, thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it! Keep the suggestions coming!

Feb 7, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #11 of 13
Hmm, D2000 prices really fluctuate, I bought mine new from Amazon in September for $215...  I actually bought a pair of D5000s from them last week for $399...  

Drew

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #12 of 13
I think I am going to buy a refurbished HD 650s from amazon for $310, It has the full sennheiser warranty so I think It's quite safe...

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #13 of 13

FYI, people are reporting in the Deals thread that J&R is selling the D2000 for under $200 and the HD650 new for $329 shipped if you call and ask...

Quote:
I think I am going to buy a refurbished HD 650s from amazon for $310, It has the full sennheiser warranty so I think It's quite safe...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back